Thread: Narrowing rear

Black
    99 ws6

Narrowing rear

I have a 99 ws6 and was thinking of narrowing rear I really want a deep dish in rear I have a guy with a set of prostars that are 15 by 10s wit 4.5 bs in rear so I was looking into it would it be ok to get 3 inch off each side to make that bs work ? And whats a good pice to get it done also. I have the 10 bolt rear should I upgrade rear before so ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

what other mods do you have?

With a set of those wheels that rear will shatter on the first few hard passes and quite possible twist the body. So YES you'll need to upgrade. The 10 bolts on our cars are borderline POS.

You can get wheel tubs and fab them in. Look in the Frankenbird thread that is in the Firebird section. Jeremy has just done it to his resurrection project.

You do have options on what type of rear end to do something like this but it comes with a big price tag.

Black
    99 ws6

I have full tubular suspension and built motor I'm really trying do it with out tubs If possible thanks for reply

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The 10-bolt is'nt worth messing with.

You're not going to a shortened axle without modding the wheel wells..

A tubular suspension has nothing to do with the fact you don't have the wheel well space for a shortened rear.
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-29-2012 at 04:21 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    99 ws6

There was a dude with 3 inch cut off each side and he says he didn't have to get tubs he says you can put a 4.5 bs and clear but I thought you had to tub when you cut down rearend also that's the reson I made this thread because I don't want to tub my car but when I seen thAt ?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyls1 View Post
    There was a dude with 3 inch cut off each side and he says he didn't have to get tubs he says you can put a 4.5 bs and clear but I thought you had to tub when you cut down rearend also that's the reson I made this thread because I don't want to tub my car but when I seen thAt ?

Yes, and he also back spaced for those wheels..

He added back 1.5 inches over the total original lenth he had before cutting up the rear.

Does'nt make much sense to me to shorten then add it all back and then some with spacers just to run a 15 in. wheel.

To each their own I guess. He's also not on a stock 10-bolt either. Looks like a steel housing.

Seems like the long way around to avoid sheet metal work.. As I said, to each their own..

Black
    99 ws6

Yeah I think I may get a 9inch and take it some where to get it done thanks for your help

Red
    99 Z28

Call MWC and have them build a Fab 9 for you and yes if you narrow 3in then those wheels will work. Had a Strange 12 bolt like that.

Thread Information