Need help with headers + y pipe replacement

This is a discussion on Need help with headers + y pipe replacement within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Hey y'all, Haven't been on here for a while.. To keep things short and sweet: 99 z28 that I rarely ...

Need help with headers + y pipe replacement

Hey y'all,
    Haven't been on here for a while..
    To keep things short and sweet:
    99 z28 that I rarely use that I keep saying I need to sell but keep putting that off, unfortunately have to keep it street parked as I live in NYC, under 90k miles. Beautiful car but it's starting to show it's wear as I don't have money or time to really take care of the car as I wish I could. Just turned 27, still a student, and using this car in NYC is not really feasible so it sits on the street most of the time. Interior is in great shape except the seats are starting to tear outside starting to show rust in certain areas..
    Anyways, I bought the car as is, which has pacesetter long tube headers, texas speed 3" catted y pipe, into SLP loud mouth tips. The headers and y pipe are pretty damn rusted to shit cause of the snow we get combined with the salt and me not washing it immediately after to keep it from rusting....sooo I hit a steep curb which pretty much hit the exhaust pretty bad and it was making noise so I knew i messed it up. Took it to the shop and the headers have a hole in it so I'll pretty much need new headers and a y pipe cause both are rusted bad anyways. I'm looking for a simple replacement that will cost me the least amount of money without having to worry much about fitment, modding, etc, because I'd most likely be selling it soon anyway so I do not want to put in a thousand bucks for the job. Does anyone have any recommendations on a simple swap with least amount of money spent? I also don't mind getting a used set if anyone knows anyone selling a set. Thanks everyone~

I might end up going with the a similar setup: texas speed long tubes + off road y pipe (no cats this time), decently priced at 600 ish for both. Do you guys recommend 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 headers? The engine/motor is pretty much stock except for some cold air intake, its only about a 30 dollar difference between the two. What's the better route? I won't be modding the engine at all

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Without accompanying engine mods as part of the plan, the smaller tube headers will work just fine.

What do you guys think of the speed engineering set? https://www.speed-engineering.com/sp...e-version.html
    Any disadvantages over BBK or TSP?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

No personal experience with either brand, but the Speed Engineering headers certainly look like they fit the bill. Chances are good that all of the low to mid price headers are bent in China these days. Are you lowered?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

If you are looking to do this on the cheap, check Craigslist or call some local parts yards to see if anyone has a car with a complete system that they are parting out. Don't forget to look at Firebirds too since it is all the same with some very few exceptions. Sometimes you get lucky. Absolutely easiest would be to find a good stock system and just put it all back. Any low cost headers you buy are going to be a crapshoot on fitment unless you buy the exact same ones you already have and will take some fine tuning by an exhaust shop since it sounds like you don't have access to a garage where you can spend a couple of days getting it done.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

I went with the speed engineering set as they're budget but also not a pile of shite, read some great stuff about their set

Thread Information