Black
    2000 Camaro

need serious help with gauges

so i bought my car,a 2000 camaro z28 M6, but the guy who had it before me had put in an aftermarket white faced guage face, in which the lights did not work. i took it apart, hoping that the white face was just placed on top of the original black face, but there was no black face behind it. i honestly have no idea what to do, do i get a whole new cluster or can i just take the black face off of a cluster from like a junk yard, if i get a new cluster is the milage programmed into the cluster or into the car computer, cause i have seen clusters for sale with milage...any and all help would be appreciated. thanks everyone in advance.
    Last edited by Blk00Z28; 04-15-2009 at 08:31 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yes, the cluster holds the mileage so if you replace the cluster keep the mileage in mind. Have you looked to see why the lights don't work? Might be easier to get the lights working with your current cluster.

Black
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yes, the cluster holds the mileage so if you replace the cluster keep the mileage in mind. Have you looked to see why the lights don't work? Might be easier to get the lights working with your current cluster.
    yea iv taken it apart...there is nothing wrong with the cluster. the guage face has lights built into it, and they do not work, they cannot be changed or anything. its just a cheap one that is placed over the original, but the original face is not there anymore

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Blk00Z28 View Post
    yea iv taken it apart...there is nothing wrong with the cluster. the guage face has lights built into it, and they do not work, they cannot be changed or anything. its just a cheap one that is placed over the original, but the original face is not there anymore
    You can find someone on a forum that has one for sale after they replaced the stock overlay. The lights are replaceable..

Black
    2000 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    You can find someone on a forum that has one for sale after they replaced the stock overlay. The lights are replaceable..
    all i need is the overlay, the white face doesnt allow the lights from the original to shine through, because the face has lights built into it, all i need is the black overlay face

NBM
    2000 Trans Am Ws6 #2946

I have a camaro gauge cluster, but I stole the needles from it. I believe it's from a 98 or 99, but should be the same I guess. I'm not sure exactly what shape it's in, but I could sell you the black overlay only.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Conv.

You can get a cluster from ebay for $30. The face, needles, and the clear plastic it rests on will pry off, leaving the body of the cluster, odometer, etc. intact, then do the same with yours and swap them. If your current gauges are accurate, bring the car up to operating temp before you shut it down for the repair and note or photograph the needles. Then install the your original cluster with the new face and without the clear palstic face so you can access the needles. Bring it up to operating tempreature and check the needles and adjust. Take it for a drive and verify that the speedo is correct - if that's OK, then put the clear palstic face on, button it up and you're done.

Thread Information