Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Cool Lucas oil fuel treatment in LS1 engine?

has anyone used this with LS1 engines over 60k miles and seen any improvement?
    can it do any harm?

I use this stuff in my 93 buick every other oil change or so, and deffinately helps the car out a little to just run a little more steady..

any thoughts?

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-04-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Yes, I have about 1/2 of a gallon jug left. I put it in all the cars, not just the LS1's. It's a cleaner as well as a lubricator for fuel pumps, fuel systems, carbs, intake valves, pistons etc...., and is better than most of the harsher fuel cleaners out there.

You can also use 2 cycle engine oil with a TC-W3 rating as a cheaper alternative, which I've also been doing for a while too. $11 for a gallon verses $30, and it accomplishes the same thing.

I think it was Sarge that did a write up on it a long time ago. The only draw back is you have to measure the 2 cycle engine oil out exactly to 1 oz. per every 5 gallons of gas. Where as the Lucas stuff is more forgiving and doesn't matter as much.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I used their Fuel System cleaner in my old car. Worked pretty well for me.

bleen
    2000 SS

Im a huge believer in lucas products ... oil stabilizer is badass,, havent lost a motor yet and i beat the shit outta my cars.. just gotta make sure your oil is always at the full mark .

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

I can't believe Sarge has not chimed in on this.
    The TCW3 outboard 2stroke oil works great,my fuel pump is quite again and I averaged 29 mpg on the way to panama city beach last weekend in my 05 m/c ss according to the onboard computer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes, I have about 1/2 of a gallon jug left. I put it in all the cars, not just the LS1's. It's a cleaner as well as a lubricator for fuel pumps, fuel systems, carbs, intake valves, pistons etc...., and is better than most of the harsher fuel cleaners out there.

You can also use 2 cycle engine oil with a TC-W3 rating as a cheaper alternative, which I've also been doing for a while too. $11 for a gallon verses $30, and it accomplishes the same thing.

I think it was Sarge that did a write up on it a long time ago. The only draw back is you have to measure the 2 cycle engine oil out exactly to 1 oz. per every 5 gallons of gas. Where as the Lucas stuff is more forgiving and doesn't matter as much.
    Buy one of the Lucas fuel injector cleaner bottles(the little ones). I measured 5.5 oz of TC-W3 in it. Fill it up and put half of it in every fill. I removed the stickers of the bottle, fill it up to 3oz and mark it down with a sharpie on the side. I get 1-2 treatments with the little bottle. Works great.

You mean like this???

I'm a little more picky than that, so I measured off each ounce. The top one being 4 ounces which will do 20 gallons.

The issues I don't care for are...

A) It's a very small snout to poor a 1 gallon jug into, especially when it's windy outside and your trying to poor it at the gas pump. Unfortunately the small snout is necessary to get it into the fill tube of some of my cars.

B) When I fill up, I never let the car get below a 1/4 tank, and sometimes I fillup when I have a 1/2 tank when planning a road trip,,,,,so I have to pay close attention to the amount pumped into the car,,,and then add the additional correct amount of 2 cycle oil,,,hence the reason I have it measured off in 1 ounce increments. Sometimes I only pump 5-7 gallons of gas,,,other times it's 12 or 13. So when I have an odd number like that I have to measure precisely. I can't just fill the bottle completely and then try to poor it in and stop halfway hoping I stopped at the right amount. It's the entire contents of the bottle or nothing on most of my cars, so it has to be measured.

Too much of this stuff in the tank makes the car run like shit. So watch what you poor in. Otherwise it works great.

The advantage the Lucas oil treatment has over 2 cycle oil,,,,,it doesn't matter how much of the Lucas you poor in, it has never affected how the car runs. For instance If I had a full 20 gallons, along with a full treatment of Lucas, and I ran the car down to 5 gallons and decided to fillup again.
    I pumped in another 15 gallons, ( I still have 5 gallons of treated fuel in the tank) With Lucas it doesn't matter if I dump another full bottle of a 20 gallon treatment in there, because it just has never affected how the car runs.

Give or take 5-7 gallons has never mattered, you don't have to measure it,,,just dump a full bottle in there.
    Not the case with 2 cycle oil,,,,so be carefull.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-06-2011 at 08:10 AM.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I use the lucas frequently and love it. I'm a big fan.
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I use it every time I put fuel in any of my vehicles. I have about 20 or so of the little bottles and fill them from the gallon jugs of Lucas. My SS has 156k miles on it (all me) and still running strong.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You mean like this???

Click for full size

I'm a little more picky than that, so I measured off each ounce. The top one being 4 ounces which will do 20 gallons.

The issues I don't care for are...

A) It's a very small snout to poor a 1 gallon jug into, especially when it's windy outside and your trying to poor it at the gas pump. Unfortunately the small snout is necessary to get it into the fill tube of some of my cars.

B) When I fill up, I never let the car get below a 1/4 tank, and sometimes I fillup when I have a 1/2 tank when planning a road trip,,,,,so I have to pay close attention to the amount pumped into the car,,,and then add the additional correct amount of 2 cycle oil,,,hence the reason I have it measured off in 1 ounce increments. Sometimes I only pump 5-7 gallons of gas,,,other times it's 12 or 13. So when I have an odd number like that I have to measure precisely. I can't just fill the bottle completely and then try to poor it in and stop halfway hoping I stopped at the right amount. It's the entire contents of the bottle or nothing on most of my cars, so it has to be measured.

Too much of this stuff in the tank makes the car run like shit. So watch what you poor in. Otherwise it works great.

The advantage the Lucas oil treatment has over 2 cycle oil,,,,,it doesn't matter how much of the Lucas you poor in, it has never affected how the car runs. For instance If I had a full 20 gallons, along with a full treatment of Lucas, and I ran the car down to 5 gallons and decided to fillup again.
    I pumped in another 15 gallons, ( I still have 5 gallons of treated fuel in the tank) With Lucas it doesn't matter if I dump another full bottle of a 20 gallon treatment in there, because it just has never affected how the car runs.

Give or take 5-7 gallons has never mattered, you don't have to measure it,,,just dump a full bottle in there.
    Not the case with 2 cycle oil,,,,so be carefull.
    yeah like that. Nice bottle.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Use 1oz of TCW3 per 5 gallons of gas. Lucas does not have the cleaning properties as the TCW3 has. TCW3 also has better lubrication properties.

Lucas Oil Stabilizer is just viscosity enhancers. Period. Does nothing else.
    If your sump uses 6 quarts just substitute 1 quart of 20-50 and you gain much more benefits than Lucas Snake Oil. Virgin Oil Analysis doesn't bullshit>

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Use 1oz of TCW3 per 5 gallons of gas. Lucas does not have the cleaning properties as the TCW3 has. TCW3 also has better lubrication properties.

If your sump uses 6 quarts just substitute 1 quart of 20-50 and you gain much more benefits than Lucas Snake Oil. Virgin Oil Analysis doesn't bullshit>

i knew you would chime in!!! i have to agree with all the hyped up marketing bs.

the only additive/cleaner that i have been steady on using is auto rx. used to use marvel mystery oil and seafoam but havent done that in awhile

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

I have used the lucas fuel treatment in our cars before.
    Didn't notice much change. I tried the TCW-3 about a year ago. Been running it ever since in the f-body. I now run it in our other cars too. Much better deal and like Sarge said it works better.
    f-body has 75K on it. About 10K with the TCW-3.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post

What's your take on sea foam? It says that you can add it to your oil?

Sea Foam is a pretty harsh cleaner. I don't care to use it myself.

Regular oil changes, a good fuel system cleaner as mentioned and that's all I do. Remember that fuel is also a lubricant for valves, valve guides, valve seats, and also makes it's way into the combustion chambers, piston tops etc....

Since lead is no longer used in fuels, we lost the fuels lubricating properties. That's why the 2 cycle oil is a good thing to add, it lubricates all these parts and well as cleans. If you use it regularly you shouldn't need to use harsh chemicals like Sea Foam.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Listen guys....I'll try and not preach here but give the short version. Ol FirebirdJones is right on the money...........

On Fuel Treatments. Todays fuel is some shitty stuff. Blame ethanol. We lost lead and that was the lubricant. Todays fuel...well....It is corrosive as hell. Attracts moisture like a water magnet.... You need a lubricant and a cleaner. Now ethanol has some cleaning properties.....but a good upper cylinder cleaner is a good thing. Lucas? Think about this for a second......how good is a product that you just "dump in" and really have no measuring required? Pretty damn sparse. Use TCW3 or MMO or nothing. I really like/have heard/seen thousands of folks who have been utilizing the TCW3 with great success.....I hate "shock" fuel treatments. SeaFoam is a shock treatment. You put that shit in your fuel and I wont. My gaskets/injectors/fuel pump thank me.

Oil additives? Well....if your running any SM or the latest SN oils you really are gaining absolutely nothing by adding anything to your oil. I use to like AutoRx but with the new standard "SN" I will be honest....I think any of the SN rated oils are better without it today. So I can no longer recommend AutoRx.

I will say there are motors out there (Toyota mainly) that just flat ass are sludgers.
    If you have a sludger motor (piss poor PCV design usually) or you just bought a used car and don't know the maintenance record....I would prefer to see you run 20% Marvel Mystery Oil the last 1000 miles of your oil change interval at the least for a few OCI's. MMO is a gentle cleaner. Works great. I run it occasionally for an entire OCI. So if I have a 6qt sump....I would put in 5 quarts of my regular oil and substitute one quart of MMO.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Is the Mobil clean 5000 5w30 a SM or SN oil?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Post SN replaced SM

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Is the Mobil clean 5000 5w30 a SM or SN oil?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    SN replaced SM as of 10/1/2010. All of the brand name oils will be SN if they are not already. So far I've only seen Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Amsoil currently available as the new SN. This of course varies per location so it might be different in your area.

That is unless you buy RP which is still mostly API (SL)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

So let me get this straight. You guys are adding 3ozs of TCw3 to every full tank of gas?

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    So let me get this straight. You guys are adding 3ozs of TCw3 to every full tank of gas?
    Yep, if you have a 16 gallon tank that's close enough.

It's 1 ounce for every 5 gallons you pump in. So I measure and replenish as necessary at every fillup.

Just a little tip, if you get a little over zelous with it,,,you tend to leave a mild smoke trail, but you didn't hear it from me,,,lol.

Thread Information