Thread: M6 Trans swap

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

M6 Trans swap

Can a M6 trans from a 93-97 be swapped into a 08-02 Camaro A4? I think the answer is no, but wanted to ask.

i love the color of my car, so buying a new one is real tough decision. the only donor cars i think i could afford are going to be 93-97s. or i would have to wait a couple of years to get a 98-02 with some miles and age in my price range.

thanks

kool-aide

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

I'm not sure if you can, but if so, you will need a different bellhousing to match up.

But what is your price range? Because there are some sites out there that sell T-56's for under $2K. But you will also need a couple little things to complete the swap as well. GMHTP magazine featured an article on an A4 to M6 swap a few issues ago. I found it enlightening.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah i saw that article. the guy spent like 5k and did all the work himself. funny, only only paid 7500 for my car, lol...

well it is either part ways with my rare color that i absolutely love, or figure out how to get a cheap donor car.

i figure a donor car would have all the parts i need. they may not be the best parts, but i would still have a starting point. i just didn't know how far off the 93-97s would be. meaning, how many parts would be different.

thanks

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ yeah he spent around 5K but they had a bunch of high dollar upgrades -it was FAR from a stock swap and I believe the first thing they did was rebuilt the 6 speed-which isnt even necessary in most cases. You can get a decent low milage M6 for around$1400.00. I believe the whole job can be done for $2200.00.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    ^ yeah he spent around 5K but they had a bunch of high dollar upgrades -it was FAR from a stock swap and I believe the first thing they did was rebuilt the 6 speed-which isnt even necessary in most cases. You can get a decent low milage M6 for around$1400.00. I believe the whole job can be done for $2200.00.
    i'm guessing that is 2200 in parts? if i scrounge around for the best deals? i doubt i would do the swap myself. i'm adventurous but i don't think i would attempt this. i know a real good tran shop that charges 85, i think, an hour. i don't have an official quote but my guess would be about 5-6k for parts and labor.

they said a donor car would be an option versus hunting for all the right parts. they mentioned a donor car so i wouldn't be nickle and dimed to death on each part.

i have been toying with the idea of trying to get a full parts list just to find out what i need. does any one know if that GMHP article is an accurate and full parts list?

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Yeah.. donar car.. I'm doing this to my 87... puttin in a 97 LT1 with the rest of the tranny swap from a '95 Z28.. lots of work.. and not exactly cheap.. but should be a lot of fun..
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Yes my estimate would be for parts only with included new clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing,clutch slave cly,bellhousing,used M6,shifter,clutch pedal assembly,interior panel for shifter/shifter boot and whatever else is needed-crossmember?.Alot of people part these cars out and I dont think getting all the parts from one person would be anymore than what I am estimating. Just my opinion.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Yes my estimate would be for parts only with included new clutch,pressure plate and throwout bearing,clutch slave cly,bellhousing,used M6,shifter,clutch pedal assembly,interior panel for shifter/shifter boot and whatever else is needed-crossmember?.Alot of people part these cars out and I dont think getting all the parts from one person would be anymore than what I am estimating. Just my opinion.
    yeah, i poke around ebay from time to time.

it also seems like there would be cutting involved. the GM HP article mentioned cutting.

of course i'm sitting here staring at a white 97 SS anv edition with 160k miles. it looks hot for the age and mileage. owner is asking 5600. But my color blue is just so hard to find and i love those bright and le manns style blues.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

i got just the tranny n belll housing out of a 99. pm me if you need it. its cheap

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    yeah, i poke around ebay from time to time.

it also seems like there would be cutting involved. the GM HP article mentioned cutting.

of course i'm sitting here staring at a white 97 SS anv edition with 160k miles. it looks hot for the age and mileage. owner is asking 5600. But my color blue is just so hard to find and i love those bright and le manns style blues.
    The cutting involved is a small hole for the slave cylinder. I think a little cutting where the shifter goes is necessary as well. Nothing major -like 1/8" steel.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

The cutting involved is a small hole for the slave cylinder. I think a little cutting where the shifter goes is necessary as well. Nothing major -like 1/8" steel.
    yeah nothing major, until you screw it up, lol.

Thread Information