Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

LT1 radiator in an LS1??

Are they the same radiator? Long story short i just picked up a 99' z28 and everything is in great condition except the radiator has a small pinhole leak, i didnt notice till i got home with the car), i think he had something stopping it because i inspected the s**t out of the car, either way i need a radiator and a buddy of mine has an lt1 radiator i could have for cheap....do lt1 radiators fit ls1's?

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Yes but you will need to block a hole or two

also diff if for m6 or a4

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Yes the LT1 radiator fits an LS1 system...with the exception you need to cap the lower drivers side stem. But overall the LT1 radiator is larger than the LS1....so bottom line is you get better cooling capability.

Here's some GM part numbers so you know what you're working with:

Year Application Core GM P/N
    1993-1996 5.7 man/auto 1.375" 52466004
    1997 5.7 man/auto 1.000" 52472602
    1998-1999 5.7 man 0.937" 52471356
    2000-2002 5.7 man 0.937" 52487149
    2000-2002 5.7 auto 0.937" 52487150
    Last edited by ntimid8r; 02-23-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

As stated above. And it has a 1" core instead of a 7/8" core.....

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

awesome, thanks guys. i really appreciate it

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

ok i have the old radiator out, its crazy im doing all this in the rain and people are looking at me like im nuts! how do i cap the stem? with wat? is i guess is wat im asking?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i know LT1 radiators have been put in LS1's, but i thought some minor modification was needed to make it fit...it was either a little tall...or a little thick.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

ok i bought bypass plug/caps and used one of those with a metal crimp thingy.

Gonna put it all back together now.......hope all goes well

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Alright guys, I got everything put back together fired it up and everything seemed to be in good working order.....i let it idle for about ten minutes looking for leaks (as best as i could, its pouring rain.....anyways the car temperature is good the radiator doesnt seem to be leaking so i take it for a test drive and after about two miles i hear this squeaking sound (only while idleing, not while the car is moving) its not very loud and then it proceeds to get louder little by little. Well the tranny cooler line was leaking and i think the tranny was squeaking? would it make a squeaking sound? if it got low on fluid because i checked it and it was a little low so i added some and the squeaking seemed to go away?? since i bought the car yesterday it has had a squeak at cold start that goes away when it warms......but the squeak im talking about now didnt go away at all....till i added the tranny fluid....so my questions are...

1. would a tranny squeak like that if it got low on fluid?
    2. If it was the tranny is my tranny damaged now?

oh and its an auto......
    Last edited by ggino85; 02-24-2010 at 04:24 AM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

you prob just got coolant on your belt....itll make that happen

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

really? man i hope thats all it is, but i just have a feeling its more than that though...... i took it to the store lastnight after i put tranny fluid in and it was fine for the mile and a half on the way to the store, no squeaking or anything but as soon as i pulled in the shopping center it started with the squeaking again. So i get home and its squeaking pretty loud, it doesnt do it under throttle, it only does it when your idleing, coasting or deccelerating......as soon as you give it gas it goes away, oh and it also makes a little squeak or squeal as soon as you shut it off......now it was dark when i got home so i dont know if the tranny connected to the radiator is still leaking (it was dark and raining so im not sure) but i think it is...... so idk, im now waiting for it to get light out so i can go out and see wats up......any ideas/opinions are greatly appreciated......
    Last edited by ggino85; 02-24-2010 at 04:23 AM.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

your tranny shouldnt "squeak" regardless if it is low or not. Sounds like somethin on the belt or one of the pulleys. if it only squeaks at idle maybe the tensioner is worn out.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Is there a way to tell if its the tensioner? i mean like to verify thats it, (or just put a new one and see i that fixes it?) also thank you for the tranny answer, i was really hoping it wasnt the tranny.... could tranny fluid have leaked from the radiator (where the tranny line connects at the top) and somehow got on the belt and thats whats making this squeaksound, SPIKO mentioned coolant but what if tranny fluid got on the belt, would it squeak?

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    Is there a way to tell if its the tensioner? i mean like to verify thats it, (or just put a new one and see i that fixes it?) also thank you for the tranny answer, i was really hoping it wasnt the tranny.... could tranny fluid have leaked from the radiator (where the tranny line connects at the top) and somehow got on the belt and thats whats making this squeaksound, SPIKO mentioned coolant but what if tranny fluid got on the belt, would it squeak?
    that could cause a squeak. check for any type of fluid on the belt. then check to see if you can wiggle the tensioner and idler pulley by hand. also, its it a sqeak or a squeal that youre hearing? to me a squeak is something a pully does when its worn out. a squeal is the sound the belt makes when its slipping on the pulley. also check the belt for cracks and tears. if you got the spare dollars i would pull the belt, check the pulleys and get a new belt anyway. unless its brand new. if it only does it at idle, that kinda says tensioner or idler pulley to me, as the higher rpm, the tighter everything gets.

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

ok thanks, its still dark out but as soon as it get light out im gonna get out there and check those things.

oh and one thing i forgot to mention is it didnt squeak when i bought the car three days ago it only started the squeak after i did the radiator swap, could the guy i bought the car from have lubed the tensioner or something some how to make it not squeak loudly for a day? because it had a really, really faint quiet squeak on a cold start the same day i bought it but that went away once it warmed up, but now it squeaks like crazy, i bet the previous owner did something to temperary stop the squeak.....
    Last edited by ggino85; 02-24-2010 at 05:37 AM.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

If you get coolant on the belt it will squeak for awile too

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

Oh ok....., yeah spiko had mentioned that to me, that would be awesome if thats all it was, should i spray engine degreaser on the engine and belts to make sure all of it is clean? or spray that belt lube stuff on the belts?........

blue green chameleon
    1998 Trans Am

I can wiggle the tensioner pulley to the right by hand, thats bad wright?

If i get a new tensioner arent i suppose to get a new belt also? i thought i read that somewhere on the forum.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

yes get a new belt if you do the tensioner

I just washed my belts down with water let them dry then drive for a few hours squeaking stopped after that

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ggino85 View Post
    I can wiggle the tensioner pulley to the right by hand, thats bad wright?

If i get a new tensioner arent i suppose to get a new belt also? i thought i read that somewhere on the forum.
    yea you should get a new belt since you already have the old one off. besides, a loose tensioner might have a bad effect on the belt.

Thread Information