Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Manual Fan Switch

Hey guys I am planning to install a manual fan switch and I read a tech article on the web and I now have this question. Are the resistors in the write up for the LEDs or for the fan? I have no desire for LEDs as I have a aftermarket switch set in place of my cig lighter. But I don't know if running the switch without resistors will hurt the fan. Here is a link to the article.

http://www.xious.com/camaro/install-fanswitch.html

Anybody good with electronics? Thanks!!
    2000 Z28 Pewter, M6, T-Tops, K&N Intake, LS6 Manifold, SS Hood, MSD Ignition, Magnaflow Cat-Back, Stage 3 Clutch, Short Shifter.

Black
    '98 Z28

The resistors are for the LEDs. If you don't want the LEDs, you don't need the resistors.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    The resistors are for the LEDs. If you don't want the LEDs, you don't need the resistors.
    This. They're indicator LED it appears, without the resistors, the LED's would pop instantly.

Your fans are relayed, so that's what they're tapping into, the relay firing wire, not the power to the fans themselves.

Indicator lights are a nice idea, but I think they'd get obnoxious in the location.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    This. They're indicator LED it appears, without the resistors, the LED's would pop instantly.

Your fans are relayed, so that's what they're tapping into, the relay firing wire, not the power to the fans themselves.

Indicator lights are a nice idea, but I think they'd get obnoxious in the location.
    I had manual fan switch on my old trans am. I didn't have the indicator lights. Every now and then is forget to turn it off when I got out of the car. Never harmed anything, just drained the battery down a bit. If anything, having one indicator light as a reminder to turn it off isn't a bad idea.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    I had manual fan switch on my old trans am. I didn't have the indicator lights. Every now and then is forget to turn it off when I got out of the car. Never harmed anything, just drained the battery down a bit. If anything, having one indicator light as a reminder to turn it off isn't a bad idea.
    I'm doing the MOD as well over the summer (I Hope) and plan on finding delay-off timers to install in the circuit to prevent what happened to you. Flip the switch and walk away with no concerns .

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Any idea what size wire to use? I thought I read 14 gauge somewhere, does that sound right? And one more question, will this prevent the fans from switching on when the PCM tells them to? by lpoking at various wiring diagrams I don't think it will but just want a second opinion.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    Any idea what size wire to use? I thought I read 14 gauge somewhere, does that sound right? And one more question, will this prevent the fans from switching on when the PCM tells them to? by lpoking at various wiring diagrams I don't think it will but just want a second opinion.
    14 is fine, youmight be able to go smaller, but 14 is safe.

I believe that if you have activated the switch, it will run the fans no matter what the PCM does. I read somewhere in there that if your switch is off, the Pam will control the fans as usual. Id have to see the hole wiring diagram to be sure, but if you have your fans on low, and PCM wants them on high, it may override your switch. I'm not positive on that, but that isn't such a bad thing.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I have one of my fans wired to a manual switch. My passenger side (low speed fan) turns is turned on by the pcm at the set temp. Then my drivers fan (high speed fan) I turn on at anytime with the switch. That wire I have only tapped into the original wire still going to the pcm also. So in therory the pcm can still turn that fan on also. I haven't gotten it hot enough to test it. lol

14ga is fine.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 03-23-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Thanks guys!

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    14 is fine, youmight be able to go smaller, but 14 is safe.

I believe that if you have activated the switch, it will run the fans no matter what the PCM does. I read somewhere in there that if your switch is off, the Pam will control the fans as usual. Id have to see the hole wiring diagram to be sure, but if you have your fans on low, and PCM wants them on high, it may override your switch. I'm not positive on that, but that isn't such a bad thing.
    This is exactly how mine worked in my old car.

Thread Information