Thread: My cars sick

clebouef04

My cars sick

00' WS6 70,000

My check engine light is flashing first out. When at an idle my exhaust is popping like I have changed the cam or something. It also has a different smell to the exhaust. Car hesitates to take off with not nearly the power it had before. At about 1200 rpm's doing 60-70 mph my car feels normal. I've had this car 5 yrs and never had any trouble with it. Could it be a plugged converter, plugged foulled, coil pack problem, I don't know. I was wondering if anyone has had any of these problems before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Sounds like an ignition problem. Check all your wires and make sure none of them are burnt or disconnected. I like to wiggle the wire to the connectors to make sure it's all properly connected. Also, pull your plugs out to make sure non of the gaps are closed. You may also have a bad 02 sensor. Have the car scanned to see what codes pull up.

Yeah, sounds like a misfire. Flashing SES light isn't good, if you don't know anyone with a scanner "baby" it down to the nearest Autozone to get the code(s) read.

clebouef04
    Ok Thanks for the help I'll try this on Thursday when I get a day off. In the mean time any other recommendations would be appreciated so when I tear in to this I can trouble shoot mutiple items.

Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998
    Sounds like an ignition problem. Check all your wires and make sure none of them are burnt or disconnected. I like to wiggle the wire to the connectors to make sure it's all properly connected. Also, pull your plugs out to make sure non of the gaps are closed. You may also have a bad 02 sensor. Have the car scanned to see what codes pull up.
    I would say because of the smell and loss of power probably an O2 sensor, but the popping, loss of power and sound at idle make it sound like an ignition issue as Red stated..........fwiw.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS.6

Flashing ses light = misfire check you plug wires make sure none are burned or broken

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    sounds like the MAF. if it goes bad then it will cause the comp not to be able to meter the air coming in it will run to rich or lean and cause it to mis fire and the exhaust to change smell.

clebouef04

my car's sick

Scanned car came up multiple cylinder mis-fires.Changed plugs,wires, and fuel filter. Found gunk (hard residue) in gap of spark plug on drivers side - cylinder closest to the fire wall. Ran car afterwards it feels like it gained a cylinder but, did not solve the problem. The exhaust still smells-is popping, SES light is still on and no power. Where is the MAF located? It has to be that or a bad coil pack right? Help me out guys....

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

did you have the codes erased...actually you might not be able to erase a misfire code, might have to wait it out or disconnect the battery for 15 mins. The MAF is in front of the throttle body...in the middle of the air intake tube. From the outside it looks like a square and has a flow sticker on the side pointing towards the throttle body. Make sure the wiring harness is connected to it and that it's flowing in the proper direction. Take it out and clean it with electrical cleaner before replacing it...they are pretty expensive...and don't put your fingers inside of the maf at all...good luck

Thread Information