white
    98 SS

Need serious speedwork advice

I was going to bolt on longtubes (and ORY) and install a cam until my mechanic told me that the labor to install these two are like 20-25 hours. At 75 bucks an hour, that is a lot of money per horse. He stated that a suoercharger is almost triple the power for only 2x the cost. Is this what everyone else has experienced, or is this guy hosing me? I am in south Florida and really wanted the Lt's/cam, but want bang for the buck! Please help.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

When I got my car, I ran to my mechanic and asked him about a Stall Converter, Headers, Cams, and even Gears. He told me it was 13hours for a Cam job ($975.00) and each other thing is about over a $1000.00. I'm stickin to easy bolt-on stuff right now.

quicky06
    do your self a favor and shop around a bit. headers you can do on your own all you need is a grinder or a dremel(take alot of time) with a sanding pad. and some wrenches. the hard part is getting the exausht behind it put togeather.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

This guy sounds like a moron. It does not take 22 hours to do exhaust and headers. At the most it should take 6-7 hours. I was able to do myne on my old car in about 6 hours with hand tools in a driveway. He has a lift and air tools, it should not take that long. You would want longtubes anyhow if you think about running a supercharger.

white
    98 SS

that is exactly what i was thinking (lt's w/ a charger).........Anyone know what type of labor is involved w/ installing a cam?

SOM
    2002 SOM Z28

All I got to say is LS1HowTo.com, print it out and do EVERYTHING yourself!!!!! Basic tools is all you need! And some free time!

Network
    Thanks for the site, looks like it has some good info on there.

White
    98 Trans AM

The mechanic is a theif!!! Like everyone else has said it does not take 22 -24 hours to do headers and exhaust. I will say that you should expect a few rough times here and there but you can do your headers and exhaust normally in 6 to 8 hours but definately over a weekend no problem. Depending on what supercharger you are looking at though time will vary. I would just promote you doing this yourself and ask someone who is familiar with F-bodies to help you. The cam can be done in what I would not say is easy but a weekend mech can handle it. Like I mentioned, if someone tells you it takes 6 hours make it 8. Good luck!

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Mithell's labor manual calls for 13.2 Hrs to change a cam in a 2000 f-body w/traction control & 6.9 Hrs to change the Ex. manifolds and crossover pipe.

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Perdue
    Mithell's labor manual calls for 13.2 Hrs to change a cam in a 2000 f-body w/traction control & 6.9 Hrs to change the Ex. manifolds and crossover pipe.
    That's what I said above. 13hrs for the cam job = $975.00. That's alotta freakin money to me especially after you buy the camshaft and pushrods...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Perdue
    a half decent ls1 tuner can have everything done in 8 hours.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Well if thats all you do you might (but I doubt it) get it done in 8Hrs. But the average shop is going to charge you what a labor guide calls for. Just because he can do it faster doesn't mean he will only charge you 8hrs too.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

There's actually 2 pretty good cam install write-ups on ls1howto...http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23 and
    http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=2

You'll need to buy a few tools like a pulley puller but it's a lot cheaper then $1000 labor...and you can always have a tow truck on stand-by just in case

white
    98 SS

Thanks for the advice - I decided not to go w/ the cam and just do the Lt's and ORY for now. I asked around and found another local guy (who is highly recommended) who said 6-8 hrs for job. So, I guess he is more in line. I just hope all goes well - I hear lots about throwing codes, etc w/ Lt's.

Thread Information