Thread: Metal shavings

red
    2000 trans am

Metal shavings

Ok so I recently installed the polluter cam from tick along with a new timing chain and oil pump, new head bolts etc ... I put seafoam in my oil to clean everything as well as I had to change the oil due to the new cam which I had put 100 miles on already so today while I was dumping the old oil into a container I found metal shavings not sand like shavings but actual shavings could this be that the seafoam loosened all the gunk up along with the metal shavings or am I shit out of luck and I should start saving for a new motor, also I never had any shavings in the oil prior to today
    Polluter,410 gears,ls6 intake,pacesetter long tubes ,tsp true duals,slp pulley,slp lid,stock pp throttle body,strano springs n sway bars,founders performance stb,Lca's and Lca relocation brackets,adjustable phb and phb relocation bracket,umi 3point sfc's ,diamond stg2 clutch,koni 4/3s,mgw shifter

dbl clutch'n like i shld WICKEDLS1's Avatar

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

It really depends on the size of the shavings, if they are small it could just be some from the new cam just breaking in, hell i get a little metal on the drain plug every time i change my oil and it worried me at first but is just something im used to now. however if there is ALOT of metal in there you could be looking at a more serious problem but i dont see how a cam swap and everything else would cause a problem UNLESS the oil pump was not installed correctly on the crank which could cause oil loss to the main bearings and potentially destroy the crank and maybe rods. post a pic if you can and we will go from there

red
    2000 trans am

Its a high flow pump and there's not drop in oil pressure and I mean none at all

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

A drop in oil pressure would be most likely bearing issues and since a bearing is a steel cap with copper and lead coatings the shavings would not be from that. I think you may have some particles from the chain set, oil pump and cam. Change the oil again and keep an eye on your oil pressure and the magnetic oil pan plug. Good luck.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

what slp said does it seem to drop pressure when it warms up to operating temp or just intermittently?

red
    2000 trans am

It doesn't drop any oil pressure what so ever

sebring silver
    Y2K SS CAMARO

just change the oil and filter and check it every so often and see if it is still doing it

Thread Information