Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Need advice on selling my Z28

I've got one too many cars and my 2000 Z28 has to go. I've had it on the market for a looooong time and the only responses I ever get are from people on Craig's List who want to take a deep discount on the asking price. I am the original owner of the car. It has 138K miles on it. I'm asking $6,250 for it. The car is pewter with a black leather interior and it shows really well, but I haven't gotten past the people who want to offer $4,000 and have me finance $3,000 of that (which generally means "if you can catch me"). Is it the mileage? The car is 14 years old. That's under 10K miles per year. Is it the price? KBB says the private sale price with those miles is $5,800, so I'm leaving negotiation room in my asking price. The car is an automatic with factory ground effects and lots of goodies that I've added over the years. For the weekend it is sitting down at the local J.C. in a cars for sale corral and the phone is ominously silent. I don't get it. I would have thought the car would be a hot property for young guys looking for a ride with some attitude. What am I doing wrong? This is not a for sale ad. Honest opinions please.

100_2614.jpg

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Why are you asking more than what it is worth based on KBB? That alone is probably straying away a lot of people from even calling. Aftermarket components really don't add value to these cars as most enthusiasts are looking for one that is unmolested. Depending on what has been added or upgraded, it may even hurt the sale as it just now turned from a general sale to a lot of people into a niche market to people looking for those specific things.

Have you tried selling it online on different car forums? Adding high resolution pictures to the ad? Maybe the area you're in or have the car for sale in is not a high traffic area where a lot of people see the car?

Just spitting out some ideas for you. What weight each holds I'm uncertain of.

Pic didn't come up on my phone for whatever reason. I would say your mileage shouldn't really be a factor though. That motor has a lot left in it if it's been well maintained.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

First, thanks for the response. Sorry my photo didn't show up on your phone but I have been advertising it with eight photos including exterior, interior and engine compartment. I'm glad you feel the mileage is probably not a factor. That is something I can't do much about, but it is factored into the KBB pricing in any event. The modifications I've made are all bolt on and I've kept the original parts wherever possible, so the car is basically a stocker. I priced the car above the KBB pricing because I wanted some negotiating room and I had a look on cars.com at 1998 to 2002 Z28s nationwide with 100K+ miles and it was hard to find one priced much below mine unless they were low optioned cars or were beaters. Besides, the car comes with a Hypertech Power Programmer III and I just dumped $700 into it for new cats. I advertised the car on CarGurus.com with limited response. I live just north east of Sacramento, CA., so I think there must be lots of young guys out there who would appreciate the car. The car is still strong as a horse. I owned a STOCK 69 Corvette 427/390hp concurrently with my Camaro and I can attest that the A4 Camaro would definitely hand the M4 BB Vette it's a$$ in a flat out drag race. The Cammy has had lots of regular Mobil 1 synthetic oil changes with a PF61 tall filter to increase the amount of filtration and the total oil capacity.
    Last edited by RagTop; 11-17-2013 at 09:33 AM.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

It's just gonna take time. Sadly, most of the kids these days are happy with an econobox. You might have some luck taking it to a car show with a for sale sign in the window. Enthusiasts flock to those events and will know what they are looking at.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would just keep bumping it on car forums and taking it out to car shows is a good idea also. Now that it's winter time, it might get more difficult too. Weather probably isn't as big of a factor being where you are located at though. GLWS.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I only see the one photo here. Is it just the photo or are the headlights fogged? If so using a headlight restoration kit is a quick and cheap way to get them looking new again.
    I would not list it for too much more than your bottom line price. Some people are experienced buyers and will low ball any price and others will think that the price is not negotiable or they are not comfortable doing so. I would suggest putting in a price that is about $250 above your bottom line price. Also I would not totally count on KBB being accurate. If you look it up on Edmunds it will probably show a lower figure. The best gauge on price I think is for what other cars with similar mileage and condition in your area are selling for. Emphasize the maintenance that has been done on the car, synthetic fluids etc. and what awesome condition it is in, assuming that is true. If you have expensive tires on it that are new or with a lot of tread mention that. A set of GSD3's on my car were almost new when I bought it and that was $1200 worth of rubber. I agree that modifications, even good ones will often turn people away. Especially if you have a rare version like a WS6 bird or a SS Camaro most people would like bone stock versions with low mileage.
    Of course make sure you detail the car as well as possible before taking the photos if you have not already, again I have not seen the photos. Also when you list it you might want to list it in areas that are close but not exactly yours. California is a big State and I have not looked up where your city is but that might attract someone that is willing to drive a little further to get the car they want. The more people looking for a Z-28 that see yours the better. For example when I either buy or sell a vehicle I post or look for vehicles in both the Seattle area where I live and Portland which is a 3 hour drive away. Both myself and friends have been willing to drive to Portland to buy cars, motorcycles, electric guitars and amplifiers as we found deals that justified the drive. It might be harder to sell in the winter time, assuming you are not in a place like southern California that is nice weather year around. So I would increase the advertising as much as possible and drive around and/or parking your car with some for sale signs on it might not hurt either.
    Good Luck!
    Comp Cams 242R, beehive springs, LS7 lifters, LS2 lifter trays, Comp Cam steel caged trunion bearing upgrade, Moly pushrods, Ported LS6 oil pump. Dyno tune...So far.

Pewter
    2000 Trans AM

I think the major thing is that its an automatic saying this from experience, I had a 98 Z28 M6 and my brother had a 99 T/A Auto. I wanted a trans am M6 sold my car in about a week or so practically stock for $6600 it had 102k miles and it took my bro over a month or 2 to get rid of his auto a lot of people wanted to bring the price down because they wanted to do a swap. right now my boy is trying to get rid of a 2000 formula Auto for 5k and no one is taking the bait. 85k miles on it clean. try eBay man they only charge you $125 if it sells.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

I am going to tell you what I bought early this year, but had to wait until the end of April to go get it as it can still snow up here until then. Mine is a 2002 Automatic with 33,000 miles on it (at time of purchase) and I am pretty much the second owner as the actual second owner never used it due to his wife's illness. I paid $11,000 (he had it on ebay and in 3 days it was bit up to $10,500! He sold it to me because I could come and get it instead of him having to ship it) for it as it was an untouched 9.5 out of 10 car (I figure paying 30% of what it cost new is pretty good for what I got). The only thing I can see against your car is being up in milage, but as some have already said one of these cared for will go that much again probably without problems. The problem is not everyone knows that. Being a one owner car is a plus, and in your area there should be next to no rust on it. Not all kids know that the car is a real hot rod, capable of high 13 sec 1/4 mile, can do 160mph and get good milage when driven easily. These are great cars for the money performance wise. The economy is not good, but I think there are people out there who will buy your car....I got an automatic so my wife can drive it on occasion, and I am getting older myself. I wish you well in finding a buyer, all it takes is one.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

When I go out to buy a car, the first thing I do is compare the KBB price to other cars that are compatible. If you are asking over KBB, I believe that is your biggest problem. Me personally, I dont even give it a second look when someone ask OVER the KBB. I understand your theory of having "some room", but in my opinion it's hurting you more then helping. If you really want to get rid of it, your gonna have to take a hit on the price. If your not willing to do that, then your really not ready to sell it. Just my 2 cents.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

The real problem is, that these beautiful cars are not old enough to be a classic, and not new enough to appeal to the younger generation.

Sara (2001 Z28) has 37k original miles, kept in a garage (covered), and is in pristine condition.

My point?, I do not believe I can get $6k for her, so of course I am in for the long haul (will not sell her).

The reality is, "it is a nitch automobile" and not many people are going to be interested in them.

JMHO

SteveC

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

"The reality is, "it is a nitch automobile" and not many people are going to be interested in them."

Has to be their loss methinks!!

Thread Information