Red
    2000 Trans AM

In need of a Master Electrician!?!?!?

So I've had this weird problem and before I go spend an ass-load at an autoshop maybe someone can help me. I have a 2000 trans am m6. When the lighting switch is in the off position the left drl/turn signal is dim and the right is bright. Same situation when in parking position. But when I turn it to the headlight position the left drl/turn signal get bright and the right is fim. I realize there are 2 filaments but I have no idea whats going on here. Any input it welcome.

Replace your corroded front turn signal/parking light sockets.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    Replace your corroded front turn signal/parking light sockets.
    yep, start here. Check all the sockets for corrosion. Pretty common.

BLUE
    1998 TRANS AM

sounds to me someone wired the plug backwards. The bright and dim issue is opposite when lights are on and off

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

try putting the bulb in the opposite way.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 RAM AIR CRBN View Post
    sounds to me someone wired the plug backwards. The bright and dim issue is opposite when lights are on and off
    The corrosion in the sockets build excessive resistance on the ground circuit. The current feeds back up through the turn signal indicator looking for a path to ground. Because there are now multiple loads (bulbs filaments) in series on the circuit, it illuminates dimly.

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 98 RAM AIR CRBN View Post
    I have repalced the sockets and bulbs, i did a one for one swap when crimping the new sockets but maybe I did wire it backwards. So should the drl's be dim or bright? should the turn signal be bright or dim? neither side is consistent in any mode, one bulb is bright, the other is dim, same illumination with the turn signal, it just blinks instead of being solid.
    Last edited by transam_00; 08-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Red
    2000 Trans AM

The corrosion in the sockets build excessive resistance on the ground circuit. The current feeds back up through the turn signal indicator looking for a path to ground. Because there are now multiple loads (bulbs filaments) in series on the circuit, it illuminates dimly.
    So what should i do? replace the sockets? is there any other option other than using the shitty oem sockets/bulbs? i've heard of people using fog lights as drl's? im not sure how they mounted them tho.

BLUE
    1998 TRANS AM

I'm not sure but i would think the daytime running lights should be the brightest

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

DRL's are dim.....turn signals are bright

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Sounds like increased resistance in the circuit. Probably corrosion. Don't overlook the switch and other connections in the circuit. Sometimes even get it on the fuse block.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    DRL's are dim.....turn signals are bright
    Uh, not correct for Trans Ams. The amber DRLs should be the same intensity as the turn signals (bright), that is the same element in the bulb.

OP, sounds like you wired one front side wrong. An easy way to tell is with the key off, put on your parking lights. Walk around the car, see which lights are on and at what intensity (nothing should be on brighter that others). Next, turn on the 4 way flashers (hazards), walk around again. Now, the front two should be equal brightness when they flash, as well as 2 on each side in the back. If you have a front one flashing opposite, that is the one with the wiring mis-wired.

Red
    2000 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Uh, not correct for Trans Ams. The amber DRLs should be the same intensity as the turn signals (bright), that is the same element in the bulb.

OP, sounds like you wired one front side wrong. An easy way to tell is with the key off, put on your parking lights. Walk around the car, see which lights are on and at what intensity (nothing should be on brighter that others). Next, turn on the 4 way flashers (hazards), walk around again. Now, the front two should be equal brightness when they flash, as well as 2 on each side in the back. If you have a front one flashing opposite, that is the one with the wiring mis-wired.
    Thank you, this is the answer Ive been looking for, unfortunately I ahve a lot bigger problems (water somehow got in my power steering fluid) and its fucking shit up. I greatly apprecaite all the help guys.

Quote Originally Posted by transam_00 View Post
    Thank you, this is the answer Ive been looking for, unfortunately I ahve a lot bigger problems (water somehow got in my power steering fluid) and its fucking shit up. I greatly apprecaite all the help guys.
    The power steering cooler in the upper radiator hose can leak internally causing that.

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

The power steering cooler in the upper radiator hose can leak internally causing that.
    this has happened to me. had to buy a new cooler and flush out the radiator

Thread Information