silver
    1999 trans am

need some HELP!!!

I have a 99 ls1 with a hooker headers and exhaust with no cats just my plug in o2 sensors. my problem is it is having heavy back fire running very rich that u can smell it. when it is just idling it runs fine when u get on it at all it has a loss of power it bucks and backfires. it seems like it cuts in and out and the backfiring is very bad i have never had a car do this or even seen it. i replaced the plugs and that didnt change anything. i also unplugged my MAF and with it un plugged it still ran the same. what could be causing this problem. would a air pump being bad cause this kind of problem? i could use some help guys.

black
    2002 WS6

Have you had the car tuned? Any codes? have you checked all the waring for any burnt or melted wires?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how long have the headers been on the car? It sounds like either a burned O2 wire or you have issues with your O2's one way or the other. How does it run when you first start the car?

silver
    1999 trans am

i have thrown some codes one being the secndary air pump. last night i found a crack in my header and i got it welded up today and the backfiring went away and the car runs alot better. the bucking almost stopped but it is still there. there are no wires burnt i checked for all that i think because of the crack near my breathing tube on my header that it was sucking to much air and my o2 sensor was reading all wacked out readings. i am not sure but i wish the car still didnt buck at a high rpm.

silver
    1999 trans am

the headers are only about a year old but they only have between 5000 and 10,000 miles on them. it seems like ever since i installed them i have had a problem with my car running very rich.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sure what you're calling "bucking" isn't a misfire? How many miles on the plugs and wires?

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

mine ran rich after headers. if you dont have a tune you really nead to get one.
    LS6 Engine swap, Custom Predator Tune, Lid, SLP Cold Air, Ram Air H.O. Hood, Hooker Long Tubes, !Cats, 3" True Duals w/Dynomax Bullets, Performabuilt stage 2 w/3600 stall, B&M Trans. Cooler, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73's

Pics of my car
    http://community.webshots.com/user/demonspeed_ta

silver
    1999 trans am

the plugs and wires i just replaced. one of the codes that poped up i found out was a PO102 witch is a MAF and EGR code so what i did was cleaned my MAF sensor and cleaned my throttle body and everything is now working ok knock on wood. the weird thing is i cleaned it the other day and nothing changed went back and did it again and it worked goes to show u that sometimes your problem is something simple and u need to go over it again 2 or 3 times to double check yourself. i do not have a tune on my car but am looking for one just not sure how to go about doing it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Get some software and tune it yourself or find a professional tuner. But you need a tune for it to run right.

Thread Information