Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Exclamation NEED INFO FAST!! MSD LS1 Blaster Coils Worth The Upgrade?

Ok let's just say we could get these blaster coils for a steal.... Would it be worth getting them? Would there be a notice in performance gain or with out the ignition upgrade would it be useless?

Keep in mind that this steal for these coils wont be around for more then another day or 2 from today so i need to make a decision now!!
    Last edited by NeeD4SpeeD; 11-16-2005 at 06:18 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Depends how much of a steal...reg price is like 70 a pop, i'd get them is they were like half that. Don't know of anyone that has them...so wouldn't know about any gains, might get better gas milage. They sure do look purtyyyy though

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Mike @ Stealth Performance has them on special right now for the best 'steal' you're ever gonna see. Sale runs to Wednesday 11/30.

I can tell you that you will NEVER see these for $35/ea

I'm picking up as set - definitely can't hurt. I've used MSD Multiple Spark Ignition boxes in all of the previous muscle cars I've owned and could definitely tell the difference in performance. Albeit, those were all carb cars with distributors, but the basic principle behind MSD would enhance any ignition setup...

I know what your saying but lets think about this....(this is why im hesitant to get these) The very least you would EVER find these would be $450.... So for $450 which you could spend on other performance that will net you ALOT more power... Is it worth ALL thta money for MINOR gains and to dress up the engine basically because the ignition kit isnt released yet for the coil packs???

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Well, my thoughts are these: If you don't have any mods except bolt-ons then the performance you gain for the $$ is not gonna be as noticeable as let's say, a cam or heads.

But if you already have done major engine improvements, and have just about everything else built to the hilt - then adding the MSD coils would just help you in your quest for eaking out the last little bit of power.

So basically they wouldn't be the first item I would purchase if I had an otherwise stock or bolt-on engine. It's not like adding these is gonna net you 40 rwhp increase. But I've already spent considerable $$ to get to the numbers I have (and a new heads/cam/intake/TB setup is in the works for this winter to get me well into the upper 400 range with 346 N/A).

So for me these will help to pick up that little extra. Once you've gone so far (and don't want to go with some type of FI or larger cubes) there are no longer any mods left that will gain you big, noticeable increases in power - then you will go with as many tiny incremental increases as you can.

Mike is having a great sale, I have the $$, so I'll pick up a set. I've definitely wasted more $$ over the years trying/swapping out different combos so it's all relative...

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

No, the only thing these would do is dressup the engine compartment, think about it, the stock coils are rated @ 49,000 volts, AND IS SENDING THE SPARK ONLY THROUGH 10" OF WIRE TO THE PLUG. I coud see if there was 3' between the coil and plug, then you would want the lowest ohm wire, highest volt coil available.

Save your money, or better yet send it to me.

SteveC

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

The entire principle behind the MSD Coil Products is Multiple Spark Discharge which means that the plug is fired VERY rapidly numerous times when called on instead of the (1) firing commanded by stock coil.

It is not a question of max voltage used that is being compared. I don't know what the MSD coils are rated at voltage wise, but I would assume they are equivalent to the voltage rating of the stock coils.

So the benefit of the MSD products has always been the fact that the plug is fired with a hi voltage numerous times in it's cycle instead of just once. We're probably talking about at the most, milliseconds between firings (probably nanoseconds). This yields a 'firestorm' of spark to more efficiently ignite the mixture. This is what gives you more full combustion and a better flame front which yields more power, smoother running, and better throttle response. Their products have been technically proven to increase power in any type engine they were used on.

In the old days there was only (1) coil, so paying $45-50 for a coil was no big deal. The pricing of these on sale comes close to that - problem is, with the LS1 you now have to buy (8). That's a bad thing when it comes to paying, but it's a good thing if you look at it from the point of view that if it is proven that MSD products increase power on an engine using only (1) coil to fire (8) plugs (which means coil has to come to saturation VERY quickly in-between firings), just imagine what it will do when it is using (1) coil per plug where the saturation cycle of the each coil is divided by (8) compared to (1) firing sequence - this allows the coil to come to saturation much more quickly and efficiently.

In my case I am at the point of trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of the engine and don't mind spending the $$ toward that realization.

As I stated in my earlier post; if you only have a bolt-on car don't spend the $$ on these thinking that you'll see great gains or SOTP feel - spend your $$ first on major mods that will yield greater gains/mod.

If you're at the point similar to me - then they are definitely worth it.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

do a search over at ls1tech, a few have tried them with positive results. Yes they are pricey, but I think the biggest gains reported have been just to smooth everything out. Better throttle response as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6
    Mike @ Stealth Performance has them on special right now for the best 'steal' you're ever gonna see. Sale runs to Wednesday 11/30.

I can tell you that you will NEVER see these for $35/ea

I'm picking up as set - definitely can't hurt. I've used MSD Multiple Spark Ignition boxes in all of the previous muscle cars I've owned and could definitely tell the difference in performance. Albeit, those were all carb cars with distributors, but the basic principle behind MSD would enhance any ignition setup...

What's there web address or phone number? Thanks

Well i guess your right.... I dont have basically almost everything you could possibly bolt on so maybe i will jump for them soon... Wouldn't hurt... Hey like you said i've spend my money on other more useless things!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

If you can get a great deal, go for it. Otherwise, save the money for something else.

05 Wrangler

How do they multi-spark though? The coils are still getting the same signal to only fire once....they haven't made a ignition box yet, I just don't see how they do it. I would love for these to actually work and be worth the money because i've always put msd on all my vehicles.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

What's there web address or phone number?
    They are a sponsor of this site...

www.stealthperf.com

They have a post regarding this sale in the Sponsor Section

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

How do they multi-spark though?
    I can't pretend to say that I know how they acheive the multiple sparks - but apparently they have built in the multi-spark technology that was previously in one of their magic boxes (such as 6AL) into each coil so that when it gets the command to fire it rapidly pulses the voltage.

MSD does have their own forum here:

http://www.msdignition.com/forums/in...load/index.php

You can got to the site to read about the coils here:

http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_19_8245.htm
    Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 11-19-2005 at 12:45 AM.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

think about it, the stock coils are rated @ 49,000 volts
    The MSD coils are rated at 150mA Spark Current vs. the stock 49mA

Plus they are in the development stages of an ignition controller for our cars that will plug directly into these coils and allow you to program certain functions of the ignition.

BTW this sale will only happen one time

I only have 2 set of coils left

went though 12 sets like wild fire

05 Wrangler

Said their 578 a set on your site....doesn't look like much of a sale to me, that's still 70+ a pop.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Mike-

Tried calling yesterday - missed ya, just tried again - left a message. Save me a set or let me know where to call you today to place the order...

Sorry, just got real busy at work

-Jay-

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Ordered my set today so it looks like you're down to (1) set now!

Thanx mike

I think as far as the blaster coils go i'll wait till the ignition box comes out so i can have a complete unit instead of half.

Thread Information