Black
    2002 Firebird

Need help with ignition problem!

I’m new to the forum, so first let me say hello and thanks in advance for any solutions someone may have to my problem.

I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6. I bought the car brand new, so it’s a one owner. The problem I’m having is starting. It was running fine, but over the years the key switch started getting harder to work right. It got hard to turn, almost locked up even. I eventually had to do the the VATS resistance bypass and that was fine as well. Eventually the key got to were it was just not working right and i had to wiggle and play with it to engage and crank. Finally it got to point where it just slipped and something broke. The key would turn all the way but no resistance and starter would not engage. It didn’t have that springy feel.

Ok, so now I’m thinking , we’ll I guess I got to break down the steering column and replace the cylinder. So I bought a new ignition key cylinder and I’ve installed and I can see it’s turning the slot but still nothing is happening with starting. The key turns all the way and will reset but no resistance where you normally expect it. Is something stripped in the ignition housing? I’ve also had problems with the tilt steering bushings being worn and since I’ve broken everything down so far I may as well address that. This repair is evolving into a real pain.

Any advice at this point?
    Last edited by Flash02WS6; 12-22-2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Misspelled word

Thread Information