Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help!

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans am Ws6

Need help!

So i'm in the in the Air Force and they stationed me in the UK and they are shipping my car there but to pass inspections I need to have amber turn signals on my tail lights but I cant find any online, any ideas?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you try an auto parts store like AutoZone or PepBoys? They have those there by the one by me. I've seen them before. At least I thought they did. Try GMPartsDirect.com too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

The lens is amber and the OEM bulb is white. Why would you place an amber bulb in an amber lens? It would dull the signal.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    The lens is amber and the OEM bulb is white. Why would you place an amber bulb in an amber lens? It would dull the signal.
    That's correct, assuming his car is a '97-'02. If it's older it doesn't have the amber turn signal, it's part of the brake/tail light, which is red.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

He's listing a 00' yr that is why I asked.

I remember when I had to ship my car to Germany. Minor PITA to get there but became a MAJOR PITA to bring back. You had to clean the engine bay and make it look like it was on a show room prior to inspection. During the summer not so much an issue but in DEC and having 3' of snow mixed with salt and mud

OP - Talk with SS Camaro UK he is currently there and possibly answer some of your questions.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 10-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

only thing i can think of is modify the lens somehow to clear..dunno how the hell you can do that, would be a neat mod though. so im guessing all cars with red turn signals are illegal in the uk????? if you had to you could take the lens apart, have the lenses replaced with clear custom cut plastic, and you wouldnt see anything because of the black checker pattern which would be on the outside? then split the blinker part of the brake lite wiring to a seperate bulb? i dunno..sounds like your screwed.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I don't understand why they wont allow red turn signals for rear lights, kinda a stupid law.

I agree with daytonablues. What do you think about this; split the turn signal wires from the rear and connect them to seperate, yellow rectangular looking LED amber lens, than use something strong (like velcrow or strong tape, something that can be removed and wont damage the OEM taillight when you do) to attach the separate long rectangular lens on top of the OEM tailight. But make it look good if you kind of catch my drift. Hope this helps

Black

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    its a solid red tail light assembly, my bud has a 2002 and its also red.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    I don't understand why they wont allow red turn signals for rear lights, kinda a stupid law.

I agree with daytonablues. What do you think about this; split the turn signal wires from the rear and connect them to seperate, yellow rectangular looking LED amber lens, than use something strong (like velcrow or strong tape, something that can be removed and wont damage the OEM taillight when you do) to attach the separate long rectangular lens on top of the OEM tailight. But make it look good if you kind of catch my drift. Hope this helps
    I need a more permanent fix for it I'll be there for at least 2 years.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow644 View Post
    its a solid red tail light assembly, my bud has a 2002 and its also red.
    Thay all are red on the TA's, I did some looking also don't seem to be any other lens options for the TA's Iam sure thay sold them in the UK so there has to be something out there to answer your ?. I agree pm SS Camaro UK maybe he can send you in the right direction

Black

I found this online, is this just a amber bulb in there? http://is00.thegumtree.com/image/extrabig/152289720.jpg

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Thay all are red on the TA's, I did some looking also don't seem to be any other lens options for the TA's Iam sure thay sold them in the UK so there has to be something out there to answer your ?. I agree pm SS Camaro UK maybe he can send you in the right direction
    I agree. Get some boots on the ground advice.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think we had a member who had a Euro-spec WS6 at one time. I think he had the 93-97 tails but the pattern was:

<---center panel--->

Reverse-red reflector-clear turn signal-red lens

Black

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I think we had a member who had a Euro-spec WS6 at one time. I think he had the 93-97 tails but the pattern was:

<---center panel--->

Reverse-red reflector-clear turn signal-red lens
    Is there a way to take the red film off of the tail light lens?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If the lens is molded in red, unfortunately no.

What you COULD do is find a set of used lenses for cheap on ebay, look for some clear soft lens material...

then:

Cut suare where you want to glue the clear lens material out of factory red lens
    Get a drill with a holesaw bit of size of light pigtail and cut hole in assembly
    Do some wire tracing with test light
    Dedicate that wire for signal ONLY
    Get a pair of amber 1157 bulbs(I think)
    Reassemble lenses and install

Did the inspectors specify where the signals needed to be in the rear?

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Here's what you do, make your clear reverse light lens into the turn signal. Use a yellow bulb instead of the clear. I spoke to a UK guy at work and that's what the guys there do since all reverse lights on cars are clear lenses of course you gotta do some wiring modification to put a amber signal bulb where the reverse light goes, and your gonna have to relocate the reverse lights somewhere, maybe modify the third brake light to be the reverse light. I'm pretty sure they sell a clear lens third brake light somewhere, If not, whole lot easier to make a thiird brake light a back up light unless the UK requires a high mount brake lite. From that picture that's what it looks like that car has is amber lamps in the reverse lights.
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    Here's what you do, make your clear reverse light lens into the turn signal. Use a yellow bulb instead of the clear. I spoke to a UK guy at work and that's what the guys there do since all reverse lights on cars are clear lenses of course you gotta do some wiring modification to put a amber signal bulb where the reverse light goes, and your gonna have to relocate the reverse lights somewhere, maybe modify the third brake light to be the reverse light. I'm pretty sure they sell a clear lens third brake light somewhere, If not, whole lot easier to make a thiird brake light a back up light unless the UK requires a high mount brake lite. From that picture that's what it looks like that car has is amber lamps in the reverse lights.
    1+, sound like a great idea. It's weird to imagine though haha

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow644 View Post
    So i'm in the in the Air Force and they stationed me in the UK and they are shipping my car there but to pass inspections I need to have amber turn signals on my tail lights but I cant find any online, any ideas?
    Hi and welcome to the UK If you've never been before, you may find it an eye-opener. Tell me how you find it (good and bad) I'd be very interested to hear from your perspective.

About your turn signals, as well as the amber at the rear you will also need some installing on your fenders, on my Camaro they are just above the SS badges. I'm not sure about cars that are here temporarily with military service people, but if a UK resident imports a car from the US they have to put it through an IVA (Individual Vehicle Approval) see link https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/overview Hopefully this will answer all your questions.

Black

Do you have any pictures of the turn signals and how tough is emissions there?

Thread Information