Pewter
    2000 TransAm

Need to replace speedometer

Here's the quick story:
    I bought my T/A in late 06 and didnt need to get my emissions testing till the next year due to changing my tags. Come Nov 07 my car wont pass emissions! I put the car in the shop and had some emissions work done and MASSIVE body work just got it back and I found out my check engine light was "burnt" out. When I pulled the speedometer I found out the previous owner had ripped out the "check engine light" "check gauges light" "Airbag light" and any other light that made someone go HMMM!! YEP THATS RIGHT EVERYONE I"VE BOUGHT A LEMON!!! I've discovered more problems than I could imagine. HELP!! I've invested alot of time and money and I think if I replace the speedometer I should be good. I have a 2000 t/A what other cars fit my setup and do I have to find one with the same miles or is that stored in my computer?? THanks for any and all help the dealer I bought it from is not to concerned. Guess I got screwed

01 ta red
    95 mustangV6

check the parts for sale or trade section there are a couple of people parting out cars and I think there is one dash instrument cluster even.. sorry to hear you got a lemon just remember everything can be fixed just takes a little patience.

black
    2002 WS6

Question? why do you need a new speedo/ gauge cluster? did the previous owner/dealer damage it buy literally ripping out the lights? If they are not damaged they can be reaplced as far as my knowledge goes.

Witha ll those light missing and I presume you know this it was hit hard and got fucked. Probably an at fault and not claimed.

If you have to replace the cluster I don't think the milage will transfer over but not certain with the digital dashes. You will and it is suggested to cover your legal ass have the milage documented before and after the swap. Look for a certified shop to do this.

Also get everyhting done documented on paper and in pictures if possible for legal actions, you may be able to take the dealer to court for selling a potentially unsafe vehicle.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

so he broke the lights on the instrument cluster?

Pewter
    2000 TransAm

The previous owner had the car put through a CHEAPO repair shop I think, cause I had to replace the hood cause it seperated from itself. When I had it taken to my shop the guy said it had been wrecked BAD! But yes the previous owner went into the dash and pulled the bulbs that NEEDED to be pulled so he could sell it to the dealer. Two of bulbs that were pulled broke the back side of the circuit board so they would have to be rewire to the board
    Im STILL SOOOO PISSED!!!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by caveblazin View Post
    The previous owner had the car put through a CHEAPO repair shop I think, cause I had to replace the hood cause it seperated from itself. When I had it taken to my shop the guy said it had been wrecked BAD! But yes the previous owner went into the dash and pulled the bulbs that NEEDED to be pulled so he could sell it to the dealer. Two of bulbs that were pulled broke the back side of the circuit board so they would have to be rewire to the board
    Im STILL SOOOO PISSED!!!
    That sucks. The dealer might not have known. A warning for you and others, when you turn the key to the on position all lights should go on. Hope you can do something to recoup some money from it. Also check to make sure the car is still safe, there have been instances where people weld a good front onto a good back end.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I feel your pain... I bought a truck with 104K miles and turns out it had 174K from a dealer but all of the TXDOT and city people I called said there is nothing I can do. I don't think I can post a link, but if you want to send it off to a speedo shop I can PM you a really great place. I had sent mine on the truck because several of the wires were cut including the message as well.

Anyways... Good luck bro.!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    I feel your pain... I bought a truck with 104K miles and turns out it had 174K from a dealer but all of the TXDOT and city people I called said there is nothing I can do. I don't think I can post a link, but if you want to send it off to a speedo shop I can PM you a really great place. I had sent mine on the truck because several of the wires were cut including the message as well.

Anyways... Good luck bro.!
    Didn't it list the odometer reading on the back of the title? It should have been signed by the dealer too. Unless it was older and not needed to be listed.

Pewter
    2000 TransAm

Its been a nightmare but I think I can repair most of the ride OH WAIT I ALREADY HAVE LOL Im gonna try and take it to a local place that may be able to repair the bulbs circuitry and fix the rest of the speedo will keep you posted. I almost have a brand new car, hey it looks GREAT!! And now running awesome...

Thread Information