Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need to beat an RX-6 with 250 rwhp

whats the quickest/cheapest way aside from nitrous for me to get fast enought to be an rx-6 with 250 rwhp i was kind of thinking like heads and a cam but im not sure

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

what do you have with what mods? You profile looks like a Lt1 camaro...

oh yeah lol sorry about that i have a 94 lt1 with midlength pacesetters and SLP LM1

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Rx6?

Do you mean Rx7?

Which generation?

With 250whp, I'm going to guess it's a turbo.

If it's the 3rd gen (93-95) it will do easy 13s with 250whp because it's a 2700lb car.

This is a 3rd gen

A 2nd gen (87-91) will also do 13s but it's a bit heavier.

This is a 2nd gen

I've seen a 253rwhp 2nd gen run 13.4.

If you catch him off boost, you've got him.

If he's on boost, you've got your work cut out for you.

Good Luck!

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

or is a an rx-8 rich is a joke

Yea its a twin turbo RX-6 I'm pretty sure its a 90, so you think i could beat him with just exhaust? i forgot to mention my car is an A4 and I'm not sure if his is stick or not

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

They didnt make an RX-6..could you post a pic of what is looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    Yea its a twin turbo RX-6 I'm pretty sure its a 90, so you think i could beat him with just exhaust? i forgot to mention my car is an A4 and I'm not sure if his is stick or not
    If it's a twin turbo, it's a '93 thru '95 model Rx7. There was no Rx6.

You're going to need some mods on an LT1 auto to take him. I don't think intake/exhaust will be enough.

If he's a good driver, 13.4 or better possible.

And to get a '93-95 Rx7 to 250whp is extremely easy.

It's possible he may be "sandbagging" about what he has.

i havent gotten a chance to look it over but it looks like the white car above not the newer one but the one above

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

maybe its a mx6

i dont think hes sand bagging cuz he just bought the car from a guy who had it recently dyno'd and the current owner wouldnt "sandbag" but hes really cocky about his car and i want to knock him off his high horse

no it looks like this and i know its a rotary cuz this kid has a hard on for anything rotary this>

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Click for full size

maybe its a mx6
    Thats what I was going to suggest. None of this is adding up.

To get that 2nd gen to 250whp he had to do some work.

Intake/exhaust/boost controller/fuel controller and if he didn't get a front mount IC that engine is on borrowed time.

310 is about the max that the stock turbo can make with any reliability at all. At that point it is making more heat than power. With 250 at the wheels, he's at 295 engine.

He might pop his motor giving you the win by default .

That body style encompasses 2 models of 2nd gen.

87-88 and 89-91. The 89-91 has the better turbo and can make the above power.

The '90 model you mentioned will have the good stuff (but bad electronic oil metering pump ).

He's probably going to be in the high 13s if he's a decent driver. You might get him out of the hole though because the 2nd gen Rx7 is a pain to launch. Massive differential destroying wheelhop.

I know this is , but I used to have the rotary devil in my garage so I know what the rotary addiction is like.

Even though I've lived the dream/nightmare, I still find myself wanting another one.

The lure of the LS1 into Rx7 swap has caught my imagination more than once.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    To get that 2nd gen to 250whp he had to do some work.

Intake/exhaust/boost controller/fuel controller and if he didn't get a front mount IC that engine is on borrowed time.

310 is about the max that the stock turbo can make with any reliability at all. At that point it is making more heat than power. With 250 at the wheels, he's at 295 engine.

He might pop his motor giving you the win by default .

That body style encompasses 2 models of 2nd gen.

87-88 and 89-91. The 89-91 has the better turbo and can make the above power.

The '90 model you mentioned will have the good stuff (but bad electronic oil metering pump ).

He's probably going to be in the high 13s if he's a decent driver. You might get him out of the hole though because the 2nd gen Rx7 is a pain to launch. Massive differential destroying wheelhop.

I know this is , but I used to have the rotary devil in my garage so I know what the rotary addiction is like.

Even though I've lived the dream/nightmare, I still find myself wanting another one.

The lure of the LS1 into Rx7 swap has caught my imagination more than once.
    Sounds like you were quite the rotary enthusiast. Can't say I'm a fan, I could never drive a car that makes a Honda 4 cyl look like a torque monster

We still don't even know if its an RX-7 for sure...

Grey
    2003 R/T

Quote Originally Posted by ichliebecamaro View Post
    no it looks like this and i know its a rotary cuz this kid has a hard on for anything rotary this> Click for full size
    thats a 2nd gen RX 7

I used to have one and damn do i miss it, such a fun car

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by irbaboon View Post
    thats a 2nd gen RX 7

I used to have one and damn do i miss it, such a fun car
    i like how you express that

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds like you were quite the rotary enthusiast. Can't say I'm a fan, I could never drive a car that makes a Honda 4 cyl look like a torque monster
    The Turbos make decent torque (mine made 237 rear wheels on the dyno)

Any car that can break both rear tires loose at the 2nd to 3rd gear shift at 65mph is worthy of some respect.

And the light weight makes handling incredible.

My 2001 SS would take the Rx7 I had 0-60. On the highway, they feel about the same. Handling/cornering the Rx7 would make my SS look like a bull in a china shop.

But the Rx7 is like having a bad girlfriend.

One day all is perfect and you think that there is NO CAR IN THE WORLD that is more fun to drive.

The next day it is a spiteful b***h that you want to push off a cliff.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    The Turbos make decent torque (mine made 237 rear wheels on the dyno)
    At what RPM though?? Rotary engines are not know for having any low end power or torque at all.

Any car that can break both rear tires loose at the 2nd to 3rd gear shift at 65mph is worthy of some respect.
    That isn't too difficult in a light car with no weight in the back and relatively skinny tires out back. I broke the tires loose going into 4th the other day in my 3500lb T/A with 285/17's out back, damn cold weather.

And the light weight makes handling incredible.

My 2001 SS would take the Rx7 I had 0-60. On the highway, they feel about the same. Handling/cornering the Rx7 would make my SS look like a bull in a china shop.
    Does it actually handle that well though?? Or does it just FEEL like it handles that well because its so small and light?? I've driven my friends CRX (~2000lbs) and it feels like a go cart, but the actual handling is neither predictable nor impressive at the limit.

But the Rx7 is like having a bad girlfriend.

One day all is perfect and you think that there is NO CAR IN THE WORLD that is more fun to drive.

The next day it is a spiteful b***h that you want to push off a cliff.
    Sounds like most Japanese sports cars.

At what RPM though?? Rotary engines are not know for having any low end power or torque at all.
    The 2nd gen has no bottom end. Not much happens until 2700rpm when the boost hits. The 3rd gen does (sequential turbos, one for low end and one for high end)

That isn't too difficult in a light car with no weight in the back and relatively skinny tires out back. I broke the tires loose going into 4th the other day in my 3500lb T/A with 285/17's out back, damn cold weather.
    The T/A is nose heavy and will break the rears loose more easily. Off idle torque helps too.The Rx7 has near perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Actually like 50.2/49.8. Lots more weight proportionally on the rear tires. And yes, they do handle that well. Drive a 3rd gen and feel what a perfect weight distribution does for handling.

Does it actually handle that well though?? Or does it just FEEL like it handles that well because its so small and light?? I've driven my friends CRX (~2000lbs) and it feels like a go cart, but the actual handling is neither predictable nor impressive at the limit.
    See above. Then check out some of the old track tests of the '93 Rx7. Here's a quick excerpt from one I pulled up..
    "Handling in the RX-7 can be a little scary at first, but once the driver adjusts, he is welcomed with one of the best handling sports cars ever made. The steering is sharp and the RX-7 responds instantly to anything the driver throws at it."

Sounds like most Japanese sports cars.
    Not really. My MR2 was fun and rock solid reliability. But not near as fun as an Rx7. Ask anyone who has owned an Rx7. most will say the same thing. Absolute fun driving enjoyment. Absolute pain and torture at the rotary gremlins (turbo models. The N/A ones could be quite reliable, but were dogs in acceleration)

Bottom line is I've owned many "enthusiast" cars including a Trans Am, MR2, Mustang GT, Taurus SHO, Contour SVT, and now a Camaro SS. None of them are as much plain out fun to drive as an Rx7. But they all would start every day

I'm not really defending the Rx7. I was just giving the guy some tips based on my experience with them.

The 3rd gen especially doesn't need me to defend it. Go try one, if you can find one that is still running. And I can almost guarantee that if it has over 100,000 miles it is on its second or third engine. Rotary gremlins.

Thread Information