rusty
    1954 BelAir

Need swap advice

Just to give a better idea of what we're talking about here, the swap in question is going into my 54 Chevy with a currently empty engine bay with no updating (yet) or trace of any previously installed driveline.

So I found a pretty sick deal on a 5.3L with decently low miles, but it doesn't come with any accessories/brackets, harness, or ecu. The guy said he will include the stuff for an extra 250ish, but I'm planning on going with the car style intake and fuel rail covers so should I go with the car (fbod) configuration accessories? I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to get the truck stuff or will I be able to piece together the car accessory setup for just as much or less? Keep in mind I'll be needing the harness and ecu either way.

Tia for any help
    Last edited by stmotorsports; 09-14-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

What accessories do you want to utilize?

PERSONALLY, I prefer to have less running off the belt. I currently have no power steering (manual rack), electric water pump, no A/C, and only the alternator being driven by the belt.

Usually with the older cars and LSx swaps you run into problems with the lower accessories (A/C compressor and alternator) contacting the k-member. You have two options...notch the k-member or move the accessories to the top. I know there are a few companies out there at offer alternator relocation kits...I'm not sure about A/C relocation.

yellow
    2004 gto

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    What accessories do you want to utilize?

PERSONALLY, I prefer to have less running off the belt. I currently have no power steering (manual rack), electric water pump, no A/C, and only the alternator being driven by the belt.

Usually with the older cars and LSx swaps you run into problems with the lower accessories (A/C compressor and alternator) contacting the k-member. You have two options...notch the k-member or move the accessories to the top. I know there are a few companies out there at offer alternator relocation kits...I'm not sure about A/C relocation.
    How do you like you're manual steering?

rusty
    1954 BelAir

Ideally I prefer to have the least amount of stuff running off the belt on n/a applications (which I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep the car at this point) and where 1- every last hp counts, which in this case it doesn't. I'm building it for a simple weekend cruiser, it's not going to be a dyno queen and I don't plan on racing it. And/or 2- mpg is a top priority, which again for this car it's not really. I have my econobox that I use for commuting during the week, the 54 is to be my weekend escape from that

So to answer your question I intend to be running full accessories. The car currently has the original manual steering but I will most likely end up either going with a jag setup or clipping it altogether with some form of ps. So the front crossmember issue may end up solving itself(?).

Do I definitely need to swap over to the car style setup? I searched pretty extensively and couldn't seem to find a 100% straight yes or no on that. Not just for frame/clearance issues but to clear the car style intake/tb/rail covers? The guy is holding the engine order for me until I decide whether I want the accessories or not

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith564` View Post
    How do you like you're manual steering?
    Only driven 20 miles so far. It sucks pulling out of my driveway, but when the car is moving, I barely notice the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by stmotorsports View Post
    Do I definitely need to swap over to the car style setup? I searched pretty extensively and couldn't seem to find a 100% straight yes or no on that. Not just for frame/clearance issues but to clear the car style intake/tb/rail covers? The guy is holding the engine order for me until I decide whether I want the accessories or not
    Unfortunately, you'll probably have to buy them, mock everything up, and if they don't work, sell them to someone else for what you paid for them.

rusty
    1954 BelAir

From what I'm finding it sounds like I can expect the truck accessories to fit better in the chassis, but I need the car setup to fit the car style top end. Hmm... Anyone have any thoughts here?

I may just spring for the truck accessories with the engine and build custom brackets to mount everything where I need them...??

Also, is there any advantage of going with a car ecu vs a truck unit? ie tuning or anything?
    Last edited by stmotorsports; 09-15-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Thread Information