hwnish

my engine cutsout

i am in need of some advice, recently my engine has been cutting out while i am driving, it started when i accidently ran out of gas. i changed the fuel filter and found a fair amount of sediment in it. normally i can restart the engine after it cools down a bit then it runs a little rough, but i am able to get back home. this is a 94' Trans Am, if you need to know more about what is happening let me know and i will try to be more specific. nay owrds of wisdom would be appreciated.

Sideways to da next light redline's Avatar

black
    2000 trans am

sounds like you may have burnt up the pump. Its really bad to run an electric fuel pump out of gas because gas accually helps cool the windings in the pump. Air in an electric pump can also kill it. dont hold me to it but thats what it sounds like. One way to find out is run a pressure test off the fuel rail if its lower than factory spec its most likely gonna be the pump.

hwnish
    Quote Originally Posted by redline
    sounds like you may have burnt up the pump. Its really bad to run an electric fuel pump out of gas because gas accually helps cool the windings in the pump. Air in an electric pump can also kill it. dont hold me to it but thats what it sounds like. One way to find out is run a pressure test off the fuel rail if its lower than factory spec its most likely gonna be the pump.
    thanks.......appreciate the help

Still learning

Black
    2000 SS

I had the same thing

No it was not on an f-body but what it turned out to be was the screen that is on the pump in the fuel tank. sometimes if you run low you suck up all that crap in the tank and it clogs the screen. if that is the case the sooner you get to it the better for the fuel pump if it is saveable. either way GOOD LUCK. hope this helps.

hwnish
    thanks.........was hoping i wouldn't have to drop the fuel tank.......but i guess i gotta........oh...so much for the quick cheap repair....lol..........i'll give that a try.....thanks again

Thread Information