boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

modify coil mounts with head/cam setup?

i have a 98 with perimiter bolts on the heads. i guess all aftermarket heads have the center bolts instead. what all do i have to change/modify?

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

you have to buy the mounting bracket that the coil packs mount to on 99+ cars. I may actually have a set. I can look for them later for you and if I still have them and you end up buying some center bolt heads I would be more than happy to send them to you.

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    you have to buy the mounting bracket that the coil packs mount to on 99+ cars. I may actually have a set. I can look for them later for you and if I still have them and you end up buying some center bolt heads I would be more than happy to send them to you.
    thanks bud. just let me know.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I will. I am doing another heads and cam swap this weekend for my roommate so I have to dig out all my crap anyways

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

I will. I am doing another heads and cam swap this weekend for my roommate so I have to dig out all my crap anyways
    is there anything else i will need to get?

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

do you mean as far as mounting the coil packs? there isnt anything else that you should need since I am pretty sure you will be able to use all the same hardware. Hopefully Orion can chime in here with an answer on that for ya. Either that or you can PM him. he just did the perimeter to center bolt swap.

As far as just going from perimeter bolt to center bolt you will also have to buy new valve covers because your new heads will not come with them. I am pretty sure the PCV system also has to be modded in some way but I am not sure about that. Orion can cover that for you as well. That is really all I can think of though off the top of my head.

BTW I did find those brackets if you decide that you need them and I may be able to scrape together some valve covers as well if you cant find a good deal on some. Just keep in contact and PM me if you need anything

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pretty much what he said. There is a difference in the valve covers though. It would be easiest if you find a set of LS1 center bolt covers because the pcv system would remain the same. If you get LS6 covers they won't have the pcv port on the drivers side so you'll have to mod your pcv hoses to make them work. Also, you'll most likely run into a bolt issue mounting the brackets and coils up because your new brackets won't have bolts with them. I'll have to look and see what size they were. I forget off the top of my head. I just bought a large metric assortment of nuts and bolts because I can always use extra bolts.
    I just went and looked. I used m5-.8x25mm bolts with washers and nuts on them to secure the coil packs to the brackets. You could redrill and tap the bracket holes to fit whatever size you wanted but that with nuts worked just fine. Only have to do it once because the brackets can be taken off with the coil packs attached. I reused my old cover bolts to secure the brackets to the new cover.

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

do you mean as far as mounting the coil packs? there isnt anything else that you should need since I am pretty sure you will be able to use all the same hardware. Hopefully Orion can chime in here with an answer on that for ya. Either that or you can PM him. he just did the perimeter to center bolt swap.

As far as just going from perimeter bolt to center bolt you will also have to buy new valve covers because your new heads will not come with them. I am pretty sure the PCV system also has to be modded in some way but I am not sure about that. Orion can cover that for you as well. That is really all I can think of though off the top of my head.

BTW I did find those brackets if you decide that you need them and I may be able to scrape together some valve covers as well if you cant find a good deal on some. Just keep in contact and PM me if you need anything
    thanks for the help. i ran into some financial probs, so im probably only gonna do cam, chain and oil pump right now. but i will let you know when im ready for heads. maybe you will still have the brackets.

boycott wal-mart

silver
    98 T/A WS6

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    pretty much what he said. There is a difference in the valve covers though. It would be easiest if you find a set of LS1 center bolt covers because the pcv system would remain the same. If you get LS6 covers they won't have the pcv port on the drivers side so you'll have to mod your pcv hoses to make them work. Also, you'll most likely run into a bolt issue mounting the brackets and coils up because your new brackets won't have bolts with them. I'll have to look and see what size they were. I forget off the top of my head. I just bought a large metric assortment of nuts and bolts because I can always use extra bolts.
    I just went and looked. I used m5-.8x25mm bolts with washers and nuts on them to secure the coil packs to the brackets. You could redrill and tap the bracket holes to fit whatever size you wanted but that with nuts worked just fine. Only have to do it once because the brackets can be taken off with the coil packs attached. I reused my old cover bolts to secure the brackets to the new cover.
    thanks. my project got postponed for a little while. but when im ready i will use the advice you gave. i might need some more too

Thread Information