Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Need Help. Painting Car this weekend

So this saturday me and my friend are going to prep my car and tkae it to maccos and get their $600 dollar paint job for $300. (I kinda know the owner)
    Plans are to wet sand it, then primer it, wet sand, then primer again then to maccos.
    Is there any kind of primer you guess reccomend? Or grit should I be using?
    I plan on repainting it black , is there a special code number of black or somthing you guys would recommend? Also how much of a difference would there be for using clearcoat vs. no using it? Its an extra $99 for a stage of clear coat.

Mods please move this to the showcar/apperance section.
    It is not letting me post a thread for some reason.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Wow, your actually gonna go with that paint pckg? Sorry to be negative but I don't think it's F-body worthy.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Which one you think is ok?
    I seen them do another red camaro with that paint package and it came out amazing.

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Their Signature paint is very good. The only one i'd recommend. It's a professional base coat/clear coat finish similar to the newer factory paint jobs. It's roughly $1400.
    Last edited by Cayenne97; 11-27-2008 at 03:37 PM.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Which one you think is ok?
    I seen them do another red camaro with that paint package and it came out amazing.
    i wouldnt go any other way than base/clear....just to warn you unless they have changed their policies, they use fish eye retardant in all their paint....once used on a car it can be a REAL pain in the a$$ to repaint again later on. 400 grit sand paper to prep the paint and to block out the primer for best finish and adhesion courser can leave sand scratches and finer can cause low adhesion. if you need any tips just give me a call!

blue
    99 firebird formula 06GTO

Post some pictures of the job afteter its finished so we can see how it turns out.

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I can tell you now that it cannot be done for $300. Someone is using house paint. Just the paint and primer alone should cost $600, not to mention the other materials needed. Who did your body work?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Fordication View Post
    I can tell you now that it cannot be done for $300. Someone is using house paint. Just the paint and primer alone should cost $600, not to mention the other materials needed. Who did your body work?
    you can get the (lower line paint) still good but not top shelf for a decent price Shop Line paint is only $80 for clear and hardner, and the base coat depending on color is as low as $20 a quart, but as high as $32 an oz (again depending on color/pearl and other effects

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea Rain owned me this weekend, didnt have a chance to do any work.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    So this saturday me and my friend are going to prep my car and tkae it to maccos and get their $600 dollar paint job for $300. (I kinda know the owner)
    Plans are to wet sand it, then primer it, wet sand, then primer again then to maccos.
    Is there any kind of primer you guess reccomend? Or grit should I be using?
    I plan on repainting it black , is there a special code number of black or somthing you guys would recommend? Also how much of a difference would there be for using clearcoat vs. no using it? Its an extra $99 for a stage of clear coat.

Mods please move this to the showcar/apperance section.
    It is not letting me post a thread for some reason.

Before recommending the type/brand of primer and sandpaper grit, I wanted to ask you a couple questions. How are you going to be applying the primer? That is, do you have any type of spray gun or are you going to be using primer in spray cans? Do you only need paintwork done or are you needing to fix any dents or damage first? Is that $300 special going to include them repainting the inside door jams & sills?

On a separate note, I recommend you definitely get the clearcoat; especially if it's only $99 extra! A single stage paint job is nowhere as nice, protective, or lasting as a two stage basecoat/clearcoat paint job.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

80% of a good paint job is prep. Don't ask us what the best primer to use is ask Maaco what they use. You want to use what they recommend or suggest.
    If you don't you might end up with bubbling due to chemical reactions between the different primers you use.

Here is a 15 year old Presidential Paint Job ($600 normally now / $300 on winter sale)

Worked great for me on all four cars I've had them paint. You need to wax regularly like any other car. I just use good old turtle wax on her.

Oh, and if you can feel it.... you'll see it.

It is a Enamel Paint Job ... I love the gloss factor... ;-)
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 12-04-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    80% of a good paint job is prep. Don't ask us what the best primer to use is ask Maaco what they use. You want to use what they recommend or suggest.
    If you don't you might end up with bubbling due to chemical reactions between the different primers you use.

Here is a 15 year old Presidential Paint Job ($600 normally now / $300 on winter sale)

Worked great for me on all four cars I've had them paint. You need to wax regularly like any other car. I just use good old turtle wax on her.

Click for full size

Oh, and if you can feel it.... you'll see it.

It is a Enamel Paint Job ... I love the gloss factor... ;-)
    Looks nice, though I can clearly tell the difference from that paint and base/clear. Base/clear looks so much better on the newer (more sleek) cars IMO.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well an update. I never did get to do it that weekend cause of rain but it also gave me the chance to go look at another paint shop not far from here.
    Its called 360 somthing and I guess its a franchieze but there is a new owner and I heard from a good source that he does great stuff much better then maccos and is doing paint jobs cheap for now to get his name out.
    I will prep the car using spray can primer. There are a few dings I will try to get out.
    360 will paint my car for $500 including clearcoat and will allow me to do payments as well. I will do 300 down and then 100 bucks a month. He was really cool about things, and when I turn in the car he will go over with me to make sure I did ok on the prep and ima help him once im there to tape it up and everything ( i just want the experience)
    and when I take off the Z28 badges he will paint this glossy silver so I wouldnt have the sticker on embems anymore hehe.
    He said this coming Tuesday-Thursday would be great time to bring the car in to him so I will start preping this Sunday.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Kewl - Good luck... Post some pictures of the process if you can. It would be nice for us all to follow along if you can remember or have the time.;-)

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

Great. I'm sure you'll post pics when it's done.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea I will be taking pix of before, during and after.

Thread Information