white
    98 trans am

My Keys Were Stolen! What To Do?

Hey Guys I Need Sme Quick Help On This One. My Only Original Keys Were Stolen, I Went To The Dealership For A New Set And The Keys They Gave Me Didnt Turn At All. Ive Been There 3 Times And None Of The Cuts Worked. Wat Should I Replace? Do I Need A New Column Or Just A Cylinder?

Silver
    2002 SS

dO yOU hAVE tOWING oN yOUR iNSURANCE?

Have it towed to the dealership and let them fuck with it over there.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

You can go to www.gmpartsdirect.com and look up the part number for an ignition cylinder with a set of keys or have the local parts dept. look it up for you. Then, replace it yourself or have someone do it for you.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

I think they're as follows:

GM# 26033387/ACDelco# D1453C for M6 ~$55
    GM# 26033390/ACDelco# D1456C for A4 ~$35
    Last edited by SSpdDmon; 03-20-2007 at 11:47 AM.

white
    98 trans am

Tahnks Alot! Any Write Ups Or Tips For Replacing Cylinder? Do I Need Any Special Tools Or Anything?

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by badata View Post
    Tahnks Alot! Any Write Ups Or Tips For Replacing Cylinder? Do I Need Any Special Tools Or Anything?
    IDK

Silver
    2002 SS

You will need to pull the steering wheel to replace the lock cylinder. There is a hold down screw inside the column.

Watch out for the airbag accidentally popping out and scaring the shit out of you.

That's why I said let the dealer mess with it. They should be able to get a key to work without changing the cylinder.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Once upon a time I had a Supra.... Now I know you guys don't want to hear it, but performance is performance. Not everything Japanese is rice. I bought it new, needed extra keys. The parts guy asked me for my registration, looked it up, then cut me some new keys with a hand punch keycutter!! They worked absolutely fine - I don't know why a GM dealership couldn't look up your car info on the computer and do the same thing??

pewter
    2000 trans am ws6

I have run into a similar problem (need a new cylinder). Every time I take my key out of the ignition, my car keeps going "ding, ding, ding" as if the key is still in the ignition. The dealership looked at it and told me I need a new cylinder and quoted me the following prices:

$107 for the cylinder itself
    $88 for 2 new keys from GM
    $295 labor to install it.

They told me that it was a rather difficult install and that it requires some special tools. Those prices seem high to me. Any body else have an opinion on that? I'd prefer not to mess with it myself just because of the airbag assembly.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

it can be a mess to deal with, i'd let a dealership dick with it

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Once upon a time I had a Supra.... Now I know you guys don't want to hear it, but performance is performance. Not everything Japanese is rice. I bought it new, needed extra keys. The parts guy asked me for my registration, looked it up, then cut me some new keys with a hand punch keycutter!! They worked absolutely fine - I don't know why a GM dealership couldn't look up your car info on the computer and do the same thing??
    SUPRA'S ARE MEAN tell all u want

Red
    02 T/A WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    I have run into a similar problem (need a new cylinder). Every time I take my key out of the ignition, my car keeps going "ding, ding, ding" as if the key is still in the ignition. The dealership looked at it and told me I need a new cylinder and quoted me the following prices:

$107 for the cylinder itself
    $88 for 2 new keys from GM
    $295 labor to install it.

They told me that it was a rather difficult install and that it requires some special tools. Those prices seem high to me. Any body else have an opinion on that? I'd prefer not to mess with it myself just because of the airbag assembly.

I had the same ding ding happening in my truck. I decided to experiment one day to find out what was going on and it turned out that a grounding wire was loose. I tightened it up and the ding was gone.

white
    98 trans am

hey guys it was a pretty straight forward install. just disconnect the battery for like 20 mins to drain the reserve for the airbags. a few screws and i had to loan a steering wheel puller to get to the cylinder. it took about an hour and i saved myself the 300 bucks the dealer wanted.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

hey guys it was a pretty straight forward install. just disconnect the battery for like 20 mins to drain the reserve for the airbags. a few screws and i had to loan a steering wheel puller to get to the cylinder. it took about an hour and i saved myself the 300 bucks the dealer wanted.
    sweet good job

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

Care to share a few more details - especially around draining the airbag reserve and pulling the steering wheel?

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Wait!!

Before you resort to extremes, did you check to see if the keys they gave you had the small resistor on it? I think in 98 they were touting the theft resistant features of the cars. There is a little black resistor thing attached to the side of my key.

Could that be it? Weirder shit has happened.

Indigo Blue
    2000 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

i lost my keys one time and they cut me a new set just using my vin number.. although if a previous owner had it replaced by a different manufacturer then you need to replace the enitre cylinder..

Thread Information