Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

Need Help Diagnosing a code.. Please....

Ok so i have a 98 firbird formula A4 44,000 miles, the car has lid,headers,ORY, Frost tune( amazing tune by the way), exhaust. thats it.

now my car has been perfectly fine starting it every week in the winter well come this spring i ran it for a bit then the check engine light came on throwing code (P0404) which is an EGR code, well i still have my stock EGR setup intact and working until just now everything runs fine, no signs of power loss nothing . what im wondering is just where to start?

is there a way to clean the egr valve without buying a new one?

is there any fuses or anything easy i can look at first?

any help would be greatly appreciated guys thank you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like it's just a carbon build up issue. Mine has been gone for years and I don't remember if you could get to the pintle area to clean it. Easy to take off though and check. You'll just need a new gasket unless you can go easy and save the stocker. For some reason I'm thinking you can't get to these to clean them which sucks because they're expensive....... $111 through gmpartsdirect.....$155 locally.
    How big of a hurry are you in? I *think* I have mine in the shed still but I'd have to look. Problem is I'm busy as hell tomorrow and not sure I'll have time to get up in the attic of the shed and hunt it down. If not in a hurry shoot me a PM Saturday or Sunday to remind me and I'll go look for it. If it's there I'll give it to you...worked fine when I took it off.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I still have mine sitting in the garage, if Orion is unable to find his or doesn't have it. iirc there is also a relay for it that you might check as well. I may be thinking of the air pump relay though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I still have mine sitting in the garage, if Orion is unable to find his or doesn't have it. iirc there is also a relay for it that you might check as well. I may be thinking of the air pump relay though.
    I believe you're thinking of the air pump. I'm fairly certain there's no relay for the egr.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I believe you're thinking of the air pump. I'm fairly certain there's no relay for the egr.
    It's been so long since I've had to deal with the emissions stuff. You're probably right.

Black
    1998 Firebird Formula

AWSOME! thanks guys alot for all the info and Orion I will def send u a pm on sat and Sunday if u can save me from spending all that money on that it would be great! But tgatnks guys this is why I love posting to this site there's always people willing to help!

Thread Information