Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a part

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Need a part

I think I found out what the problem with my clutch is. Today I found my cap to the master cylinder reservoir off and the rubber boot looks like it has expanded in size. I say that because it it will not fit in the reservoir or let the cap screw down. I checked with all the parts stores and no one has it. Was wondering if any one knows where I can get a replacement

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

You're probably going to have to hit up the dealer.

I've never seen the clutch master cylinder cap/diaphram sold separately, they always come with the whole master cylinder.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

usually if the rubber is swollen up, that means the fluid is contaminated. Is there any chance someone put oil or a petroleum based product in the system?

Navy Blue Metallic

I'm wondering if they put in ATF in there instead of DOT III Brake Fluid like the cap states?

Would that cause this?

If so does that mean I have to drain and flush both master and slave or will I need to just replace it all?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

ATF would contaminate the system and you'll have to replace the master, slave, and the line

Navy Blue Metallic

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!

SOB.......

Wow I'm pissed........

I just had them replaced 6 months ago by someone because I didn't have access to a lift at the time. Just goes to show you have to do things yourself just to get it right.

FML

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

Navy Blue Metallic

BTW thx Cutlass....

Now I have to put off my spending plans for next month to get this fixed...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Same thing happened on my Ford Ranger -- either the prior owner or a mechanic put something in the clutch reservoir that was an oil rather than a hydraulic fluid. The diaphram swelled to 3 times its size and I ended up replacing the entire clutch system. Started losing the clutch 35 miles from home and drove it all the way in 3rd gear. I had to time the lights and feather the gas on hills when it started to slip -- I knew that if I touched the clutch I was done.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Now...THAT sucks!!! I would be UBER pissed if someone half-@$$ed my car.

Navy Blue Metallic

You know it's bad enough that I let a mechanic fawk my car but this is just really kicking me in the balls now. I've spent most of the morning looking for replacement parts. Found most except The rubber boot for the reservoir. Turns out it is a dealer item and here's the beauty of it. I can only get it IF I get the whole master cylinder assembly. The cost you ask... a low $240. That's a whole $100 more then GMPartsdirect. I've fired off an email to them asking if that includes the part I need. Waiting on reply. Another part I'm having trouble finding is the Clutch Hydraulic Line. Only place I seem to find it is Autozone (not a fan of their parts).

Anybody know where I might be able to find these?

Also I have to ask - I understand needing to replace the rubber boot, because of the expansion. (I believe this is why you are going to tell me to do it for the other parts as well, just want to get confirmation) But do I really need to change all of the parts out instead of flushing it out with Dot III Brake Fluid? By parts I mean the following: Master, Reservoir, Clutch Hydraulic Line, and Slave.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    You know it's bad enough that I let a mechanic fawk my car but this is just really kicking me in the balls now. I've spent most of the morning looking for replacement parts. Found most except The rubber boot for the reservoir. Turns out it is a dealer item and here's the beauty of it. I can only get it IF I get the whole master cylinder assembly. The cost you ask... a low $240. That's a whole $100 more then GMPartsdirect. I've fired off an email to them asking if that includes the part I need. Waiting on reply. Another part I'm having trouble finding is the Clutch Hydraulic Line. Only place I seem to find it is Autozone (not a fan of their parts).

Anybody know where I might be able to find these?

Also I have to ask - I understand needing to replace the rubber boot, because of the expansion. (I believe this is why you are going to tell me to do it for the other parts as well, just want to get confirmation) But do I really need to change all of the parts out instead of flushing it out with Dot III Brake Fluid? By parts I mean the following: Master, Reservoir, Clutch Hydraulic Line, and Slave.
    i would just to be safe... you probably got some water in there and it boiled and did it's nasty work... you don't want it to happen again...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If it trashed the reservoir cup, it has almost certainly degraded the seals in the master and slave. That's what it did on my truck and the clutch would air lock. I would have to get under it and crack the bleeder to drive it any distance before it would air lock again.

Navy Blue Metallic

Thx Jeff and Spaz.

I'm just so over-torque after talking with the shop that did "bleed" my clutch. They gave the usual it's not my fault, you can't prove anything, it's been 7 months since we service it,

Times like this I have to fight the urge to respond with " We'll it's not my fault your shopped burned down and your job

I'll just have to resort to spreading word of mouth to the local car clubs....

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I think if you get the GM master, it'll come with the line, reservoir, and res boot.
    So it you buy the GM master and GM slave and some brake fluid...that'll be everything you need

Navy Blue Metallic

Thx guys.

Update: I talked last night with co-owner, not the same guy that runs the shop most of the time. It seems he is in one of the local car clubs that the club I belong to works with sometimes for charity events. My situation spread quickly through my club and some how got to him. He calls me and apologizes for the situation. I told him how pissed I am and he stated that he looked up my service sheet and believes that the mechanic that service my vehicle screwed up and did in fact put in the wrong fluid. He stated that he'll pay for my parts if I show receipts of purchase. He even offered to have the shop install them and I politely refused, he understood. So I'll order them tomorrow when I get paid. At lease there are some ppl that are honest and care about their shops work.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That is very good news! Hope it works out.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I did confirm today at work that the GM clutch master cylinder comes with the complete reservoir and the line to the slave. Are you ordering from GMPartsDirect?

Navy Blue Metallic

Thx for verifying it.

Yes I am. I am also ordering another bell housing from them too. Another issue that I want to fix since I have to remove it also. I believe I cracked it at one of the dog ears when I installed my LS7 Clutch kit last time. I also plan on changing the rear main seal since I'm there too. Any special tools or procedures for that one? Do I need to drain the oil?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I thought there was some kind of special tool to ensure that the rear plate is centered on the crank... would have to look in my picture books.

Navy Blue Metallic

Do you mean for the rear main seal?

Thread Information