Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Need new A/C Compressor - 2000 WS6 Trans Am

Hi Everyone,

My A/C compressor is leaking freon. It's the original compressor. Mechanic says it must be replaced. Can't seem to find any dealer in the country that has an AC Delco in stock.

So, I was recommended to get an aftermarket one from Napa Auto Parts. I went online and see that they have three different brands and I wanted to ask what you recommend, based on your experiences with this. Here they are (these are for new ones, not refurbished):

NAPA Temp Products (as I understand it, this one is actually made by Four Seasons): $283

Delphi: $525

Denso: $691

Obviously, I am initially tempted to go with the least expensive one, but perhaps the other two are better quality and worth their price? Or perhaps Napa gets special pricing with Four Seasons and that's why it's so much less than the other two?

Thanks very much for your advice.
    Last edited by mraya; 09-11-2019 at 02:44 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Do a little more shopping, check Rockauto, looks like their prices are better for the same items. You are either paying a premium for brand new or saving a few bucks on a rebuilt. In my mind new or rebuilt can fail so look at the warranty. Delphi and Denso have 12 month warranties and 4 Seasons has a 24 month warranty. Good luck.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks very much, Steve.

Yeah, I double checked those prices of all three items on Napa and they are new, not refurbished. That's why I am confused as to why the "Napa Temp" one (Four Seasons) is so much cheaper than the other two.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search...sort=PRICEDESC

You are correct on the Delphi and Denso warranties. As for the Napa Temp/Four Seasons one, Napa offers a lifetime warranty as long as you replace and flush some related parts. Warranty: https://media.napaonline.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/3685498pdf?$PDF$

So, whether or not I replace/flush said parts, I wonder if the Four Seasons 24 month warranty would still apply?

I will certainly check out that Rockauto, as you suggested. Thank you for that.
    Last edited by mraya; 09-11-2019 at 03:20 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Things like AC compressors and transmissions where they require you to have the system flushed before installing the new parts will also require you to prove that your installer did that before honoring a warranty claim. Keep your receipt for the install. No idea why the 4 Seasons has the best warranty and the cheapest price but it does provide some peace of mind if you are going to keep the car for a few years.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Understood. Many thanks for your recommendation for RockAuto. Here is what I found: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ompressor,6628

What do you think of these ones? Prices seem to vary by quite a bit. Do you think any of them are better than the others in respect to quality, performance, reliability, etc.?

Thanks again

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Personally, I tend to go with a name that I know and I look at price and warranty. There are a number of compressors listed from brands I've never heard of. Doesn't mean they aren't good but would concern me if I need a warranty claim in a year and they are no longer in business. At that point you would not be dealing with Rock Auto or Autozone or whoever but directly with the manufacturer. Whatever you go with, before you buy, read the warranty requirements and what is actually included with the condenser very carefully, they are all a little different. Looks like you need more parts on most of them (condenser, orifice tube, O-rings, oil, etc). Have the shop that is doing the install include on the work order that they are replacing all of the required parts to make a valid warranty claim if you ever need.

Good luck, Steve

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks, Steve. Much appreciated.

Thread Information