silver
    2002 camaro ss

ls2 or 6.0 truck ls2 or fix up a spare ls1? opinions please

Hi guys i have the opportunity to buy a ls2 out of a 06 gto for 2600 complete up to the pcm. I was thinking of swaping it in my 2002 ss, but i know i have my options to swap in a truck 6.0 or i could just get a another camaro ls1 block and build it up. . i want to keep my stock engine for smog purposes, but im not worried about getting pulled over for having a pumped up engine, because i dont play on the street cause of another crazy ca law ( commercial drivers license).

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Welcome the club bro! I'm on the same boat man.
    But what's your plan? All motor? Boost? Nitrous?

I was thinking on getting a lq4/9
    But I wasn't sure Because it's 80+ heavier.
    My second option was an ls6 but they are expensive. I didn't want to build an ls1. The cheapest motor I found in my area are the 6.0s not the ls2.
    So I think I'm going for that.

What's your Goal on horsepower?

silver
    2002 camaro ss

500+

I want to gona go with a all motor . yeah the 6.0s are so cheap , but yep the weight. Time to update n kick some asphalt the fifth gens

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

my goal is 450+
    i know weight sux,,but 86 lbs is my brothers weight and i feel no difference when hes on the car so, in my case ill just get the 6.0 has more hp than ls1.. and stronger motor..safe for 150 shot of nitrous.. so is not that bad..

what cam and heads are you planning to get?

silver
    2002 camaro ss

Afr 205s and a texas speed thumper lol
    1le slp ss 2002 m6 custom tb . coolent bypass. umi subframe connectors. struttower bar. msd wires. decent driver lol

yellow
    2004 gto

6.0 truck is what i would go with. i was thinking of deleting p/s and swapping in a manual rack. delete the abs. move the batt to the back. there are many things you can do to offset the added weight. impact bumper deletes too.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

realisticly the 85 lbs wont be that big of a deal with that 6.0! You can use junk yard parts on that motor and make crazy hp. I would go for the 6.0 it just makes more sence dollar wise.

silver
    2002 camaro ss

thanks so im looking at oilpan, intake and heads that i need to change etc etc ... and wireing adaptors . okok , but 3 core or 4 core radiator with bigger fans with the cast iron block?

The cast iron 6.0's just make more sense. Machine work is cheaper, no liners to worry about, and they hold substantial HP. 80 lbs. is nothing to worry about.

No worries on heat either, they run just as cool as any aluminum LS out there. I'm running a 6.0 in my blazer, using a stock 3 core radiator and a pair of stock LS1 4th gen fans to cool it. With a 160 stat it runs 165-170 when I'm moving (depending on ambient temp) and that's Arizona heat. At idle I have 1 fan kick on at 185 and off at 180. I'll bet it doesn't run 1 minute and shuts off. It cools that fast,,,,the second fan (set for 190) never comes on.

Go the 6.0 cast iron route and you won't be disappointed. Just hope that you can find a decent one at this point. The last of the good ones were 2005 before GM went to cylinder deactivation and variable cam timing crap. All that stuff will add to the cost of both the engine and the swap.
    Since 05 and older are now getting to be 7 years old or more, most of them are high miles. Keep that in mind. You might not find something you would be comfortable slapping speed parts on without a refresh first.
    Or better yet, just buy the 6.0 short blocks done from Texas Speed, with a stroker rotating assembly you get a 402/408 and they are priced reasonable for what you get. Then throw any head and cam package you want at it.

Thread Information