Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

My hood wont close right!!!! WS9 Hood

yesterday I swaped out hoods and my dad helped however, when He removed the hinges, he forgot to mark the bolts for proper alignment. now I cant get it to close and when I force it shut. the headlights do not want to come up and get stuck halfway. does anybody that has swaped hoods (WS9) know how to align them?

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

sounds like you need to adjust your headlight covers, mine needed a lot of adjustment from going from the stock hood to the ws9 . . .if not, how much did you adjust your hood its self? why did you take off your hinges? you could have just unbolted stock hood from hinges leaving them on the car.
    2000 TA, A4, LS6 intake, Magnaflow, WS9 hood, BMR STB, UMI boxed SFC, Spohn LCA, 9" Ford
    1998 TA Vert,​ NBM, M6, Flowmaster, WS6 hood, WS6 airbox, C6 wheels, UMI SFC, BMR STB
    1998 Bird, Black, V6, A4, 18" 077's, Wings West Body Kit
    1980 Formula, NBM, 402BB, cam, DR timing, LT headers, 3" TD w/ flowmasters, TH350
    1980 TA, Black, 301, bone stock

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

well while i was bringing the WS9 Hood my dad tood the hood off with the hinges; however, when he thightend it back he tigthented the bolts all the way, but They dont need to be tight all the way right?

and by the looks of the lines it looks like the hood is slanting a little to the downward left angle! and as i slam or try to gently push it shut its hitting the headlight cover. I will try to get some pics up.

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post
    well while i was bringing the WS9 Hood my dad tood the hood off with the hinges; however, when he thightend it back he tigthented the bolts all the way, but They dont need to be tight all the way right?

and by the looks of the lines it looks like the hood is slanting a little to the downward left angle! and as i slam or try to gently push it shut its hitting the headlight cover. I will try to get some pics up.
    yeah get some pics up

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

give me a couple mins

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I will upload the rest later im going to go figure it out be back in a few.

Click for full size

by this one it looks likes like the headlight cover need slid forward and maybe adjust down. you can adjust them up and down easy by loosenin the screws on the side. to adjust them side to side or forward and back you have to take the cover completely off and adjust the plate it attaches to

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

thank you! I will do that. but the hood looks thats its sitting properly right? because I'm having a hard time closing it. I Have to push extremley hard down to get it to shut.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

There's several parts for adjustment you should check.
    There's the bolts that connect to the hood at the back. You can loosen those to finger tight and that allows you to move the hood horizontally to verify that it's straight. there are 4 bump stops at the front. One behind each headlight and two under the nostril vents (those just twist and allow you to raise/lower the hood in the closed position). Also, the hood release piece will determine the sitting point.

Check your seams along each side and make sure they are straight and level. I had to loosen and adjust the two top bolts and slide the hood to make the alignment perfect. Then I adjusted the bump stops which were a little different on the ws6 vs the stock T/A hood for me.

I would try lowering it gently and while lowering check the seams and the back towards the windshield to make sure nothing is catching (or you'll be missing some clearcoat in no time). There's also a little latch piece on each side (where you mount the hood to the car) which might be rubbing. In the full closed position you can check to see if the bump stops need to be adjusted.

Hope that made sense...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    There's several parts for adjustment you should check.
    There's the bolts that connect to the hood at the back. You can loosen those to finger tight and that allows you to move the hood horizontally to verify that it's straight. there are 4 bump stops at the front. One behind each headlight and two under the nostril vents (those just twist and allow you to raise/lower the hood in the closed position). Also, the hood release piece will determine the sitting point.

Check your seams along each side and make sure they are straight and level. I had to loosen and adjust the two top bolts and slide the hood to make the alignment perfect. Then I adjusted the bump stops which were a little different on the ws6 vs the stock T/A hood for me.

I would try lowering it gently and while lowering check the seams and the back towards the windshield to make sure nothing is catching (or you'll be missing some clearcoat in no time). There's also a little latch piece on each side (where you mount the hood to the car) which might be rubbing. In the full closed position you can check to see if the bump stops need to be adjusted.

Hope that made sense...

Hit the nail in the head my friend! good news is that I fixed the headlights I had to drop the adjusters all the way down to get them to open, but the right side still gets stuck it needs about two turns to get it perfect. The bad news is that it still looks a bit crooked its closing right, but now thanks to you Im going to loosen those bolts that youve said. but the only thing that might throw me off is the latch pieces and the ruber bump stops. I lowered them to the fully closed position.

did you move yours up or down? I am going to take it to the body shop in a couple of weeks but I want to get it done right as possible because you know how they charge!.

thanks my friend. I will work on this tommorrow I got to get to the game Un fortuanetly Im going to have to walk

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Try loosening those back four bolts to finger tight and make tiny adjustments. you'll be amazed at how big of an impact a tiny move makes. You can easily end up rubbing against that back corner so close it slowly.

Also, to be safe I would loosen all four of those when adjusting. Not sure about the ws9 hood, but I'd be worried about stressing it when only loosening one side at a time. Good luck, and post up some pics of that beast when you get it done.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Try loosening those back four bolts to finger tight and make tiny adjustments. you'll be amazed at how big of an impact a tiny move makes. You can easily end up rubbing against that back corner so close it slowly.

Also, to be safe I would loosen all four of those when adjusting. Not sure about the ws9 hood, but I'd be worried about stressing it when only loosening one side at a time. Good luck, and post up some pics of that beast when you get it done.

Will do, so far the hood is somewat aligned but I am still having problems with the headlights. the outer lines seem good and strait while it bakes in. but it still leaves a little gap in the bumper area by the left nostril. and by the right side over the headlight cover. after I take it to the shop, I will tell them to align them perfectly.

after this i have a pair of UMI's 3 point bolt on ready to go on. and some strano springs (but I got to paint them first) I have yet to get some good shocks. after Im done with that.... Hello Trickflow 515 package!!!!!

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well I have a WS9 hood and it won't line up correctly just bolting it to the hinges. Mine looked like yours at first. I had to take the hinges off and dremel out the holes in them, then reinstall the hood, then remove and dremel the holes some more. Repeat, repeat again. Don't go messing with the headlights. Here's what you should do. Unbolt the hood, remove the struts and both hood latch mechanisms. Lay the hood on the car with nothing bolted to it. This will tell you if the hood will lay where it wants to. It will prolly lay just fine like this, mine did. If you bolt it back up and is off, you gotta drill out the hinges. Don't rely on the body shop to do this, I thought mine wood, they just painted the hood and gave it back to me all crooked and said "well aftermarket parts don't always fit right, blah blah blah. Here's a few pics of mine when I first bolted it up, then finally the end result.

You can see how off the gaps were^^ (notice no gap between pass fender and hood)
    Here's how it sits after drilling out the hinges below

Last edited by INMY01TA; 07-04-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Well I have a WS9 hood and it won't line up correctly just bolting it to the hinges. Mine looked like yours at first. I had to take the hinges off and dremel out the holes in them, then reinstall the hood, then remove and dremel the holes some more. Repeat, repeat again. Don't go messing with the headlights. Here's what you should do. Unbolt the hood, remove the struts and both hood latch mechanisms. Lay the hood on the car with nothing bolted to it. This will tell you if the hood will lay where it wants to. It will prolly lay just fine like this, mine did. If you bolt it back up and is off, you gotta drill out the hinges. Don't rely on the body shop to do this, I thought mine wood, they just painted the hood and gave it back to me all crooked and said "well aftermarket parts don't always fit right, blah blah blah. Here's a few pics of mine when I first bolted it up, then finally the end result.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    You can see how off the gaps were^^ (notice no gap between pass fender and hood)
    Here's how it sits after drilling out the hinges below
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    wow it looks super nice on your car. So I should dremel the holes in the hinges? the ones on the side or the ones were the bolts to the hood go? and what bit did you use the cutting or grinding bit?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by hurraquio View Post

wow it looks super nice on your car. So I should dremel the holes in the hinges? the ones on the side or the ones were the bolts to the hood go? and what bit did you use the cutting or grinding bit?
    This should help. I just used a dremel and one of the bits it came with. Not sure what to call it. http://armorysound.com/forumsadv/sho...32&postcount=1 Like I said before, lay the hood on the car unbolted 1st to see if it will ultimately line up correctly.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

thank you! unfortuantely I will have to do it during the week

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

bump

Update: I adjusted the rubber stops and I got it to line up correctly but i still feel that its a bit miss aligned. I will post pics In a few mins.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

These pics below are from adjusting the rubber stops. I guess I have to adjust the headlight covers the way they were before.

I think that from this pic it seems a little bit out of line, what do you think?

Thread Information