Thread: maintenance

kthmc33

RED
    00 WS6

maintenance

Sorry about all the newbie question, just want to learn how to do simple maintenance myself. Have a 00 ws6 a/t. Have 22k on it. Besides changing the oil what else should I consider…..draining coolant? If, I drain the radiator can I just add a new 50/50 mixture back (am I over analyzing) this procedure? Is there any particular air filter I should consider? I have never changed the air filter (purchased vehicle 3 years ago have only put 10k on it) Pretty sure car has a LID. Just looking to learn thanks for your patience.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

hey its cool. i would recommend changing all fluids. especially the brake fluid, its hydroscopic meaning that it attracts water. it can even suck water molecules thru the rubber hoses. get ya a amsoil synthetic air filter as well

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

If you wanted to make sure you get all the deposits out of the radiator, you should flush it instead of just draining and refilling it. Don't get me wrong, the drain/refill procedure will be helpful, but will not get all of the old fluid or deposits trapped in there out...you can purchase simple flush kits from local auto stores. They also have them at Walmart and are relatively inexpensive (as opposed to having it flushed at a shop, where you could pay $100+ for this procedure).

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Also, it's never a bad idea to change the transmission fluid, power steering fluid, and rear differential fluid

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Changing the air filter, as you mentioned, is a really good maintenance practice; personally, I use a reusable K&N air filter. Likewise, it's always good practice to inspect the hoses & belts under the hood for any cracks or wear. Other possible maintenance procedures include changing the fuel filter, removing any corrosion from the battery posts, changing wiperblades if needed, inspect the spark plug wires, replace the spark plugs, check the brakes, and inspect (and replace, if necessary) the PCV valve.

kthmc33

RED
    00 WS6

Thanks for all your help.. just read a great post replacing plugs. Will look into a flushing kit and K&N filter...how hard is it to replace fuel filter and pvc?

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

You are very welcome! The fuel filter & pcv are both relatively easy to change; especially the pcv....I'll post up some directions to help you out...
    Last edited by jujofields; 04-26-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: addition

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

pcv valve check & replacement:
    1. The PCV valve is located in the front of the passenger side valve cover.
    2. With the engine idling at normal operating temperature, pull the valve (with hose attached) out of the rubber grommet. Place your finger over the end of the valve. If there is no vacuum at the valve, check for a plugged hose, manifold port, or the valve itself. Replace any plugged or deteriorated hoses.
    3. Turn off the engine and shake the PCV valve, listening for a rattle. If the valve doesn't rattle, replace it with a new one.
    4. To replace the valve, pull it out of the end of the hose, noting its intalled position and direction.
    5. When purchasing a replacement PCV valve, make sure it's for your particular vehicle, model year, and engine size. Compare the old valve with the new one to make sure they are the same.
    6. Push the new valve into the end of the hose until it's sealed.
    7. Inspect the rubber grommet for damage and replace it with a new one if necessary.
    8. Push the PCV valve and hose securely into position in the rubber grommet.
    9. ALL DONE!
    Last edited by jujofields; 04-26-2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: addition

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

fuel filter replacement:
    1. Relieve the fuel system pressure (I will post how to do this next)
    2. Raise the vehicle and support it securely on jackstands.
    3. Grasp the plastic fuel line-to-filter fitting and turn it 1/4-turn to dislodge any dirt.
    4. Use compressed air or aerosol carburetor cleaner to blow or wash the dirt from the fitting.
    5. Use needle-nose pliers to squeeze the filter bracket and detach it from the chassis.
    6. Depress the white plastic quick-disconnect tabs and detach the fuel lines from the filter (wrap a rag around the fuel line to absorb the fuel that will run out).
    7. Use one wrench to steady the filter, then unscrew the fuel line fitting and remove the filter (if available, use a flare nut wrench on the fuel line fitting).
    8. When installing the new filter, place the bracket in position, then use needle-nose pliers to push the lower tab into the opening in the chassis.

*Note: There are two types of quick-connect fittings at the fuel-line-to-filter connection. Both types (metal-collar connectors and plastic-collar connectors) can be disconnected with a simple plastic tool available at auto parts stores like Autozone, AdvanceAutoParts, etc. ---very helpful & inexpensive.
    *Note: The aforementioned quick-connect fittings have an O-ring on the end of the fuel line. When reassembling the connection, put a drop of engine oil on the O-ring to ease assembly or else a swollen O-ring may tear and cause a fuel leak!

kthmc33

RED
    00 WS6

Thats for all the "how To" instructions

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

procedure to relieve fuel pressure:
    1. Remove the fuel filler cap-this will relieve any pressure built up in the tank.
    Next, use either one of these two methods:
    2a. Attach a fuel pressure gauge, available at most auto parts stores, to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Place the gauge bleeder hose into a container to collect the drained fuel. Open the valve on the gauge to relieve pressure, then disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery.
    2b. Locate the fuel pressure test port and carefully place several shop towels areond the test port and the fuel rail. Remove the cap and, using the tip of a screwdriver, depress the Schrader valve and let the fuel drain into the shop towels. Be careful to catch any fuel that might spray upward by using another shop towel.

*By relieving the fuel pressure before starting the steps for changing the fuel filter (or working on anything that has to do with the fuel lines or connections), you won't run the risk of fuel spray resulting!*

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by kthmc33 View Post
    Thats for all the "how To" instructions
    You are very welcome! I hope this information helps, and don't hesitate to put up a reply on here or PM me if you need help with anything else...

Thread Information