Thread: need help!!

Pewter
    '00 SS

need help!!

this may seem remedial, but i really need help with my window motor. please do not refer me to the thread that is on this website about how to install cause i am stuck on keeping my window up. i beleive i have all the parts together right and in right. now, i have to bolt the motor to the door, (no, i am not putting rivets back in). i see how it mounts to the door, but my question is, how do i keep my window up in place while mounting to the door? by that i mean with everything put back in, my window is still slipping down. does the bolts/rivets (your choice) have to be in in order for the window to stay up? please help in anyway possible.

also, no smart comments please. i am still learning so bear with me.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    this may seem remedial, but i really need help with my window motor. please do not refer me to the thread that is on this website about how to install cause i am stuck on keeping my window up. i beleive i have all the parts together right and in right. now, i have to bolt the motor to the door, (no, i am not putting rivets back in). i see how it mounts to the door, but my question is, how do i keep my window up in place while mounting to the door? by that i mean with everything put back in, my window is still slipping down. does the bolts/rivets (your choice) have to be in in order for the window to stay up? please help in anyway possible.

also, no smart comments please. i am still learning so bear with me.
    i can't remember if i wedged a screw driver in there or if i let it down all the way... now that i think about it i think i plugged in the switch and lowered the motor down and let the window rest on that... i can't remember but i hope it gives some ideas...

NBM
    1998Z28

I've seen people use a rubber wedge like you would cram under a door to keep it open. You might be able to use a big eraser.
    TSP 347 SB, TSP Stage 2.5 PRC LS6, TSP MS4, Performabuilt Stage 2 4L60E, Yank PT4000, 4.11s, Fast 90/90, FTRA Cold air intake+all the free mods, Dynatech Supermaxx Exaust System, DMH Cutouts, Hooker Catback/FTRA Tips. Tuned by RPM/Garner NC. 11.28@119

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I think I used a piece of wood cut to specs. You have to tight down the bolts so the gears bind with each other and it wont slip after that.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

A spring clamp on the door beam will hold it up. Or a block of wood, screwdriver, hammer or just about anything wedged in there.
    If none of that works for you have a friend hold it up while you install the motor.
    And whats wrong with rivets? They make the job a lot faster.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I used my eastwing hammer. Rolled the window all the way up, wedged it between the bottom of the door and the bottom of the window and it was the perfect fit. I beleive it was the 22oz, so it was longer than your standard hammer.

Pretty much anything that will fit, a measured and cut 2x4 would be a pretty good idea as well.

Pewter
    '00 SS

thanks for the comments guys but i already have it wedged. my question is, what is keeping the window up after i completely install the motor/regulator? i only have the bolts to put back in but if i do take the wedge out of the window then the window falls.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    thanks for the comments guys but i already have it wedged. my question is, what is keeping the window up after i completely install the motor/regulator? i only have the bolts to put back in but if i do take the wedge out of the window then the window falls.
    hmm are you sure that the motor's gear are aligned with the window regulator gear teeth? You will need a small mirror and shine a light to make sure you are align it correctly. Unless you have an issue with the window regulator. Does the window feels solid sliding up and down? does it feel or move alot like it is out of place?

Pewter
    '00 SS

got it guys. thanks for all the help. just needed to put the rivets, or bolts whatever your chice is, and everything was in right. i guess i was just second guessing myself

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Glad it worked for you.

Thread Information