Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mystery MAF?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Mystery MAF?

After reading all the MAF threads (and being greatly entertained) I decided to replace my hacked up MAF:

I ordered through GM Parts Direct and did the e-mail confirmation of the part number before submitting the order (as instructed). This is what I received:

It is an AC Delco, but it has five pins and an adapter harness to convert to three pins. It almost looks like it has an IAT built into the housing. As this is completely different than my original I just want to make sure it is the correct replacement. Anyone?
    Last edited by pajeff02; 05-10-2009 at 03:56 AM. Reason: I can't count -- and that's why I ride the short bus!

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

have they redesigned it or something?? I can testify that my 02 had a stock MAF and looked much closer to the first metal one than the new plastic one...

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

Yeah thats completely different.

I dunno what the deal is but the new one doesnt seem like it flows as well as the old stock one.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

They might have redesigned it IDK if it would work or not

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

same diameter? don't see why it would flow significantly less is same size..

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I'd say no, it not the correct one

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Well... I hit the books and did some measuring. It appears that the new MAF is "LS6" based as it has an 85mm bore and an integrated IAT sensor. I went back to GM Parts Direct and ran a search both by part number and vehicle application. Both searches resulted in this being the correct AC Delco replacement MAF for a 1998-2002 Firebird 5.7 liter LS1. The new MAF came with the adapter harness (pictured) so that it will plug into my vehicle... I just don't want to screw up my A/F and risk any problems. My PCM is expecting a signal from a 75mm MAF.

After more reading: It appears that the new MAF may be calibrated for the LS1... it's electronics apparently send the PCM an adjusted signal to allow for proper A/F calibration. Anyone?
    Last edited by pajeff02; 05-09-2009 at 08:13 AM.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Install it! You car will not run correctly or at all if its the wrong one. See what happens. I have never seen a TB like that one before for our cars.
    2000 SLP Camaro SS M6 * 515 HP TrickFlow Package * FAST 92 MM Intake * Nick Williams 92 MM TB * Volant CAI * Granatelli MAF * Full Custom True Dual Exhaust with X-Pipe * Tuned by Breathless Performance

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Well... I hit the books and did some measuring. It appears that the new MAF is "LS6" based as it has an 85mm bore and an integrated IAT sensor. I went back to GM Parts Direct and ran a search both by part number and vehicle application. Both searches resulted in this being the correct AC Delco replacement MAF for a 1998-2002 Firebird 5.7 liter LS1. The new MAF came with the adapter harness (pictured) so that it will plug into my vehicle... I just don't want to screw up my A/F and risk any problems. My PCM is expecting a signal from a 75mm MAF.

After more reading: It appears that the new MAF may be calibrated for the LS1... it's electronics apparently send the PCM an adjusted signal to allow for proper A/F calibration. Anyone?
    If your maf has five wires, it has the IAT integrated. Appears this MAF has 3.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If your maf has five wires, it has the IAT integrated. Appears this MAF has 3.
    It is 5 wire with a 3 wire adapter. I guess its a multiple fit maf?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

It is a five pin connector on the MAF (someday I will learn to count). The adapter harness only utilizes three of the pins. I searched on other GM Parts sites and kept coming up with the same P/N. I guess I'll hook it up and see what happens.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I am curious to see how this goes down. Keep us posted. Hopefully Frost sees this thread and has some intel as to what where dealing with
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    It is 5 wire with a 3 wire adapter. I guess its a multiple fit maf?
    If I had a guess, yes. I bet in attempt to cut costs they are building one MAF, and selling it with or without an extension.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Got everything hooked back up and seems to be running fine. I put about 25 miles on it this evening -- watched the MAF readings with my Hypertech idling and under load. Seemed to be all ok. No SES or anything strange, the PCM wasn't pulling timing, and temp stayed good. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe shoot GM Parts Direct an e-mail inquiry on the MAF part number.

I also experienced first hand what everyone has said about the SLP Lid fitment. I question whether I have a good seal along the back edge, even with the foam strip that came with the kit. Have to check that with a mirror tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I also experienced first hand what everyone has said about the SLP Lid fitment. I question whether I have a good seal along the back edge, even with the foam strip that came with the kit. Have to check that with a mirror tomorrow.
    Are you using the SLP smooth bellows also? If so, then you will most likely have to trim it to allow the lid to slid back all the way in.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

From what I could tell, the smooth bellows are more of an appearance thing without any real advantage. Rather than spend the $60, I decided to keep the factory bellows. During install, I left the clamp loose on the t/b while I worked the lid into place. Per past threads, I also made sure the front of the lid was behind the lower housing lip. Just seems that the back of the lid is arched up a bit, even though all four prongs are seated where they should be.

515 HP TrickFlow Package BADASS2000SS's Avatar

440 RWHP / 410 TQ
    2000 SLP CAMARO SS

Got everything hooked back up and seems to be running fine. I put about 25 miles on it this evening -- watched the MAF readings with my Hypertech idling and under load. Seemed to be all ok. No SES or anything strange, the PCM wasn't pulling timing, and temp stayed good. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe shoot GM Parts Direct an e-mail inquiry on the MAF part number.

Thanks for all the input!
    See that, a real life test and tune session! With out needing the tune!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

From what I could tell, the smooth bellows are more of an appearance thing without any real advantage. Rather than spend the $60, I decided to keep the factory bellows. During install, I left the clamp loose on the t/b while I worked the lid into place. Per past threads, I also made sure the front of the lid was behind the lower housing lip. Just seems that the back of the lid is arched up a bit, even though all four prongs are seated where they should be.
    Yep you know what up with these then. The plastic isn't as rigid as the stock one. The rear tabs flex. A SLP smooth bellows trimmed short kinda helps pull the rear of the lid in and down. But I still ended up ramming everything together, holding it in, and running screws through the tabs and the filter housing base. Seals great now...pain in the ass when I wanna work on the damn thing though

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's not a bad idea. If I do have a gap I'll consider placing screws in the tabs -- probably have to do it to the inside tabs only from the way it looked and that should be enough to snug it down. Thanks for the idea!

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i got mine from homedepot. works great and its smooth

Thread Information