midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

Need motor rebuild help!!!

so for reasons out of my control i seem to have blown up my first ls1. You can now fit a quarter in the hole in one of the pistons. Thats the bad, the good is that one, my wife is all for me rebuilding it, and two the block seems to be fine only one very very small scratch in the lost cylender. the only catch is that i have to stay under a three grand budgett and dont know were to begin. i would like to do a complete head cam package along with new pistons,rings,beerings ect. any help with were i can go to find a good deal would be appreciated. i have been hearing different storys about all the differences in the ls1 block verses a standard 350, what if anything should i be concerned with? i will need to have the block looked at and cleaned up but dont trust any of the shops in myy area as i havent delt with them before, like i said, any and all advise will help, thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

See if you can pick up a used LS1 from somewhere like a junkyard for like $1000. Then do your heads and cam and tune. AND do ALL the work yourself.

pewter
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    See if you can pick up a used LS1 from somewhere like a junkyard for like $1000. Then do your heads and cam and tune. AND do ALL the work yourself.
    x2 on this. the experience you will gain from this along with the feeling of building your own beast is absolutely priceless

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

I plan on doing the work myself but why can't I use my same block? It Is not cracked or anything as far as I know.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by nvmybird View Post
    I plan on doing the work myself but why can't I use my same block? It Is not cracked or anything as far as I know.
    same reason that i'm on my 5th engine... when they go it's like some one set off a grenade inside... it would be worth it to buy a LS6 crate like i did for around $3,400.00 or so... great power and a warrenty to boot...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Also it'll probably bust your $3000 budget trying to rebuild it and do a heads/cam upgrade. If your budget is $3000, try to plan on spending $2500 and leave a $500 cushion for unexpected expenses.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

you could possibly have somemore fun by find a used low milage 6.0L LQ4/LQ9 short block, all your LS1 stuff will bolt up to it, buy your heads cam package, and there ya go..

i found a couple LQ4 short blocks for $500... its just a thought, i plan on doing this within the next year

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

were can i find an ls6 for 3500? i have seen ls1 short blocks for around three to thirty five. i dont think anything is wrong with my block it was only one piston that has a hole in it. I have found a head cam kit for around 1500 just not sure what size cam i should go with. summit sells a rebuild kit with new slugs beerings and all gaskets for around 700. All that i think i would need is to get the block cleaned and have the crank turned. The car was still running fine just had a slight missfire and was smoking realy bad. Was just looking for some help locating a good deal on parts so that i can get her put back together, its going on four weeks now and i am a little tired of looking at the motor on an engine stand....

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

have you checked out TSP for for parts? where did you find the heads/cam package at?

red
    2000TA

SDPC sells ls6 for around $3500.

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

sdpc wants almost 6000 for an ls6.... is there a reason why i cant just have my block gone through and put fresh slugs and a head cam kit and be done? Not very skilled i guess when it comes to building engines. i can wrench and have some basic ideas of what does what but have never really built an engine on my own.... any advice would be greatley appreciated...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The only reason is your budget. You may or may not make your $3000 budget rebuilding the engine

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

ok so after a long hard thinking session i have decided to buy a goodwrench motor. it is a new, not a reman, ls6 405 hp long block and is $3,482 shipped to my house. it comes with a three year warrenty which is a good idea in my eyes considering it is my daily driver... now i just need to find out if my stock injectors will work or do i need to upgrade to a bigger size? and what would be a good clutch to put behind this thing for a decent price (already at the top of my wife set budget lol)

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

ok so after a long hard thinking session i have decided to buy a goodwrench motor. it is a new, not a reman, ls6 405 hp long block and is $3,482 shipped to my house. it comes with a three year warrenty which is a good idea in my eyes considering it is my daily driver... now i just need to find out if my stock injectors will work or do i need to upgrade to a bigger size? and what would be a good clutch to put behind this thing for a decent price (already at the top of my wife set budget lol)
    ls7 clutch and flywheel will work... change your master and slave cyl while you have the trans dropped as well... as far as injectors... i'd go larger...

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Here's a good calculator to see what size injectors to run -
    http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx#...tor_Worksheet_

midnight blue
    2001 trans am ws6

It is saying I need 33 lb injectors, what do the stock ones flow?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

your stock ones flow 28 lb

Thread Information