NEED HELP!! LS1 swap, HP upgrades

before y'all jump down my throat, know that i am an avid american muscle fan. My first car was a 79 trans am with a 400, and my second car was an 02 ws6. both of which have very special places in my heart... now that my loyalty has been established, lets get to the real reason for this post.

I am getting a 1972 240z. I AM going to do an LS1 swap when the funds become available. I am looking for info, and ideas as to what to do to the engine itself before i drop it into the Z. ideas meaning HorsePower. I figure it will be easier to do everything while the engine is pulled and easy to move around. i probably have several months to half a year to add anything to the engine. I am not a bottomless pit of money, so keep price in mind when making suggestions.

I have some experience with LSx engines as my WS6 had dyno'd at 486rwhp so suggestions as to "adding a new lid and and ls6 intake can be skipped. i am hoping to pull AT LEAST400rwhp at the moment i drop the engine in the Z. and i wouldnt be opposed to more than that

also, should i spend the money and rebuild the engine myself while the engine is out? and basically start with a new engine, or should i not worry about it

please help, anything is appreciated.

Thanks for looking and hope to hear from y'all
    Last edited by spoonman4; 10-23-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Welcome, it will be interesting to see how you build it. We don't bash or tell you to use the "search" on this site. Most on this site love to see new ways to use the LSx platform on different vehicles. We have members doing C10's, Porsche, Classic GTO's, etc.

Some questions first.....

Purpose of build? Track, AutoX, DD, etc.. I ask because some of those answers means different suggestions.

400 RWHP is easy to achieve. Mild cam like 224 or 228 with 243 heads, LS6 intake and headers will get you that.

Suggestions while motor is off. New oil pump like a LS6 OP or Melling 10295 and at least a LS2 timing chain. These are items that wear down and are smart to freshen up while doing a cam swap. Ideally you should tear down and refresh the bearings and rings, but on a budget I know you have to choose wisely.

Other items Chromoly pushrods and lifters. The pushrods you need to wait till you get your cam and heads installed to measure for proper length. The LS7 lifters are now OEM replacements for all GEN III & IV LS motors. Of course there are better after market but for what you're stating you want these work just fine.

Now if it's a track car obviously there will be more suggestions...

i am mainly wanting this car to be just a sweet little side car to hot rod around when i want, want it to look like a sleeper, and then be able to floor it and be gone in a milasecond if need be. mainly street use, but will probably add butterfly valves to the exhaust to open it up a few times when i want.

i only used 400rwhp as a base number, im looking to spend a few thousand dollars on the initial upgrades. but i mainly want to focus on the upgrades that will be the best to do while the engine is pulled. i can always add stuff that is easy to bolt on while the engine is in the car

side note- any suggestions as to where i can find a good used engine with transmision online. i am looking for an LS1 out of a 98-02 F-body, they seem to fit better in the 240z applications. I would prefer the ls1 to be the one with the alluminum block, but it is not a deal breaker if its not
    Last edited by spoonman4; 10-23-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

In regards to blocks you have many choices. Price on the other hand may effect your decision.

All GEN III & IV blocks are the same size except LS7 & 9's. (also way out of price range)

LS1/2/6's are getting hard to find and expensive.

Other blocks that are plentiful (especially in TX, so many trucks...) and not to expensive to look at are:

5.3's - aluminum & iron (IIRC), I've seen these hook up to turbos and/or nitrous and run strong.
    6.0's - LQ4 & 9's (these are iron block LS2's, may be too heavy for your applications (90 lbs heavier) but are excellant for force induction.

You have to make sure that the ECM and the reluctor wheel mate up. > 04' years have 24x while some 04's and greater have 58x. Need to know what it is for proper ecm and wire harness.

Have you thought about reinforcing the frame? K member? That car is very light and I'm sure it will twist if it's not beefed up. Another issue is oil pan, a custom pan may need to be ordered.

I would love to see this come to fruition, a 240z with LS power.....be one hell of a ride

Reminds me of a Pontiac Solstice I saw in Denton that had a LS1 in it. He somehow shoe horn it in there and it was scary fast....

several people have made this swap before and there are companies out there that sell oil pan etc to fit the application. a 240z with an LS engine in it actually creates a better center of gravity than the stock inline 6 haha so im pumped about that. i most likely will get some subfreame connectors just to be safe. people who have done this swap before just say that the f-body LS engines just seem to fit right in and have no problem clearing while the iron blocks seem to have more tough of a time to fit. so i just figure skip the hassle and go straight for an alluminum f-body ls1.

side note, i live 20 minutes away from denton tx. (pilot point)

Navy Blue Metallic

I was just out there last July.....

I miss

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Welcome to the site. Wouldn't mind seeing some pic of the 240 z before and after the heart transplant. Otherwise have fun with the build.

I will definitely post before/during/and after pictures. I'm excited for this puppy to be a monster sleeper.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm not familiar with the suspension and drive-train of the 240Z. Will that be an issue at all having 400+ rwhp? I'm only asking because I see a lot of questions about power adders and not much talk about the more important question; how do I effectively get my HP to the ground.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

People who have made the claim say that the suspension is fine, although I do plan on upgrading it a little down the line. And there is a company 15 minutes from my work who makes a drivetrain specifically for this application. The company is called johns cars inc. if you wanted to take a look at their stuff.

And the stock gears will work...

Any suggestions for the engine?
    Last edited by spoonman4; 10-23-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'd suggest an 01 or 02 LS1 motor as it will come with the LS6 intake already. The 98 through 2000 have the LS1 intake.

Aside from that, as mentioned, a nice mild camshaft and supporting mods; TSP 228R on a 112 LSA or a Torquer V2 are both well proven performers with an LS1. You will also want to upgrade valve springs, push rods, timing chain and oil pump for the camshaft swap. Full exhaust. You can keep the existing heads or spend money on a nicer aftermarket set. Or even P&P the existing heads.

Will this car be a manual or auto? If auto, I will HIGHLY suggest a higher stall.

Is like for it to be manual, but if a super deal comes up for an automatic that I can't pass up, I might take it. And I agree. I am looking for an 01 or 02 ls1, but i just have to find the right one at the right time when I have the money. So I'm not discarding the possibility of getting an 98-00 ls1

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Maybe see if you can find a wrecked donor car? Sell what you don't need. Maybe you break even with a free engine drivetrain.

That's probably what I was going to end up doing. I was looking around today and decided to look into that

- - - Updated - - -

That's probably what I was going to end up doing. I was looking around today and decided to look into that

Thread Information