Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Unhappy Need Help Bad Please Help!!

I just got my 1998 Firebird Formula WS.6 back from the body shop on Friday was there for about 5 weeks. I noticed gas gauge was below empty so I had to go home since my ride left and had my registration and insurance in their car, I forgot to get it. In New Jersey I didnt want to take chane of getting stopped without registrationor insurance in car, probably would be in jail right now.

Anyway I got home car actually drove real good. I went straight for a gas station about 5miles tops from my house but I didn't make it all the sudden the car lost power and kinda sputtered so i engaged clutch no rpms and pulled off to side of road I tried to start it but it still sputtereed so i knew it was running out of gas so i turned it off and put on 4 ways.

I had to wait for a ride with a gas can then had to go buy a funnel all with the four ways on, by the time I got back to the car and put in the gas the battery was dead put about 2 gallons in it but nothing. The tow truck came and tried to start me but nothing car turns over and over but doesn't start.

I had it towed home and charged my battery for several hours it only went to 75% tried to turn it over couple times and back to about 10% charge. I decided battery was bad so I bought an Optima red top 800 CCA big battery hooked it up. Now car turns over and over and over but doesn't start.

Everythign works asa far as I can tellI checked the fuses and all look fine to me. The security light doesn't flash hwen I turn it over. The car has power but if I try to turn it over a few times it ofcourse drains the batter and needs to be recharged.

This is really pi$$ing me off I will have to have my car towed to Jay's on tuesday if I cant figure it out.

If anyone has any ideas or questions please let me know and I will answer as best I can. If you do provide help please be as specific as possible in you're directions so I don't mess anythign up.

I don't think I ran the tank dry as it was sputtering, I had the fuel filter changed a few thousand miles ago along with pluggs. I have no idea.

I know someone on here has to know most peopel here have had everything happen to them and have found a solution for it somehow.

If anyone has an idea please help I need it baddly I am going freakin insane. I know when stuff like this happens to fords they have a reset button on the fuel pump push it and presto everything works does GM have something liek that?

Oh Hope you all had a Merry Christmas..

thank you & please help
    Eddie
    edcreamer@comcast.net

B.T.W. I highly reccomend the Prothane bushings and end links adn 24mm rear sway bar car was tight no sqeeks for that 10mins i got to ride her it was definately better. I got them from thunder racing they had an excellent deal on them.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Probably fried your fuel pump.

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

How can i tell if i fried my pump? I turned the car off pretty much maybe 10secs after it sputtered and then just turn it over once for a second?

If by chance I need a fuel pump what do they cost stock? Should I get a high performance one and how much are they? What about labor what how many hours does that run?

Like i said it turns over but no start cranks.

thanks

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

turn the key on while listening for a hummmmmmmmm from the gas tank, no hmmmm you need a fuel pump. Fuel pumps are lubricated by the gas as they pump it, you run out, you don't have lube and sometimes the pump will go out. Check it out and let us know

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

If the pump is F**KED am I out a lot of money for a new one plus labor?

I mind as well get a aftermarket one if it's messed up i suppose. I'll have to wait and check tomorrow as it is raining like hell here all day it has.

Is the whinning loud i mean noticable I will get under the rear near the tank and have someoen turn the key on.

I am kind P.O. ed that the body shop guy didnt put gas in her shit he test drove it beofre and after it was done. I have to take it back have fine stratches on the new front nose piece. Just another mess.
    Last edited by funlman; 12-25-2005 at 07:08 PM.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You don't have to get under it, just sit in it with the door open and listen. If you can't hear it from there then there is a problem with it. As far as cost goes I couldn't tell you, never dealt with an LS1 fuel pump

Black
    Y2K Camero SS

sorry to give you bad news, most dealers charge 11-1200 for parts and labor,gm list pump 5-550. try parts supplier ,( autozone --) do a search for cutting trap above fuel tank -- less problem than lowering tank to install pump,

I looked it up for you

Fuel Pump Access Door Installation
    http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
    good luck,Johnny
    Y2K SS (SLP #239)
    Completly STOCK heads/bore/stroke/weight
    & NOTHING else ---is stock
    "NAW-NAW- just a Sunday goto meeting car, my best time is not in the 12's------- any more "
    ps: I am not soliticing work as I am retired
    >>>info on alignments
    http://www.jgruggles.com

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I wouldnt even bother with another stock pump. Look into the Walbro 255. Its cheaper anyway. I would recommend getting the racetronix setup. Very simple and everything you need.

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-F98-FPKG-2.html

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

What on average am I looking at time wise for labor for a mechanic to installl a new fuel pump?

I am not even sure I need one have to listen for the whine but to be honest I never noticed the whine before when it worked.

It turns over but just doesn't start battery was dead so voltage was way low, is there a reset button somewhere or somethign to that effect like Fords have?

thank you
    eddie

Black
    1998 Formula WS.6

Anyone else have any ideas.

thank you for the comments already they are appreciated.

eddie

Ermine White
    1964 Chevelle

no reset button, have some one hook a fuel preesure guage to the fuel rail while you turn the key to the on pos, you should have around 40 lbs of pressure

White
    Chances are that when you ran the tank that low the pump sucked all the crap that was in the bottom of the tank right into it...Even though there's filters on the pumps at the gas stations ect. crap still gets into the tank that settles to the bottom and only gets sucked up when the tank runs dry. It's not all that uncommon for someone to run a fuel tank all the way empty on a car that has a few miles on it and then to have the pump quit on you.

There are basically two ways to check to see if the pump is working.

1. Turn the key to the on position and listen for the pump...Note that if the engine is not fired after somewhere around 15sec the pump will automotically shut back off. However, this method only verifys that the pump is actually spinning and tells you nothing about the pressure it's putting out.

2. This is what I recommend you do. Get a pressure gauge and hook it up to the fuel rail and then turn the key on and see what kind of pressure the pump is making. Sometimes the pump can still make some pressure but not enough to fire the injectors....for example, if the injectors need a minimum of 40psi to fire and the pump is only making 35psi then its going to sound like the pump's fine however it's still bad and being that the injectors will not inject any fuel at all if the minimum pressure is not met, the motor will just turn over and nothing, not even sputtering will happen. (this is why I recommend actually getting a pressure reading instead of just listening for it).

Since I don't have an ls1 I don't know what the minimum fuel pressure spec. to fire the injectors is but im sure you can find that out at most repair shops or the dealer. However, it should be up somewhere between 40-50psi anything below 40psi im pretty sure is no good.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

fuel pump

i wouldnt take it to the shop,its really an easy fix, you can do it two ways, from hatch (which requires cutting and acess panel) or dropping the tank. I have read an article about pulling back the carpet and cuttin out a small section to acess pump then changing it then cutting a piece of sheet metal to size and from there puttin it back together. tool of choice was a rotary tool with a few cut off blades

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Take it to a shop, get it diagnosed.. buy the parts yourself and take it to someone other than the dealer to fix it for you.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

I had to get a fuel pump installed on a 97 firebird once. Had it done at the dealership cost $400 for everything.

gingerpcurry
    check the security system....when ignition key it turned on to start secuity lite should come on for a sec.....if after you turn key off after tryin to start and security lite stays on then you have a problem in either the chip on the key or the vats system itself.....sometimes cleaning the key well and the ignition can help....or dealer can check key to make sure it has not gone bad.......my 98 Trans Am did exactly the same thing......hopefully that is all it is hate to see ya have to spend alot on nothin.....

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    Fuel pumps are lubricated by the gas as they pump it, you run out, you don't have lube and sometimes the pump will go out.

True dat. The gas in the tank also cools the fuel pump motor.

silver
    95 camaro

Same Problem 2 Wks Ago

I had the same problem with my car and yes i did fry the fuel pump, they wanted 1200 to replace it. i went ahead and did it myself it took me 200 bux and 6 hours...if you have the space and time i would recommend doing it yourself. IT WILL SAVE U ALOT OF MONEY.just my 2 cents and sorry that it happend to u too.

scheier

Fuel pump

I had a girlfriend run mine out of gas and it fried the fuel pump. Dealership covered mine under warranty b/c the tech said that running it out of fuel should not have caused that. I guess I was lucky.

Another way to check to see if you are getting fuel is to push the fuel line stem. It is at the end of the fuel line that runs into your throttle body. If you are skirting fuel out of their, I would say that your pump is getting it there.

ls1BrownBoots
    [QUOTE=SS SLP2]sorry to give you bad news, most dealers charge 11-1200 for parts and labor,gm list pump 5-550. try parts supplier ,( autozone --) do a search for cutting trap above fuel tank -- less problem than lowering tank to install pump,

I looked it up for you

I would drop the tank. I wouldn't cut a hole in my trunk floor. Just me. I find that half the time you go to replace the pump, the lock ring is rusted to the tank and you have to replace the tank and the pump together anyway. It would be a major bummer to find you have to drop the tank anyway after cutting a hole in your floor.
    often the top of the tank is rusted worse then the bottom because water gets trapped up there.

Thread Information