Thread: My Conundrum

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

My Conundrum

First My car 00 Z28 Stripper A4 2.73 Raceweight as of right now 3496. Current hp mods - All Free mods including ported/descreened MAF, throttle stop, etc. SLP lid, K&N filter, Smooth bellows, MSD wires, TR55's, True duals with flomaster 1 chamber, Gutted cats.
    Suspension -BMR LCA and SFC's WS6 springs (will be lowered a tad next week when I cut them down a bit) KYB adjustables in front and gas adjusts in rear.

Now I got close to 5k to spend on it. It has been my DD for 5 years and has accumilated 144k miles mostly highway (124k on motor due to hydrolock 60k miles ago). My eventual goal will be a PGD type 800 hp single digit street/strip car but dont have that type of money to spend... yet.

So far I am getting a 9inch setup (no abs or trac control) with 3.90 gears (maybe haven't decided yet), rebuilding the trans with the good parts, probably a 3800 stall (minimum of 3500 but will let Yank decide that for me), headers (about time), full dyno tune, UMI adj Torque arm, Umi adj PHR, LCA relocation brackets, MT drag radials. All that totals $4055 so far all shipped to my door. Also bolting an exhisting NOS 150 kit I have to the car.

Now I was going to get the MS4 cam kit (with pushrods, locks, and dual valvesprings) but after reading on here I don't want to pull the motor (yet) to fly cut pistons so I will probably go with the next biggest cam that maintains suitable valve clearance.

2 part question. Streetability needs to only be able to handle driving 55 miles to the track. I drive my TD car everyday with it's bolt rattling noise so that does not matter. I am not too worried about under the curve anymore as the car will be street strip but only race at the track so track legality will be a must and top end power is more the goal.

What kind of times can I expect with this.? And what kind of hp will I see with stock heads and intake. They will be eventually replaced but if My times are anywhere near the 11 second zone a cage will be required and I wont have the funds for heads/intake and cage it will be one or the other so the cage will be be put in and the heads/intake will probably have to wait to be mated for the 427 that will be comming in next Feburary.

The cam kit will be no more than 750 so that leaves roughly 250-300 to play with what should I get with that? Only other bolt on I can think of is pullies or throttle body but those gains for that kind of money is marginal. Or should I go with something like front tubular LCA's or something of the like.

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

does the cam kit come with a new oil pump and timing chain? you will be needing those. also throw in an inline fuel pump to make sure your fuel system is suitable for the cam and spray and I would say you have a winner. you will definatly be in the 11s

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

No it doesnt. knew I was forgetting something. Wish I would have seen this before I got that damn LS6 intake. Oh well means I'll be spending a little more than I planned. Just means I have to get the wife something bigger to make amends, she has been wanting that bug shield and seat covers for her truck though . The timing chain I know will be straight foreward but what about the oil pump will I have to remove the pan to replace it? Might even step up the pump to one of the walbro and just wait a month to get the DR's. Maybe with all the suspension mods those 315's will have a slim chance to hook off the spray.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

UMI adj T Arm=Ordered
    UMI adj panhard rod =Ordered
    Pacesetter LT's =Ordered
    TSP Torquer V3 cam kit = Ordered
    Wieand Intake =Ordered (Ebay snipers pissed me off on the LS6 and this was much cheper so I'll just port the hell out of it).
    Now just waiting on the part number from Epp for the 9 inch.
    Still price shopping on the oil pump and timing chain. And brother in law will order trans parts and stall monday or tuesday.

Now just time to wait for the UPS guy to bust some knuckles. But I think I am going to bust my self imposed limit of 5k by 500-800$

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

It'll hit 11s. Nice mods. Can't wait to get more on mine!!

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

LS2 timing set= ordered
    SLP Ported LS6 oil pump= ordered
    160 Tstat=ordered
    Yep I'm busting my budget big time.

Thread Information