pewter
    99 Trans Am

Need help with ID of 350 chevy engine.

I have a 350 engine in my 77 camaro I know it came out of a truck I know it has 4-bolt mains but thats about it.I am having a problem with vibrating at 75mph and beyond Can someone tell me what year the engine is,so I can see if the blancer is correct The # I have is V1220TKM, Also there was another#0AF133812 what it's for I have no ideal.I have posted this problem many times before but for those that have not seem it here we go.The engine is bored 60 0ver 10 to one flatops.480/480 comp cam with 1.6 rockers.New trans,new converter, Bebuilt rearend, old axles but had them checked, not bent. New brushens from front to back.All rubber but the one under the leaf springs,they are poly mounts.I was thinking about changing them to rubber also.After 75mph you notice it more and more.Have been working on this problem for years. HELP PLEASE.Yes wheels have been checked even took wheels off of another car I have and tried that no good.Driveshaft is new, joints new,Checked and rechecked to be sure they are seated in the yoke.

The only experience i ever had with the wrong balancer you knew it as soon as you started the engine, it will vibrate terribly. Also had a unbalaced flywheel do the same. But regardless of the year as long as its a two peice rear main motor as long as you have a 350, 305 or 327 balancer and flywheel you will be fine. The way to tell is, look at the outer ring of your balancer if it is the same size no grooves cut in it your fine, but if it has a section cut out it is a 400 balancer. When i say outer ring i mean just the part that has timming marks it should be the same all the way around. As for the flywheel if it a 400 it wheel have a weight welded on to it. The 350 ones sometimes have a small weight also, but the 400 will be a big weight. Its best to look at your stuff then just google pics to compare.

As far as the part numbers you need the one behind the drivers head on the block right were it meets the bell housing, if it been in for years you will prob have to clean it off to read them. There are severall different ones but most common will 0010 in it. But like i said earlier as long as its not a 400 balancer it doest matter what you put on it.

Also sounds like you may need to check your drive shaft.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you have a vibration at 75 mph in high gear, you should also have the same vibration in all the other gears at whatever rpm that equates to. I would suspect an out of balance wheel, a tire issue, or a bad u-joint before the engine. I may have an interchange manual for the 350, would have to check in the garage.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

After thinking about the problem I am having I also feel that it's not a motor issue, but I have had the drive shaft checked,tire and wheels checked, Axles checked, joints replaced and like I stated new brushens all around.but for some reason I can't find the problem.The car runs great, but once it hits 75mph you can feel the vibrating getting started, It's like a whoop, whoop, whoop sound. Like I stated, I install poly brushens under the rear axle supports, but every other brushen is rubber.Could it be the axle brushens allowing the sound to travel through to the cab of the car.I feel that it's in the rear somewhere ,but where I just can't fine it.The trans is a B&W Auto unit new.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 07-10-2011 at 01:33 PM.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have to agree that if it was a engine balanacing problem I would feel it right away,I had that issue with my 73 charger, I install a none weighted converter and it let you know right away.The car have new tires all around less than 4 months olds.I want to enjoy my car and not have to worry about tearing something up if I go beyond 80 mph The balancer is a new one and it's for a early model 350.I really would like to get this problem solved this time ,been at it for years.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

NVH issues can be very difficult to track down. If time and $$ are not an issue, it wouldn't hurt to computer balance the tires one more time. Or, easier yet, rotate the tires and see if that changes anything. Also, get some other "car people" in the Camaro and have them listen for and feel the vibration - get their input on where it appears to be coming from. Anything that is purely speed related almost has to be something with the wheels and tires. Another thought would be to pull the wheels and check the wheel hubs for runout with a dial indicator -- could be a bent axle or spindle causing the issue and 75 mph is where it is the most prevalent.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Worn out suspension will allow for more vibrations as well..

Even with well ballanced tires..

ALL road surfaces are imperfect..

Worn suspension componets will amplify even normal vibrations, as well as the slightest road defects
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-11-2011 at 05:04 AM.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Is that your Z34 in the picture? How well do you like it? my wife and I had one and we loved it.It was fast and a joy to drive but the up keep was a job.plugs, alternator struts and other up keeps. I had to change alternators every two years. We sold it 5 years ago and it only had 62,000 miles on it same color BLACK.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    Is that your Z34 in the picture? How well do you like it? my wife and I had one and we loved it.It was fast and a joy to drive but the up keep was a job.plugs, alternator struts and other up keeps. I had to change alternators every two years. We sold it 5 years ago and it only had 62,000 miles on it same color BLACK.
    It's my TDCTT project car so you could say I like them...Alot (only Gen-1's tho)..

In the 7 years I've had her I only had to put one Alt. on her @ ~115k..

I parked her @ 130K-ish for the restore and build.. Her engine is in my profile and album..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-12-2011 at 02:50 AM.

Thread Information