white
    2000 trans am

Need performance help

I have a 00 WS6 TransAM. I am looking for help and advice for performing mods to increase horsepower. The motor is a stock 5.7 liter. I would like to gain 100 to 200 HP (Or as close as possible) without pulling the motor or modifying the heads / cam ect. if possible. Would you please give me some advice so this bird will scream.

Thanks
    Greg

Red
    2000 Z28

n2o?

Pewter
    2002 WS6

+1 to N2O.
    | '02 WS6 M6 | KOOKS/ORY | LC-1 | LOU'S SS | UMI SFCs | BMN LCAs & RELOC's | Hotchkis STB | HSW 150 shot | Lid | 42# Lucas | HPTuner Pro |

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Bolt-ons and n20

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Wet 150shot will do it easily and inexpensively. You could also do a nice blower kit that would hit your goals with a fairly easy install...

white
    2000 trans am

Thanks for the advice. I am going to modify the ram air. There is only a half inch space in the hood so it is not getting as much air as it could. I am going to go with headers, upgrade the throttle body to a 85mm and MAF. I am unsure of the mufflers. I head that flow masters would actually rob hp. Any suggestions?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

The intake mouth is only 78-ish mm, so a bigger TB at this point won't help much. It would probably be more cost-effective to port/polish your factory TB. No need to upgrade the MAF either, save the money for something else. If you ABSOLUTELY MUST play with the MAF, get the ported ends so you can replace them if you have issues. As for cat-back mufflers...with headers I'd look at MagnaFlow, Hooker or B&B. It depends on your taste and budget...

white
    2000 trans am

Thanks I appreciate the help. There are so many different things out there it can make your head spin. Another question. The ram air hood. I noticed the nostrils are not fully open. I was going to cut the under side of the hood and run the filter without a lid. But I am now reading about the Volant cold air intake, k&n cold air. These systems are to be ran with a lid. I would think if you did not run a lid you would get more air flow. Does this sound right?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

If you get it some way to use a cone filter you would not need any filter, the way the intake on the LS1 is made is that most of the air ur getting is coming from underneath, without the lid your going to loose all the air and not get any into the TB. So yea you do need the lid

white
    2000 trans am

Thanks for the post. I was about to due some work to the hood. I had it backwards, I thought if I modified the hood vents and didnt run a lid I would be getting more HP because of the free flowing air from the hood nostrils. So what type of cold air sys do you recomend that would give me the most HP? Thanks again for the info

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

The hood nostrils are not straight through to prevent water intrusion during a rain storm or just washing the car; I would not modify that at all.

As far as CAI, there is another thread specifically on people's choices and why they chose that particular one. I have the Volant and love it; other people hate it. There are a lot of choices and just as many opinions as to which one is the best and why. Just ensure you do your own research before spening the $$$ and possibly regretting it later.

white
    2000 trans am

Cool.. This site rocks!!!!! I have found a lot of valuable info and I am going to put it to use. Thanks for the info. I was about to do something I would later regret with the hood mod.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by danziger View Post
    Wet 150shot will do it easily and inexpensively. You could also do a nice blower kit that would hit your goals with a fairly easy install...
    Can you give some details about the blower kit? Is that anything like the mach1 shaker? Or am I completely off?

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Can you give some details about the blower kit? Is that anything like the mach1 shaker? Or am I completely off?
    Heh. The term "blower" is often interchanged for "supercharger". Totally different than a shaker-hood, but I suppose you could set something up like that with a roots/screw 'charger.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well personally I would like to have some kind of shaker like the mach1 on my camaro. Is there any kits out there for a camaro shaker?

Thread Information