silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Is it my brakes?

I think I know what the problem is, I just want to double check with you guys.

I can be driving 55 mph or 90 mph and there is no shake from the sterring wheel but the only time the wheel shakes is when I apply the brakes. I think its the rotors, that they might be warped or wore out and need to be changed.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Most likely the rotors are warped. Does it pull to one side? How old (miles) are the rotors?

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

It doesn't pull to one side, the sterring wheel just shake when I brake.

I guess the rotors are the stock because it only has 27,000 miles on the clock.
    2002 Firebird Formula - 5.7 Liter - "Last of the Breed"

Navy Blue Metallic

27k for the car total? or was that on the rotors?

That's not much for them to be warped unless the car was doing some serious road course like AutoX.

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

Could also be a stuck slide pin that the calipers move on, that would cause 1 side of the caliper to move, and not the other
    and cause vibration.

Navy Blue Metallic

^^that too. Kinda why I was asking about it pulling to the side. Might be a stuck caliber too.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    27k for the car total? or was that on the rotors?

That's not much for them to be warped unless the car was doing some serious road course like AutoX.
    27,000 on the car but I'm guessing the rotors are the original rotors that came with the car.

Let me update you on my car, when I bought the car 5 years ago it needed 4 new tires but it didn't shake.

Navy Blue Metallic

Is it my brakes?

look at your fluid too.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Time to do a brake service on the car at the very least. You will want to remove, clean and lube the caliper pins with synthetic caliper grease. Flushing the brake fluid is also recommended with the age of the car. In many instances, time is harder on a car than miles.

This being said, upgrading to some R1 Concepts slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads, together with braided brake hoses, will make a world of difference in your car's stopping power and feel.

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Very good advice Jeff, Thanks.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

If you grab some crossed drilled and slotted rotors from R1, you will NOT be disappointed. The stopping power is like nothing you have ever felt before. Absolutely worth it !!! I did the upgrade about 5 years ago, and its night and day difference. Plus, they look bada$$!! LOL
    1998 Pontiac TA, stock heads, FAST 90, FAST 90 TB, FLP LT, off road y-pipe with cat delete, flow master muffler, comp cams 54-457-11 223/231-610/617-112 LSA, Pro charger D1SC with FMIC @ 8psi, FROST tune, VIG 3200 stall, built 4l60e, snow meth kit, MOSER 12 bolt 373 gears, Derale 13900 trans cooler.

Warped rotors on these things are not all that uncommon. I've had 3 LS1 powered 4th gens and they all have had the issue. One of them went back to the dealer 3 times under warranty for the problem and they still never really fixed it. After the dealer was done with it, I tried 2 different brands of blank rotors as I found some had vastly different fin counts and thicknesses, some are cheap china crap, some are better, then tried 2 different types of pads. Those all warped within 50 miles.
    It wasn't until I went with a drilled and slotted rotor along with a ceramic pad that the problem stopped.

The only 4th gen I've had that never had a warping rotor issue was our 97 Z we had, and I suspect since the LT1's had a different brake package (ie: smaller I believe) It wasn't until we started owning 98 and up LS1's that this issue started for us.

If you got 27,000 miles out of the stock setup before pulsating started I'd say you did pretty good from the experiences I've had with them. I'd definately do as others suggested here and go with a drilled and slotted rotor, a quality pad, and it shouldn't be an issue anymore.

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Warped rotors on these things are not all that uncommon. I've had 3 LS1 powered 4th gens and they all have had the issue. One of them went back to the dealer 3 times under warranty for the problem and they still never really fixed it. After the dealer was done with it, I tried 2 different brands of blank rotors as I found some had vastly different fin counts and thicknesses, some are cheap china crap, some are better, then tried 2 different types of pads. Those all warped within 50 miles.
    It wasn't until I went with a drilled and slotted rotor along with a ceramic pad that the problem stopped.

The only 4th gen I've had that never had a warping rotor issue was our 97 Z we had, and I suspect since the LT1's had a different brake package (ie: smaller I believe) It wasn't until we started owning 98 and up LS1's that this issue started for us.

If you got 27,000 miles out of the stock setup before pulsating started I'd say you did pretty good from the experiences I've had with them. I'd definately do as others suggested here and go with a drilled and slotted rotor, a quality pad, and it shouldn't be an issue anymore.
    I have had similar experiences to this. I bought Auto Zone rotors and they lasted well. Lifetime Guarantee. Then decided I wanted to go with slotted and cross drilled rotors with ceramic pads and they are even better.

I also changed my '03 and '11 Vette to same set up .... much better with hardly any brake dust.

Good luck ... Mecinoid

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I installed our R1 Concepts rotors and Hawk HPS pads maybe three years ago now. They still look and work great with zero warpage. I can haul the car down so much better now at the top of the track.

Thread Information