white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

LS6 oil venting issues

Hey guys,

I need some help with my LS6 motor venting oil through the dip stick & oil filler neck seal. The engine is a trick 500HP 346 CI NA motor. It is apparently creating high crankcase pressure at high rpm (6,800) and oil wants to find it's way out of the engine. I have done a small bit of research on breather kits, etc...and would like to know if anyone else is having this problem and how you solved it.

Thanks,

Bill

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Use the search feature for the many posts on homemade crankcase venting apparatus. There are some good threads with pictures and Home Depot part numbers to save alot of money on this. Sounds like just what you need to solve this. Now a question--you've got this engine in a 914? I want to see pictures!!!!!!!!!Sounds awesome.....

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

LS6 in a 914...yup!...low weight...high HP..= FUN!

Here are a few pics of my custom Porsche 914 running a 500HP LS6. 2500 LBS

Bill

is the engine completely broken in?a leak down test will tell you if you have too much leakage past the rings.if you don't then its time to start upgrading the crankcase vent system to handle the 500hp.if the rings are leaking that badly then you will need to change ring designs or go with different pistons.i would probably change the PCV system to something that uses OPEN k&n air filters in each vavle cover.what is happening now is you are building up so much internal crankcase pressure the pcv system can't handle the flow,so the pressure blows out the dip stick etc.if leak test is ok you might want to try using two pcv valves.running one from each valve cover seperately.but remember you are dumping all that crappy oil vapor back into the intake.i would certainly look into open filters.of course that will change your tuning.nice thing about open filters is you can still use your pcv valve to keep the engine clean at slow speeds but at WOT the excessive pressure can get out.

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into doing the K & N filters on each cover.

Bill

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

sweet ride-is that a Porshe 5 speed transaxle? modified I hope--bet that thing is fast as h*ll!! Wanted to add that instead of KN filters on the valve covers-if they spray oil around-run hoses to a separate breather box. It'll help separate the oil vapors from the pressure. There are plans for oil separaters in the crankcase breathers on here also if you use the search function.

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Yes...that is a Porsche 5 speed (915) from a 1986 911 in the photo. It has since blown up and been replaced with a beefier (930) 4 spd gearbox from a 1988 911/930 turbo. The gearing is real tall. 56 mph in 1st, 97mph in 2nd, 142mph in 3rd, and 190mph + in 4th gear. It runs 11.4 in the 1/4 mile and runs 0-60 in 3.7 seconds...tough to hook up though.

Bill

white
    74 Porsche 914 LS6 500HP

Oil breather

I bought a Moroso catch can and K&N filter to vent pressure from the crankcase. I'll let you know how well it works....
    Bill

Thread Information