Need help with 99 trans am throwing ABS,e-brake,et

Hello,

My name is Erik and im not new to this site or board (have lots of freinds with these cars and have helped them work on them) but ill say hi to everyone since I now own a 99 Trans Am. I will admit to mainly being a ford mustang guy but the LS engine is pretty impressive and I like the way these cars look and drive. Plus the Mustangs from 94-present don't impress me too much. Anyways, The problem im having is after driving for a while will all of a sudden it throws the ABS inop, TCS off, and e-brake light (even though it isn't up).

Has anyone had similar experience? I have a scan tool but mine won't read ABS codes.

Thanks for any help

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You need to have the ABS module scanned for trouble codes. Those codes will point you in the right direction. Most likely its one of the wheel speed sensors

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Hmmm like cutlass said, or an intermittent brake fluid level switch that could be shorting

What tire sizes are you running?

If you are using different tire diameters in front vs the rear, you get your symptoms.
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 08-20-2010 at 08:58 AM.

black
    2002 trans am

yes i had those same exact lights come on at random times while i was driving down the road. A technician from a gm dealer said it was the electronic brake control module. He replaced it but i never got to drive it after that because it was wrecked. I would look into that brake module though but its pretty pricey

Yea I took it to a buddy's shop and both codes lean towards ABS control module..... I'm going to run a few test first though now that i got the codes.

C0550
    C0896

red
    99 camaro

Mine does the same and had the c0550 code and I have deturmined its the abs module. New from gm $900.00 No thanks, It drives just fine how it is...

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Wow, $900? Yeah I would say F the ABS. Mine is disabled because of a $30 relucter ring. lol.

red
    99 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Blksnshn View Post
    Wow, $900? Yeah I would say F the ABS. Mine is disabled because of a $30 relucter ring. lol.
    Yeah, Ive put 50,000 miles on it in the past 2 years and the light comes onj evry time I drive down the road more than a mile or so. I think its still road worthy and see no reason for paying the $ for a new one just to make the light go out. I do however, realize the abs dosent work and Is a hazard. Id like to fix it but maybe one day.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    Yeah, Ive put 50,000 miles on it in the past 2 years and the light comes onj evry time I drive down the road more than a mile or so. I think its still road worthy and see no reason for paying the $ for a new one just to make the light go out. I do however, realize the abs dosent work and Is a hazard. Id like to fix it but maybe one day.
    My husband recently had issues with his and after a few months, it ended up locking up the front left brakes on the freeway and catching on fire and totaling the front brakes... I had to replace both front calipers, left sensor, pads and the ABS unit and pump.

Get a rebuilt unit. I found one after hours of searching and all is well now. GM wanted almost $900 for the ABS unit for his truck also. I got a rebuilt unit, tested with a 90 day warranty for $145 delivered! Had I done that in the first place, there would have been far less damage and drama.

Try here

http://partsonnet.com/

You really don't want it to cause an accident one day or fry your brakes.

Thread Information