Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help storing my car, questions about using a car cover

I have my 2 cars in a storage container that isn't well sealed. The bottom is wood and the container leaks a little water when it rains and it gets my cars wet. I am worried about this bacause I am afraid from the wetness and moisture that rust will start to form. I thinking of drying both cars again and putting on a car cover, would that be good idea? I am thinking it won't be good because of the wetness and moisture that might get trapped under the cover, which will cause rust...What should I do? I don't want my rides to start forming rust.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Get a heavy mil plastic sheeting to lay down over the wood flooring, then park your car on top of it. No I would not cover the car with a cover, if you could string up something over your car to stop the leakage from getting on it that would be a plus. You could always pick up 10'x20' outdoor tent/cover like you would use at a graduation party to stop the leaking water from getting on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by 01blackbird View Post
    Get a heavy mil plastic sheeting to lay down over the wood flooring, then park your car on top of it. No I would not cover the car with a cover, if you could string up something over your car to stop the leakage from getting on it that would be a plus. You could always pick up 10'x20' outdoor tent/cover like you would use at a graduation party to stop the leaking water from getting on your car.
    Would this be like plexy glass?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ No it would be like a tarp. Go to wal mart-they sell blue tarps you can use for this.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you have any money to spend? I saw a sweet car storage deal several months ago. It's a sealed bubble. You park your car on it then enclose it around the car and it has a fan that pumps air in to form a huge bubble around the car. I'd love to have one but I'd have trouble getting my jack stands in there. That's where my car is every winter.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ I saw that -looked like a good idea.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Yea those bubble units are pretty awesome. The plastic I'm referring to is more like a tarp. You can buy a roll of it that folds out sideways that would be plenty wide enough to do the job. Your local hardware store carries that kind of stuff. Or you could always try like a home depot or a lowes.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Wait, so it's not recommended to use a car cover because they will make the car form rust?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

I was looking at these car stoage bags on the net for when I store my Camaro this winter. Its a car cover, with a bottom that zips up and seals your car up. They are around $175 I think, maybe less. Just search for them on Yahoo or whatever, theres many differnt brands of them. It seems like it would be a good idea to me anyways...

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
    Wait, so it's not recommended to use a car cover because they will make the car form rust?
    Car covers work best if the vehicle is stored in a dry environment. I know there are a lot of fancy covers that can keep your car dry if it gets rained on, but when it's stored in a place where moisture is around its best to use no cover at all. A good wax job just before storing is a great thing to do.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

My car is going to be stored under a carport. I was going to cover it to keep dust off it. Is this the type of moist environment you're talking about?

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

There are numerous conditions for a moist environment, and yes yours is one of them. Uncovered in a carport is fine unless you have something else in the air that could get on your paint and damage it. For an example: A nearby tree with a lot of pollen or a factory shooting out all kinds of junk in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    do you have any money to spend? I saw a sweet car storage deal several months ago. It's a sealed bubble. You park your car on it then enclose it around the car and it has a fan that pumps air in to form a huge bubble around the car. I'd love to have one but I'd have trouble getting my jack stands in there. That's where my car is every winter.
    There is no special car storage places by my area..The storage place that I keep my cars in is just a regular container, for $60 a month..It looks just like this in the pic

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you are paying by the month shouldnt they give you one that doesnt leak? Just my opinion.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

buy a small Dehumidifier and run the hose outside...and if you don't have access to an outlet, get a drycell Marine battery.

Red
    2001 ws6

put a tarp on the bottom.....if u want to use a car cover just put a tarp over it no?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

First , work on the container issue thats your problem. Get a new container or move. Why pay for a container if its the same as having your car outside. 2 those bubbles are stupid b/c it still gonna suck in the moist air from the outside, now your just forcing the moist air on the car in a sealed environment.,.. waste of $$$$$. Bottom line get rid of th POS container. Demand a good one, you paying good moeny for it.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    First , work on the container issue thats your problem. Get a new container or move. Why pay for a container if its the same as having your car outside. 2 those bubbles are stupid b/c it still gonna suck in the moist air from the outside, now your just forcing the moist air on the car in a sealed environment.,.. waste of $$$$$. Bottom line get rid of th POS container. Demand a good one, you paying good moeny for it.
    Amen.

Have you ever taken a look at the underside of your car on a cool moist morning. The chassis will have drops of water hanging from it. The steel lags behind the air temperature as it rises and water suspended in the warmer air condenses on the steel almost every day.

Although water does not cause rust, it is an electrolyte that efficiently promotes the oxidation process. Unless a car is kept in a heated environment, water, the electrolyte, will always be present on the unprotected metal. To preserve your investment you must coat the steel surfaces to prevent oxygen atoms from combining into the iron. You can store a car in an open car port and keep it from rusting if you seal the metal. This is what Chassis Saver, Rust Bullet and POR15 are designed to do. Even warm storage cannot beat the effect of a sealed surface conditioner such as these products. I know this will seem like non-sense to many people but it is the truth. It is better to coat and seal metal than to merely keep it dry.

Black
    2001 Trans am 6sp.

I'm a real firm believer in that also. The next day I brought my car home from the dealer showroom, I had taken it into work and coated all the black sections of the undercarriage and susp. with the black por15. The next day after that, I coated everything underneath with a product call Rustfire. It's a semi clear undercoating that I sprayed on using a special spray gun designed for it. My car is going on 7 years old and the underneath is almost as good as day one! For any one planning on using POR15, just remember the black is not ultra violet ray resistant but a lot of the other colors are.

Thread Information