Thread: Need advise

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

Need advise

Me and my dad are going to go deep into the camaro... we are planning on rebuilding the motor... what kind of rebuild kit and the whole shabang should we do... we have built many motors this will be the first LS Motor... oh ya and i was hearing... to take out the motor the easiest way to take it out was to lift the front of the car... after unbolting the tranny from the engine and the whole K member is that true?? any other threads on how to take the LS out?? oh ya i wanna put more power any suggestions??

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Whats your ultimate goal with the rebuild? Are you looking at Forced induction or natural? What hp range are you looking for? Whats your budget looking like? neverthe less i would go with a forged bottom end, and supporting mods, ie oil pump, etc.
    The easiest way to remove Lsx from our cars is from the bottom. It can be done from the top but its a lil more painful.
    There is a book that i picked up like 2 years ago that has step by step instructions. You can pick it up at a local book store. Its called How to build high performance Chevy, ls1's/ls6.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

The book that was mentioned above is an excellent book. Step by Step on how to drop the engine/K member out as one unit. Covers the 4th gen and the corvette.

Yes it's the easiest way in my opinion,,,but this does require a car lift. I don't believe you will be able to jack the car up enough to make this work.

You could go many ways on your build,,,depends on what you want and how long you want the car apart.
    What has warranted a rebuild? Wounded? It may need some block work, keeping in mind these engines can only be honed a few thousanths, anymore and sleeving is required and gets very costly.
    Check out other options just in case you find this to be more involved than anticipated.
    A crate engine is a great way to go,,,dropping in an LS6 would be an easy swap. Or starting with a fresh block and rotating assembly,,,,many possibilities here that should fit what ever your goals are.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Iv also seen it pulled with a cherry picker hooked up to a Strut tower brace, even a forklift.
    Just puttin that out there
    J

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    A crate engine is a great way to go,,,dropping in an LS6 would be an easy swap. .
    Thats probly the most economical

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...3-P1625C0.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    Thanks for that link Hutch, wish I was as computer savy as you

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Thanks for that link Hutch, wish I was as computer savy as you
    Your welcome man, I google the hell out of about everything, I had that link saved from another time. I think when it comes time for a freshing up im going that route.

NBM
    1998Z28

There are several sites that have some very good illustrated writeups for our cars. My 2 favorite are www.LS1howto.com and www.installuniversity.com. In particular the install university site has done some mythbusting on some popular mods.that people do. Read before you start wrenching and the two of you need to get together and figure out what your goals are for the car. The worst thing I think people do is bolt a bunch of parts together without having a plan.

Your welcome man, I google the hell out of about everything, I had that link saved from another time. I think when it comes time for a freshing up im going that route.
    I'm with ya,,,,one route I have been looking at when the time comes. I actually wouldn't mind buying that now and sticking it away,,,in fear of this not being available forever.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

Well i think we decided... LS6 Cam, LS6 Manifold, LS6 Ported and Polished heads, and long tubes and things... my dad said he has a friend that will re sleeve the motor for cheap... he works for pacific engine, those guys won 3rd place in the jegs engine builder contest... they will do alot of things for us! soo i think i am just going to do LS6 stuff... maybe a bigger cam and more compression... thats about it... you never know my dad said 383 stroker... but hey i don't know its my money... and my daily driver

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

I'm with ya,,,,one route I have been looking at when the time comes. I actually wouldn't mind buying that now and sticking it away,,,in fear of this not being available forever.
    Same here man, I just dont have the 3gs to drop right now.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I've looked at that long block aswell just wish they sold an LS2 that way.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    I've looked at that long block aswell just wish they sold an LS2 that way.
    Well they do sort of,,,,but the problem is as far as I know it only comes with the new style reluctor wheel on the crank (52 verses 24 or something like that),,,which LS1 cars are not compatable with unless you perform a computer change,,,,and it just gets into too much hassle.

Better off building one of those from scratch to avoid that issue I think.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Well they do sort of,,,,but the problem is as far as I know it only comes with the new style reluctor wheel on the crank (52 verses 24 or something like that),,,which LS1 cars are not compatable with unless you perform a computer change,,,,and it just gets into too much hassle.

Better off building one of those from scratch to avoid that issue I think.
    Complete LS2's are available with both reluctors 24X & 58X for under $6000
    `05 Vette and all TB SS, CTSV, And GTO's use the 24X reluctor.
    I have never seen an LS2 Long block for sale, only complete engines.

If I bought an LS2, All I would do is swap the cam out and put on an LS6 intake.

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Complete LS2's are available with both reluctors 24X & 58X for under $6000
    `05 Vette and all TB SS, CTSV, And GTO's use the 24X reluctor.
    I have never seen an LS2 Long block for sale, only complete engines.

If I bought an LS2, All I would do is swap the cam out and put on an LS6 intake.
    I see what you mean now. Thats kinda pricey for only 18 more cubic inches don't you think? The difference in size just isn't enough to warrant a switch to an LS2 for me.

Now unless you wanted that 4 inch bore for some bigger heads like the L92's,,,but then that defeats the purpose of buying a complete crate engine.

I was looking at that LS6 crate motor (long block),,,,, price is right,,,I would stab a cam and valve train in that as well,,,shove my LS6 intake on it and be done. I think that would be enough for a driver to make me happy.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I see what you mean now. Thats kinda pricey for only 18 more cubic inches don't you think? The difference in size just isn't enough to warrant a switch to an LS2 for me.

Now unless you wanted that 4 inch bore for some bigger heads like the L92's,,,but then that defeats the purpose of buying a complete crate engine.

I was looking at that LS6 crate motor (long block),,,,, price is right,,,I would stab a cam and valve train in that as well,,,shove my LS6 intake on it and be done. I think that would be enough for a driver to make me happy.
    No replacement for Displacement, but I agree at that price the LS6 Long Block is definetely the way to go for a Driver oriented pkg

As far as the LS2 w/L92's goes I would start with a 402 Short block if I went that route.

Thread Information