red
    2000 WS6 TRANS AM

Is my 2000 LS1 MAF OKAY

So I got to looking around at the MAF due to a hesitation problem...(posted a few Threads but haven't solved it yet) and found that I was not getting the same voltage readings on my 2000 LS1 MAF as what was described in the Haynes Manual that I picked up at an auto parts store???. From ground to the referance back to the PCM i measured like 4 volts and when I moved the throttle i saw the voltage increased a bit. the Haynes Manual said to expect .2 VDC to 2.0VDC and if I felt that I had a problem with the MAF to unplug the connection and measure the resistance of the maf to insure that it was not Wide open with no resistance.????

I checked and my Maf and it is open and has no resistance between gnd and ref or ref and battery voltage or GND to Battery voltage pins???? I thought I should have some resistance? I went to the local parts store and had them bring down a rebuilt MAF and I measured the resistance on that sensor and it appeared the same open and no resistance? can anyone explain this? The only thing that I can think of now is I may have had the Meter set to the wrong resistance level???? I will have to check tomorrow if I see any resistance? does anyone know what the resistance should be???

I can tell you this...if yer not using a high impedance meter you can't measure things like that. It will fry the sensor.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have the '02 factory service manuals and can PM you the diagnostic procedure for the MAF as it is probably the same for an '00. Only problem is we are going away for 4 days and I'm not sure if I will have time tonight to locate the info. Send me a PM on Sunday if you can not find an answer by then and I'll see what I can do. I also have a hacked up MAF that came with our car. I would gladly mail it to you as a "test piece". The car ran fine with it, but had a very slight off idle stumble that you only noticed pressing on the throttle while in park.

red
    2000 WS6 TRANS AM

Voltage check

Since the voltage across the MAF sensor ( ground and ref.) is 4 volts instead of 2 volts is my maf bad?????

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

You are supposed to check that with the sensor unplugged. Are you?

red
    2000 WS6 TRANS AM

resistance check / voltage check

I was trying to check the resistance when the sensor was unplugged, and the car was off. The probes were placed directly on the ground and signal pins on the MAF 3 pin connection.

The voltage was checked with the car running. the connector was on and I placed two pins in the back of the connector so i could "back-probe" the connector and measure the Voltage across gnd and the signal pins.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Are you throwing any kind of MAF codes at all? If you're throwing a maf ckt high code, check the ground for the MAF. It's behind the drivers side cylinder head. Make sure the MAF has everything it needs. Here's a few tests that you can run using frequency. Gnd lead to Ground and Red Lead to 5V ref wire. Do this with the MAF connected. KOEO initial you should see a high frequency then a drop to 300 hz. KOER warm idle about 2.3khz. 2500 rpms no load 4.2 khz. You should not see any glitches in the test.

Thread Information