White
    2001 SS #3504

LSX swap Questions

Ok I'm debating on going with a new style lsx engine in my 80 Malibu. I guess the real question here is what block should I try to find? I have a friend that rebuilds and buy's wrecked 3/4 ton chevy's so he has a few 6.0 liters laying around that I can get. are there any specific differances between those engines that I need to look for? Like block numbers. thanks John

hugger orange

they are iron blocks so it will be alittle heavier than an ls1 or ls2....but very strong platform to get big power....i see a 408 stroker in your malibu's future

red
    2000 camaro ss

that 6 liter block is real nice. especially if you have a connection to them, just get one. . . .most guys with 3/4 ton gassers really don't abuse 'em (lack of maintenance is another story). get the latest model your buddy has and roll with it. carb it if ya want. prob what i'd do unless you love FI. no matter which motor you wind up with, get a set of ARP rod bolts, they are the weakest link to these otherwise bulletproof motors.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Thanks for the input. He told me today he had an 04 6.0 with 32000 miles on it that he would let me have for 600 bucks with the harness and computer. it was in a rollover truck. according to him all I would need is a new bracket to mount the accessories on. it was broken in the crash. Looks like a X-mas present to myself is comming.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    Thanks for the input. He told me today he had an 04 6.0 with 32000 miles on it that he would let me have for 600 bucks with the harness and computer. it was in a rollover truck. according to him all I would need is a new bracket to mount the accessories on. it was broken in the crash. Looks like a X-mas present to myself is comming.
    Sounds like a great deal, I'd pick it up!!

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Sounds like a great deal, I'd pick it up!!
    +1 i agree!

red
    2000 camaro ss

...does he have any more? . . .better hope it turned off.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    Geez. I'd be all over that!

Great deal. I personally like the iron blocks over the aluminum.
    They are cheaper to machine and can be bored more than once if not much is taken off the first time. Nice for a refresh later down the road, you really get your money's worth out of the block. Unlike the aluminum, it's bore capability is .005 at best or you have to resleeve which is an expensive proposition. They are basically throw away blocks in my opinion. Once used up it's not worth the added expense to save it.
    If building a high HP LS engine or stroker I'd go straight for the iron block and wouldn't look back. It's only about a 60-70 lbs. weight penalty,,,,not enough to worry about.

red
    2000 camaro ss

i will agree and disagree with jonesy. he is right in all that he said, and you can definately find some weight to take off your front end to equal the overall front end weight of a factory aluminum blocked car, but i just really really like workin with aluminum and the idea that i CAN be lighter.

Hell Yes on the iron block!

The car he wants put it in is an '80 malibu, if its a 2dr it should be mad light already.

Hell Yes on the iron block!

The car he wants put it in is an '80 malibu, if its a 2dr it should be mad light already.

Those G-bodies are the last of the full frame cars, great to build from,,,but they aren't exactly mad light,,,not sure what you mean by that but with a small block chevy they'll tip the scales at 3400+ no problem. My father had 3 of them. Not sure if 34-3500 is mad light to you or not??? Thats without many options.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Those G-bodies are the last of the full frame cars, great to build from,,,but they aren't exactly mad light,,,not sure what you mean by that but with a small block chevy they'll tip the scales at 3400+ no problem. My father had 3 of them. Not sure if 34-3500 is mad light to you or not??? Thats without many options.
    Thanks man, I thought they were lighter than that. Never owned one though...wanted to.

Thread Information