Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my car is a dog

the slow and the curious

Exclamation my car is a dog

Recently bought 98 T/a, all stock with A4 trans, dont know what is up but off the line this thing is like Mother Teresa on ludes. This car won't do a standing burnout. I know it is hot out, and I am running cheap gas, and yes my engine is pinging from time to time but c'mon.

Sure, once it is going it rages pretty good, but I just want to burm my tires at A stop sign when I Feel like it. I have no need to do 120 miles per hour or more, that's how people die..Soooo Thinking about 373 gears but my first quote was 7 to 8 hundred bucks GEEZ!! Any thoughts out there

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well from an old "714" guy I can tell you this......
    1. Stall Convertor.
    2. Dyno Tune.

Before you go throwing money in mods get those two things taken care of FIRST.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

Smile

You do not state what gears you have, however with a stock motor, converter and 2.73's, it will be pretty tough to burnout. I had a stock setup with 3.23 gears and bearly chirped at all from a dead stop.

I went to 3.73's with a mild Y3000 2.0 STR Yank converter, and now I chirp 2nd @ less than 1/2 throttle.

If you go with 3.73's couple it to a Vigilante 3200, or a Yank 3600, and hold on for the ride of your life.

SteveC

CamaroSSx1999
    what does pinging from time to time mean? i got 4.10's to put in my m6.... is that gonna get me in the 12s? or would 373s be better

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I hope the pinging you have isnt detonation from running cheap gas....

the slow and the curious
    Yes, I am running cheap gas, if their is such a thing. Hey Camaro SS Pinging is the brief noise you hear typically going uphill just after a gear change like from 2nd to third. Usually caused by cheap gas. It is refered to as detonation it is not a good thing. Also I had a 00 ss with 410 gear and m6. My clutch slipped waaay before I got any 12 second times 12s are very possible but you are going to have to NAIL every gear perfectly. no clutch slip and slicks Personally I did not like my m6 with 410 gear seemed all I was doing was shifting. sooo anyhoo just seems 800 bucks was a little steep for gears.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Yes, a converter should be your first mod.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

carsnow
    before I bought my firehawk I took out an auto ws-6 or t.a cant remember. THat car was a dog, I put it to the floor at 30 and it didn't move. Driving my m6 firehawk a few weeks after was like night and day.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

get a converter

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by carsnow
    before I bought my firehawk I took out an auto ws-6 or t.a cant remember. THat car was a dog, I put it to the floor at 30 and it didn't move. Driving my m6 firehawk a few weeks after was like night and day.
    Zboner and i tested an A4 ws.6 CE [the yellow one] and it was poopy too. really shooked us both. We figred with a dyno-tune [stated by Sarge] that thing could be leathal.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by the slow and the curious
    Recently bought 98 T/a, all stock with A4 trans, dont know what is up but off the line this thing is like Mother Teresa on ludes. This car won't do a standing burnout. I know it is hot out, and I am running cheap gas, and yes my engine is pinging from time to time but c'mon.

Sure, once it is going it rages pretty good, but I just want to burm my tires at A stop sign when I Feel like it. I have no need to do 120 miles per hour or more, that's how people die..Soooo Thinking about 373 gears but my first quote was 7 to 8 hundred bucks GEEZ!! Any thoughts out there

Check your driver side door jam, there is a build list and a bunch of codes, look for GU5=3.23 gears or for GU3=2.73 i think, (but its something low like that)

or when do you try and burn out? if you have been driving for a while and come to a stop and do it then you will not be able to do it because of heat soak. also your trans may just be worn out, how many miles on the trans? i had to have mine rebuilt a 74K from normal wear and tear man.

Black
    99 SS

oh and dont use cheap gas man, spend the extra cash it will run a hell of a lot better and you will be getting better gas mileage out of it

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Use premium fuel.
    If your car is pinging, your PCM will pull timing out. Retarded timing will make it run like a dog.
    If you cannot correct the pinging using premium fuel, you may have too much carbon built up, or you may be using a too hot of a plug.
    Once your pinging issues are cleared up, then you could look into tuning, gears, converter, etc., but you may find you don't need all that if all you want to do is bust the tires loose.
    If you continue to run your engine pinging, you would be far better off saving your money for a new engine instead of adding expensive performance parts, because it will only become worse.
    Also, I don't think it's possible to could get a good tune with it detonating, so that would be a major waste of $.

Here's a link for the straight dope on ping.

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Service%2...reignition.htm

Good luck!

Bob

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I think part of it is also perception (Seat of the pants feel). My wife has a an 00 Z28 A4 when whe went to the track last time the car was consistantly running 13.4-13.5 @104. My best time is 13.2 @106 (mostly due to lack of traction on street tires). Mine is a 6 speed. Note also that was before the latest round of upgrades. Now my car always feels like it pulls like crazy from the dig in comparison to hers, her's feels slow but I know it is not. To tell you the truth I was a little pissed because her car is so consistant. The only change on her car was K&N. And mine it always depends on the not to good driver.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

dmnall
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC
    You do not state what gears you have, however with a stock motor, converter and 2.73's, it will be pretty tough to burnout. I had a stock setup with 3.23 gears and bearly chirped at all from a dead stop.

SteveC
    When I had my 02 Z28 A4 w/ 2.73 with just a Dynomouth, the car did burn the Eagle GSCs all day just @ 1/2 throttle launches. His car should be able to burn the rears as long as he starts running Premium Fuel. I know w/ stock Muffler, my Z28 did not burn out unless I was @full throttle w/ a little brake standing..

Charlie

Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by the slow and the curious
    .....Sure, once it is going it rages pretty good, but I just want to burm my tires at A stop sign when I Feel like it....
    Buy cheapest, crappiest tires you can find... you'll light them up all day long.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

keep in mind these cars pcm's have a high and low octane timing chart to use. If low octane fuel is used, the low octane timing advance is used, so performance will obviously be decreased. Use high octane 92-93 and you shouldn't have any issues spinning the tires

Black
    99 SS

did you check to see if it read GU5 or GU3 yet? that is the code for the gear ratios

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

that cheap gas your running has a lot to do with it. the computer cuts back timing jus to avoid the detonation your experiencing for starters. if you have enough detonation you can have engine damage and thats detrimental to power. but start with rear end gears a converter and a tune as sarge stated.

Thread Information