Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

LS6, No EGR Help!

hoping to get some info before i go through with a purchase. im currrently in CA, the mother of all emissions testing. Im hoping to pick up a Ls6 intake used from some members on here. I know they dont have the EGR hookup like the Ls1 does, so by getting an LS6 intake i must remove the EGR hose right? Will blocking this off cause me to fail emissions? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by airmaxon1 View Post
    hoping to get some info before i go through with a purchase. im currrently in CA, the mother of all emissions testing. Im hoping to pick up a Ls6 intake used from some members on here. I know they dont have the EGR hookup like the Ls1 does, so by getting an LS6 intake i must remove the EGR hose right? Will blocking this off cause me to fail emissions? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!
    I am in the exact same boat. Everything that you described in your thread is exactly my situation. I just went ahead and did it. I have not gotten my car emissions tested yet but i have a feeling that if we don't have the egr hose going in there a reputable smogger will fail us. I did mind you leave the actual egr canister thingy with the sensor in it still attached to the manifold. The reason i did that is so if they do a visual maybe they won't know that there was supposed to be a hose attached to the manifold. Hope this helped~Chris

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

use the cam out of a 5.3 litre iron block... and delete the egr functions when you tune it... thats mostly what the factory did w/ the 01-02 models...

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by FORD RECOVERY EXPERT View Post
    use the cam out of a 5.3 litre iron block... and delete the egr functions when you tune it... thats mostly what the factory did w/ the 01-02 models...
    I am not sure about the 1999 models but I heard that the year 2000 trans am had a better cam then 01-02 and that it works better with the ls6 intake. Why would he want to downgrade?

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

where did you here that??? the 2000 still had egr... the 01-02 used this cam (5.3) to pass emissions w/o egr and still gained hp from the install. thought that was the OP's intentions???

2000 Trans Am

where did you here that??? the 2000 still had egr... the 01-02 used this cam (5.3) to pass emissions w/o egr and still gained hp from the install. thought that was the OP's intentions???
    When I first installed the ls6 intake there were people on this forum saying that the 2000 had a better cam then the 01-02. I am not sure why you would think that the egr would lower horsepower?

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

would an aftermarket cam accomplish the same thing if i get the egr tuned out? i was planning on an LS6 intake now and a mild cam in a few months

Black
    1998 Trans Am

They have any ls6 intake with egr provisions, that way you don't have to go swapping cams and stuff.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

unsure about the aftermarket bumpstick.... the ls6 w/ egr is an slp item, not that readily available...

egr does slightly lower the hp, why else would we delete it?!?!?!?
    the gain i was refering to was from the ls6 intake

2000 Trans Am

But even if he gets a different cam he's still not going to pass the emissions "visual" check without the egr.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

then how would the 01-02 models pass??? there is no "visual" check here in ...
    if the sniffer passes it, your good to go.

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    I am in the exact same boat. Everything that you described in your thread is exactly my situation. I just went ahead and did it. I have not gotten my car emissions tested yet but i have a feeling that if we don't have the egr hose going in there a reputable smogger will fail us. I did mind you leave the actual egr canister thingy with the sensor in it still attached to the manifold. The reason i did that is so if they do a visual maybe they won't know that there was supposed to be a hose attached to the manifold. Hope this helped~Chris
    what was the need in quoting what he said???

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

yeah i saw the slp ls6 intake, too expensive for me, was looking to just pick up a used oem ls6 without the EGR. i know a shop around here thats not really into there inspections, just do the sniffer and kinda wing the rest

I really wonder if the inspection people are that good, to know the difference between a 98-00 F-body and an 01-02 F-body to the point that they look at whether the EGR tube is there or not????

If they bitch about that I would think they would be flunking the visual for 01-02 cars due to lack of knowledge???

Mr. Ford Recovery is right on the money. 98-00 cars had the larger camshaft with EGR. The 01-02 cars came with LS6 intakes, no EGR and a smallish truck camshaft to compensate. A trade off if you will.

Maybe someone here can chime in as to whether a 98-00 car can pass the sniffer with the LS6 intake (no EGR) and running the stock 98-00 camshaft????? Not sure if the extra overlap on the slightly larger camshaft would cause enough issue or not without some tuning tricks???

But I have seen larger camshafts like the popular 224 duration cam pass a sniffer,,,of course the lobe seperation spread out far enough makes that easier. I believe a good tuner should be able to make it work.

Blue/Green Chameleon
    1999 Firebird

alright thanks for all the info guys!

Black
    99 Formula

Ive seen adapters to keep egr with ls6, dont remember where, i have slp lS6 inatake on 99 M6 formula with TR224 cam with 114 lsa, passed no problem. You will fail without egr. Im in CA.

orange
    99 z28

i'm in IL but i passed the test with a cam, full intake magnaflow exhaust and open cutouts, cracked me up, just go to a guy that looks like he's into cars - worked for me. no visual or sniffer here though, as long as the obdll passes you're good (as long as you're not red flagged)

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Question on EGR delete,

Are you guys blocking off the EGR? Doesn't it throw codes?

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Yes, you have to get that tuned.

Thread Information