red
    1998 trans am

My Trans am won't start or show Img info on instament panel

I have a 1998 Trans am and yesterday I was changing the passenger side turn signal pigtail and I didn't disconnect the battery and the wires touched and blew the tail light fuse. I replaced the fuse and tried to start the car and the battery was too low so I jumped it and it started and ran for about 3 or 4 min. And then it killed like it ran out of gas or something now it wont even start with a jump but what I thought was weird was that the instrument panel warning lights that normally comes on for a second when you turn the key on do not come on. I have lights and radio and the windows and horn works I can even hear the fuel pump running but when I try to started it I get nothing not even a click can anyone help me please!

red
    2000 trans am

Check your fuses on the side of your drivers side door same happened to me and it was the cluster fuse

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1 sounds like you fried something. Check all the fuses and ensure that the battery is fully charged as our cars act really weird with low voltage.

red
    1998 trans am

All fuses are good

Quote Originally Posted by red00bird View Post
    Check your fuses on the side of your drivers side door same happened to me and it was the cluster fuse
    I checked all fuses the only one was blown was the tail light fuse and I replaced it

red
    1998 trans am

I tried to jump start it

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    +1 sounds like you fried something. Check all the fuses and ensure that the battery is fully charged as our cars act really weird with low voltage.
    I tried to jump start it and still nothing I was able to start it from jumping the starter at the selinoid with a screwdriver but it won't stay tuning it starts and immediately cuts off

red
    2000 trans am

Fried PCM ?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Can't imagine that a lighting circuit would fry the PCM like that. Maybe the BCM though. We talked fuses, how about swapping out the starter relay? Can you hear the fuel pump engage when you turn the key to the run position?

red
    1998 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Can't imagine that a lighting circuit would fry the PCM like that. Maybe the BCM though. We talked fuses, how about swapping out the starter relay? Can you hear the fuel pump engage when you turn the key to the run position?
    Yea I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key on and when I jump started it at the starter it killed immediately

red
    1998 trans am

What about the ignition switch would it cause the instrument cluster to not show anything. Someone told me to change the ignition switch and key but I thought that if it was bad then it would shut down the fuel pump aswell

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

take your battery and have it tested to see what it is at. If you have a multimeter you can do it yourself, these cars do odd things when there is a low charge in the system, once you have a solid battery you can go from there in your troubleshooting process. If you are still running into issues you can look into starter relay, starter then the BCM.
    2002 Trans Am WS.6 A-4:
    Volant CAI, BBK LTs, BBK ORY, SLP LM2, FROST Tune, A/C Heat Delete, AIR Delete

red
    1998 trans am

I got it to start still not sure what happened I tried a reset of the vats someone suggested, the guy told me to turn the ign on leave it on for ten min. Turn it off and back on for another ten, off and on for another ten after the third time it should start after doing this it still didn't start so I checked the fuses again for the third time and this time I found a blown ten amp fuse that I'm sure tested good before but it was for the gauges I replaced it and everything was good. So I'm thinking that maybe it was the reset that did it cause I'm like 99% sure I checked every fuse at least twice hoping that was the problem and they looked good and i checked them with a fuse tester that should them good but anyway thanks for all the help

red
    2000 trans am

Is it safe to say I was right lol

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

glad to hear your back up and running bro

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+1

Thread Information