Black
    99 SS clone M6

Question need PCV help badly, first LS1 car help :(

I just bought a 110k mile 1999 six speed Z28 SS clone at an estate sale for $3800. SWEET. problem is....ALL THE PROBLEMS. one major one is this car sat for a while and before that was drivin HARD by a teeny bopper, hence the cheap price. while changing the pcv valve i noticed the pcv hose was FILLED with crud, oil, etc. I assume the engineer who put the pcv there musta been freebasing that day, now that I realize i probabaly need to replace the entire assembly. When the pcv valve came out, it broke everything, so now, its held together with electrical tape. I dont have $140 to buy the pcv hose assembly since i should be allowed to go monkeynuts on the folks at gm for such a lovley design.

now what i want to do is get a pcv valve with a 90 degree end on it so the valve is upright not inline with everything. does ANYONE know of a post or a link to how to do this and what parts i need? (part numbers). ive seen OLD threads on here and LS1tech about this mod but there are no pictures, or no parts needed list! this is driving me nuts. i do not want to do a catch can since i am on a budget of like $40 to fix this MAX.

this thread is probably what i need but all the pictures are gone!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/complet...writeup-99474/

anyone, someone please help me out...
    -matt

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think I have posted about using some silicone hose and trimming it to fit around the manifold with 90 degree fittings. But it was a long time ago, so it's fuzzy. I can't remember how many fittings you'll need, but you can get the silicone hose from Lowe's, Home Depot or your local hardware store. Just fab everything up like the original piece that came off the car and you're golden.

Red
    1999 trans am

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Thanx for the help.guys, but I kinda figured out a real cheap way to keep oil outta the intake. This whole set up costed maybe 15 bux. Bought a
    coil wire from advance auto parts..took off the plug boot to put the
    .cv valve in, bought a pcv with a 90 end on it....bought a 3/8" fuel hose, and reused the pcv heater bracket thingy to hold up the pcv valve. I didn't know if I should've used the fixed orifice valve like everyone says but hell this worked.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Nothing short of installing a catch can will keep the oil out of the intake. I made one for free out of scraps found around the fab shop in the shop I used to work in. I put it between the hose going toward the back of the engine and the pcv valve itself. Works like a charm and you can get them for cheap on ebay if you can't find anything to make it out of or don't know how to make one. That's the only remedy for the crackhead GM designed pcv junk on these cars

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28dryva View Post
    Nothing short of installing a catch can will keep the oil out of the intake. I made one for free out of scraps found around the fab shop in the shop I used to work in. I put it between the hose going toward the back of the engine and the pcv valve itself. Works like a charm and you can get them for cheap on ebay if you can't find anything to make it out of or don't know how to make one. That's the only remedy for the crackhead GM designed pcv junk on these cars
    I think Im gonna do the catch can, but I understand you run the line off the pcv.valve, to the can, back out of the can and into the intake manifold pcv.port?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

yes

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

I put mine between the pcv valve and where it originally turned back to the back of the engine. That way, the air/oil/shit that gets sucked out of the back of the engine gets caught in the catch can before it gets to the pcv valve and clogs it or gets it stuck open or closed. I'm thinking about going with an orifice style pcv valve instead of the variable style they come with

Black
    99 SS clone M6

where and how do you mount the catch can? how much are they? the setup i got right now is pretty good considering the pcv valve is now upright...so no residual oil can get sucked up. im now worried and considering pulling the entire pcv hose assembly off the engine and cleaning it out, problem is im afraid ill probably break something. car has 112k miles. this is how I setup my pcv, which was easy and cost i think $14 at Advance Auto parts (used to be a manager there)
    Last edited by DaytonaBlues; 10-13-2012 at 02:54 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I just installed my ebay catch can last night. It is a very cheaply made part. It comes with a clear tube on the side to use as a sight window. There is NOTHING inside the can to catch the oil, and both the inlet and outlet elbows go into the can about a half inch. The tapping work also left chunks of aluminum hanging inside the can. I had to scrape and clean those out. I can't believe that this aluminum is hanging there, waiting to get into the engine. They were big chunks. Almost fingernail size. That is why I put the PCV valve AFTER the catch can. If anything like that shows up, al least it will hit the valve first. I bought some brass tubing, steel screen, and block off plugs from Ace. I removed the chintsy sight window, blocked off the holes, installed the brass tube on one of the inlet elbows so it will go to the botom of the can, and cut slots in this tube at the bottom to breathe, then cut strips of screening and stuffed them inside through the drain pug hole.. My hope is that the oil will condense on the screening, and get caught inside. I def will be getting a nice can down the road, I just don't have the money to get one now, and the oil is ruining my o2's and blowing all over the place. Air filter included.
    Last edited by az gt eater; 10-13-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

Those on ebay are pieces of shit. I just took a 8 inch long piece of 3'' exhaust pipe and welded sheet metal to the ends to make it a tank instead of a pipe. I put 2 threaded holes in the top of it and one in the bottom for a drain. It's already caught 1/4 quart of oil in the month and a half I had it on there so I think it does it's job pretty good for being free.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by Z28dryva View Post
    Those on ebay are pieces of shit. I just took a 8 inch long piece of 3'' exhaust pipe and welded sheet metal to the ends to make it a tank instead of a pipe. I put 2 threaded holes in the top of it and one in the bottom for a drain. It's already caught 1/4 quart of oil in the month and a half I had it on there so I think it does it's job pretty good for being free.
    I agree with you. If I had known how cheap it was, I would never had ordered it.

Black, Red
    01 Z28, 05 Z71

It just goes back to the old saying "you get what you pay for". They have complete intercooled turbo kits on there for $700 but I'm sure they're complete garbage. If I didn't have the means to make a catch can, I woulda done what you did and bought the POS one and modded it to be a little more reliable before I even put it on my car. I had plenty of metal shavings going on with mine when I made it but I put grease on my taps to keep it to a minimal and I spent 30 minutes with an air hose making sure it was all out.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

This is the setup from Elite Engineering. Works perfectly and the mounting system has some adjustment to it for precise positioning of the catch can. It is a very nicely built unit and was reasonably priced.

Thread Information