Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    99 SS clone M6

Question need cheap brake pads..which ones?? $40ish??

no brakes forum on here i dont see so ill ask in the busy room. unfortunatly, after spending $3000 on a Tranzilla T56 rebuild and a clutch, i need brakes. So like an idiot i ordered from ebay those real cheap slotted and drilled brakemotive rotors...all 4 for $133..i know i know. anyways, i havnt got them yet but i still need brake pads. i can spend up to $40-50 on a set of pads. anyone out there got any recommendations on who makes decent pads for not a lot of cash? im looking now at raybestos, akebono, you know...cheap. even the Advance auto parts Gold ceramic pads for $40 look good too me.
    I know i got really shitty rotors but they were cheapest i could find, and yea i shoulda got blanks not drilled and slotted but i do NOT drive hard at all, occasionally hard stops from 80-90 mph but no real abuse. 20-25 miles a day to work and back thats it. no autocrossing or high speed panic stops from 125 after racing on the hiway and seeing the state trooper so please dont recommend i get $80 Hawks even though i would like too. I dunno if i should use ceramic or just throw whatever i can on the car from advance auto since i get a good deal there as an ex-employee. (i also worked at every auto parts store except Napa lol).
    thanx for any advice..
    99 z28 m6 ss clone
    79 Z28 (fast as Fu*k) thanks rich
    SLP Loudmouth, Founder's LCA's, BMR APHRD, Tranzilla T56, Exedy clutch SLP Lid FTRA Powerslot rotors 'brock strut brace, SS wheels and SS hood, hurst, 1LE bars, Energy bushs, EBC's
    past: 95 T/A, 78 Z28, 98 Z28, 86 Z28, 00 GSXR 600

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Go to the 'Zone and get at least the mid-grade Duralast pads. Honestly, I wouldn't skimp on brakes -- they are kind of important.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Jeff nailed it on the head and that's exactly what I was going to post as well. You're better off holding off a few more paychecks and getting better brakes. Brakes are not something you want to skimp on. You may need them to save your life one day.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by DaytonaBlues View Post
    no brakes forum on here i dont see so ill ask in the busy room. unfortunatly, after spending $3000 on a Tranzilla T56 rebuild and a clutch, i need brakes. So like an idiot i ordered from ebay those real cheap slotted and drilled brakemotive rotors...all 4 for $133..i know i know. anyways, i havnt got them yet but i still need brake pads. i can spend up to $40-50 on a set of pads. anyone out there got any recommendations on who makes decent pads for not a lot of cash? im looking now at raybestos, akebono, you know...cheap. even the Advance auto parts Gold ceramic pads for $40 look good too me.
    I know i got really shitty rotors but they were cheapest i could find, and yea i shoulda got blanks not drilled and slotted but i do NOT drive hard at all, occasionally hard stops from 80-90 mph but no real abuse. 20-25 miles a day to work and back thats it. no autocrossing or high speed panic stops from 125 after racing on the hiway and seeing the state trooper so please dont recommend i get $80 Hawks even though i would like too. I dunno if i should use ceramic or just throw whatever i can on the car from advance auto since i get a good deal there as an ex-employee. (i also worked at every auto parts store except Napa lol).
    thanx for any advice..
    If you can't go with the Hawk pads try Wagner. Good, quality product.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

2nd what Jeff said....

One more thing to add to what Jon posted too....while the pads form any parts store range form piss poor to decent don't rely on them lasting long time. Last month I had to replace rotors and pads on my DD because the pads I had installed 4 months ago fractured into 2 pieces and gouge one of the rotors.

Some things are just better to eat the higher price for quality.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Duralast, Morse, or Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads get my vote. I have Brakemotive rotors on mine and I'm quite pleased.

Black
    99 SS clone M6

camgoat..thank God I do have the brake motive ROTORS. I just got them. I haven't put them on yet I'm just waiting for some pads but thanks guys I appreciate all. I'm probably gonna go with autozone ceramics. Or advance auto parts makes good ceramics. Just not sure if I should go with ceramics but Im gonna. They are cheap enough.

I know brakes are very important but right now my stock brakes are so bad it's dangerous so anything better is going to be a lot safer I wish I had the money for some stop Techs or bear big brake kit but...I got brakemotive spotted and drilled motors with Im prolly gonna use autozone ceramics.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes get ceramics. You'll love the dust free wheels!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The brakes on our car were terrible when we bought it. Not worn out, just very prone to fade. Not a bad idea to flush the brake fluid when you do swap things out. On our car, I also switched over to braided brake lines in place of the stock rubber hoses. Made a world of difference along with the R1 Concepts slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've been running ceramics on my SS and they got the job done. Currently looking to upgrade myself.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

R1 concepts is having a 20% off sale for anyone interested.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    The brakes on our car were terrible when we bought it. Not worn out, just very prone to fade. Not a bad idea to flush the brake fluid when you do swap things out. On our car, I also switched over to braided brake lines in place of the stock rubber hoses. Made a world of difference along with the R1 Concepts slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads.
    Jeff, where did you pick up the braided brake lines at?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It was either Jeg's or Summit.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Duralast, Morse, or Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads get my vote. I have Brakemotive rotors on mine and I'm quite pleased.
    I have the brakemotive (from Chicago) rotors blank power slot w/ the brakemotive ceramic pads

group buy $200. free ship. very pleased to have none warped front rotors and none rusted rear rotor hats.

been on the car for 5 years don't drive it much rear rotor hats have small rust pit marks but still look nice.
    I would buy from brakemotive again
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have ceramic brake motive pads that have lasted 4 years and still look barely used and it was my DD until last January.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It was either Jeg's or Summit.
    Looks like both Jeg's & Summit have them for around the same price for a complete kit, $125 to $145, although there are kits for traction control and without, one has 6 lines the other 5
    Never really looked at the system close enough to see where all those lines go!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

One hose at each caliper and in the back there are two hoses from the body to the axle on the driver side of the differential on TCS equipped cars, one hose on non-TCS cars.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

on the dust. My last car had regular pads and they turned the wheels black. Swapped to ceramics and when I got my GTO, I did the same thing.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Are you saying you two do not get any brake dust from ceramic pads? My wheels are powder-coated black on the inside and the brake dust is visible after a few drives.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have almost no brake dust with the HPS pads. Whatever was on our car when we bought it used to dust the wheels rather quickly.

Thread Information