Thread: Need Help

Navy BLue
    1999 Trans Am

Need Help

I have a 99 T/A and my dash lights don't work. i checked all the fuses and the only ones that blow are the tailight fuse and the dimmer fuse. If I put a new dimmer fuse in the tailight fuse blowns and visa versa. Does anybody else have this problem? Let me know. Thanks

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Sounds like you have got a short, So you dont have tail lights either?
    Do your brake lights work?
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Navy BLue
    1999 Trans Am

yeah my tailights work only because i didn't but a dimmer fuse back in. how do you find a short sorry don't know alot about cars but trying to learn

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Well if you dont know much its somewhat of a ghost chase. You need to check around the fuse box for burnt or loose wires, Has the car ever been wrecked or had water damage? Did this just start out of the clear blue or was it after a mod or some type of work? See if you can get your hands on a wiring sch. for your car.
    J

Navy BLue
    1999 Trans Am

i took off one of my tailights because it has a crack in it and wanted to get the water out because i just washed my car and a couple of days later my lights wouldn't come on but then i took the tailight back off and all the wires looked ok to me

98 Formula
    06 duramax

When I read this last night I wondered if you had a bad socket but forgot to post it up. Sounds like that may be the culprit. Pull the socket where the lens was cracked and I bet it's nice and rusty from the water. Might wanna see about replacing it.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I agree with orion. COuld be the bad socket for sure. Also for future reference, if you're trying to check for a short, you're goild to want to get a test light. Very cheap, less the $10 at any store. All there is to it is a pick end and a light bulb. All you have to do is connect the grounding alligator clp to a ground and check for shorts. When it comes to your fuses, open the fuse panel and take the test light, with power on for the light, check the fuses. Use the pick end to tap the metal in the fuse. If it light up on one of the fuse but not the other, it's fairly easy from there, well kinda. Fuses can go either or direction from the main power source to the accessory it powers. If you get light on one side but non on the other, then there is power going to the accesory but a short going towards the light bulb, ie. the socket itself. If you get no power, then it's going to a pinched or cut wire somethere along the power to socket. It's easy once you understand wiring and electronics, just for first timers, it's a bitch. Most likely it is the socket. Just make sure when you replace it, you use weatherproof heatshrink on the connectors and tape it up with electrical tape as well. Use lots of dielectric grease on the bulb and socket, it acts as an insulator and protects the connection from moisture.

Navy BLue
    1999 Trans Am

thanks guys going to try it i soon as i get the time haven't drove the t/a all week been driving another car been crazy at work thanks for the help

Navy BLue
    1999 Trans Am

Ttt

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Did you check that socket?

red
    02 trans am ws6

I have a similar problem, My interior lights come on when i drive and my little trunk ajar light goes on and off. Just wondering if it might be the trunk pin switch or a door switch for that matter anybody else out there having troubles like this?

Thread Information